Ricoh Ricoh GR focus issues, is is a myth?

My experience was poor. I bought one from a local craiglister and kept it for a couple of weeks. Couldn't seem to get a sharp photo. Chalked it down to a defective lens shutter mechanism. Unimpressed.
But, many users here rave about them so my experience was probably a fluke. My advice if you get one is buy it new so there is a warranty, just in case.

Don, no offense meant at all, but did you check if you got stuck in macro mode or "Fixed" focus (the very useful, but uncommon zone focus system Ricoh uses)? The macro thing happened to me a couple at the beginning - mostly because of incompetent handling on my part (I often pressed the macro button after switching on the camera). I don't say you did this, but I can state that it was very frustrating at first, and it led to the effect you're describing. As you bought it second-hand, I'd suspect some settings that had been fiddled with (you can change just about every aspect of the camera's behaviour).

After figuring out what had gone wrong and basically just changing my grip on the camera, the GR has become not only my quickest camera when it comes to handling and deploying overall, and also my (current) IQ champ - which means swift and reliable focusing, naturally! The M10 comes in a pretty close second (and in front of the D90), it is a real focus speed demon, is of course more versatile and has the very useful EVF, but still can't match the GR when it comes to IQ and pure efficiency; it's also considerably bigger, no matter what lens I put on - well, at the moment, I shoot the M10 with the dedicated grip and the 12-40mm anyway - so, no size competition, but a very, very satisfying setup ... But that's a different story.

Anyhow, at the moment, if sheer speed is of the essence, I'd say pick one of the latest mFT cameras (the GM5! ... or the PL7, come to think of it - very handsome, fantastic price), put the Panasonic Leica 15mm f/1.7 or the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 (my choice) on it and be amazed at how quick and accurate the autofocus is; both those lenses are very sharp, too. But the GR surpasses any of those offerings in IQ - sensor AND lens quality - while being a lot more compact.

M.

Don, no offense meant at all, but did you check if you got stuck in macro mode or "Fixed" focus (the very useful, but uncommon zone focus system Ricoh uses)? The macro thing happened to me a couple at the beginning - mostly because of incompetent handling on my part (I often pressed the macro button after switching on the camera). I don't say you did this, but I can state that it was very frustrating at first, and it led to the effect you're describing. As you bought it second-hand, I'd suspect some settings that had been fiddled with (you can change just about every aspect of the camera's behaviour). After figuring out what had gone wrong and basically just changing my grip on the camera, the GR has become not only my quickest camera when it comes to handling and deploying overall, and also my (current) IQ champ - which means swift and reliable focusing, naturally! The M10 comes in a pretty close second (and in front of the D90), it is a real focus speed demon, is of course more versatile and has the very useful EVF, but still can't match the GR when it comes to IQ and pure efficiency; it's also considerably bigger, no matter what lens I put on - well, at the moment, I shoot the M10 with the dedicated grip and the 12-40mm anyway - so, no size competition, but a very, very satisfying setup ... But that's a different story. Anyhow, at the moment, if sheer speed is of the essence, I'd say pick one of the latest mFT cameras (the GM5! ... or the PL7, come to think of it - very handsome, fantastic price), put the Panasonic Leica 15mm f/1.7 or the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 (my choice) on it and be amazed at how quick and accurate the autofocus is; both those lenses are very sharp, too. But the GR surpasses any of those offerings in IQ - sensor AND lens quality - while being a lot more compact. M.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I probably didn't give it the chance it deserved. But I am quite happy with the Coolpix A now that prices have dropped.

Never had a problem with my GR, which ended up in Luke's hands before it moved on. I did a lot of macro on it too. Same reasons as Luke for selling, I don't visualize that wide. Prefer 35 (or 50..80) which Fuji answered. Sadly may have to part with it soon, and not for an upgrade. :(

Back