I feel such a klutz.........!

Petach

Hall of Famer
Name
Peter Tachauer
I stopped this guy in Brick Lane, East London as I admired his "full set". I took a quick shot and we chatted a bit. He told me he was a photographer also, and admired my GXR with zeiss lens. We discussed the merits of the Ricoh GR and my old GRD3.

He gave me his web details and said to keep in touch. We parted company. When I got home, I thought I would have a quick look at his web pages.

I was gobsmacked.....look at his portfolio. I feel so humble. (klutz is probably the wrong word to use)

http://jeffreybright.photoshelter.com/#!/index

15513732781_1293dca65f_z.jpg
Street Candid Portrait by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr

See no reason to feel a klutz Peter.

It's not like he's a member of Magnum (and even if he was, so what?)

We can't know every snapper out there.

I seem to remember you've exhibited, plus someone's paid you for your photography on at least one occasion, both of which is massively more than 99% of the members here, certainly including me

Pete,

A couple of things:

First, nice shot! Wicked cool definition on the full set.

Second, comparisons are meaningless. For years, as a young writer, I constantly compared myself to other writers and felt bad because I wasn't writer X or writer Y. Then I discovered that I had my own voice as a writer.

Pete, ya gotta dig your own furrow in the dirt . . . in the unique way that you are inspired to do it. Don't spend two seconds regretting that you don't do it the way someone else does it.

Just make sure you dig the best darn furrow that you know how to do. I checked out some of your smugmug gallery, and there are plenty of shots that I would be proud to have taken.

Cheers, Jock

+1 to what Paul said & from the small selection I've seen so far to be honest I generally prefer the photos you show here

His portfolio is impressive but part of that is being brave enough to go to all those places in the first place! Your own passion for what you see is just as valid and if you were to be in those same places I bet you'd come back with a very worthwhile set too :)

Freelance war correspondent - extremely dangerous work. He's cut from a very different cloth. I wish him the very best and admire the hell out of his work. And he probably could have just been some sort of model and made lot's of $$ instead of putting his ass on the line. Good on him...

-Ray

if you have to throw yourself into war zones to have rugged manly looks, then ill stick to my soft feminine face and soft couch! :D

but i will still envy his beard
.........i kinda wanna touch it..........

dont judge me!

lol!

He does look annoyingly good...:tongue:
as Christilou said, part of it is just being in those places, and not being afraid to stand out like a sore thumb making photos in dangerous and/or delicate emotional situations. His photos aren't pretty, but then I guess the situations he's photographing aren't pretty either, and making pretty shots isn't his job.

As an aside, I really appreciate firefighters all over the world, but the ones in Gaza must have it particularly rough every couple of years...

He does look annoyingly good...:tongue:
as Christilou said, part of it is just being in those places, and not being afraid to stand out like a sore thumb making photos in dangerous and/or delicate emotional situations.

Perhaps he hides behind his beard? :D

His work is quite remarkable. His willingness to get into the thick of very dangerous situations gives him tremendous opportunities for visually and emotionally arresting images.

Interestingly, just imagine that photos of similar composition were shot during a wedding, blood and death notwithstanding. Think about the form but just change the content. His style and eye are actually not dissimilar to those of high end documentary style wedding photographers.

Great photo! I wouldn't go take those kinds of photos unless I was forced to. Very dangerous, and has lead to many a photojournalist's untimely end.
It's good that some folk do it. And this guy certain looks the part. I wouldn't feel like a klutz. Just be glad you met him and captured that beard for us all to see...

What a timely encounter. And, I noticed that you did not turn this post, into the merits of the gear used, by the two of you. Thank you, for the post and link. Some amazing photography and processing, by both of you.

Pete, I'm with you on this, though I suspect you needn't feel like a klutz given the lovely images you make. I have enormous respect for photographers who work and deliver under duress and cover conflict. I certainly couldn't do it. They deserve our respect, for without them we would understand our world a little less.

Dear All, thanks for taking the time to look at his portfolio and making comments here. I felt a klutz when I posted, but have now rationalised in the cold light of day. I think what I meant to say was "humble" and I have used that word in the initial post. He was so gentle in his manner, and speech.....so unassuming. He just said "Cool, take the shot.....I am a photographer too" We talked about street stuff and how he would like to get back into it as his 5d mk2 was too big......hence looking for a compact such as Ricoh. He never let on once what he actually shot. Rude of me not to have asked, but we were so wrapped up in talking about the GRD3 v the GR.

Back