WINNER ANNOUNCED! The Third Photographers' Lounge Salon Challenge - CHANGE

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
Well, I have cogitated long and hard on this one. I thought it was going to be easy, because I had something almost immediately in mind, but things change.

So.

The theme for the third Photographers' Lounge Salon Challenge is...

CHANGE

At one level this is "the act or process through which something becomes different" but there is more to it than that. You could explore the changing of the seasons, the passage of time, growing old, growing up, transitions of all sorts, rites of passage, inevitability, "plus ça change" and all that. Let your imagination run free!

The salon starts today October 15 and shall run for just over 2 weeks, ending at midnight GMT on Friday 31st October 2014

Oh, and I have gone back to "old school" for the rules, so I will curate, and select a winner; no voting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules are simple................

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

3. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

5. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the PL Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

6. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

7. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun!

8. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

At a Christmas Party a few years ago.

One of the elderly my wife cares for and one of the kids.

DSC09270.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

On May 25th, 2014, my grandfather passed away, aged 91. My grandmother was born 10 days after him in the same street; they knew each other since they were 5 years old, and had been together since 1939 (married since 1948; the war, and my grandfather having to hide from the Nazis, put a temporary hold on their relationship). They had both seen a lot and are/were very down to earth and calm about the thought of dying; my grandmother is coping better than I am, I think. They always loved going for walks in the forest together; now she does that alone, or with the grandchildren.

15548758011_8a8e057b25_b.jpg

forest walk by bartjeej, on Flickr

Our earth - change in action

To a geologist, the earth is always about change, usually expressed as changes that happened in geological times long past. But one of the fundamental principles of geology is that the earth's record has been formed by the same processes and changes we see today. And here is one of those present change agents in action; the guts of an active volcano, with molten rock near at hand, boiling water, sulphurous fumes, and a reasonably fast rate of volcanic eruptions / explosions. (White Island, NZ).

CM_SK_15.jpg

Raymond Noury, a native of Woonsocket, RI, is a Silver Star and Distinguished Flying Cross winner. He was the radio-operator and waist-gunner on the B-24 Liberator "Snow White" and was shot down 22-February 1944 over the town of Pradlo, Czechoslovakia. TSGT Noury survived a 5,000 foot fall with a damaged parachute by landing in deep snow drifts and was taken prisoner. Every year that the Collings Foundation B-24 Liberator stopped in Rhode Island, he'd make the trip, paying tribute to the ten men in his crew who perished. He passed away in his sleep in 2013.

CollingsFdn-2K7-22-WEB.jpg

To a geologist, the earth is always about change, usually expressed as changes that happened in geological times long past. But one of the fundamental principles of geology is that the earth's record has been formed by the same processes and changes we see today. And here is one of those present change agents in action; the guts of an active volcano, with molten rock near at hand, boiling water, sulphurous fumes, and a reasonably fast rate of volcanic eruptions / explosions. (White Island, NZ).

CM_SK_15.jpg

This is just stunning!

dead sunflower

Here in Oregon, over the summer, sunflowers seemed to light up every other garden with their golden, almost flaming hues. But now as colder autumn weather is upon us, the husks of their former glory can still be found, like ancient, gaunt sentinels to earlier, forgotten times of glory. It's part of a sequence that one gets used to. But even the dead, dried-out husks have a presence -

15575531571_56347772be_b.jpg

Dead sunflower
by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

Back