Nikon Nikon Df

The AF-D and original AF-Nikkor lenses work beautifully with the DF: I used an original series 50/1.4 AF-Nikkor that came out with the N2020 with it.

The 16MPixel sensor is just right for older glass, and the saturation count and low-noise is amazing on it. For film, The Nikon F2, Nikon SP, and Leica M3 where "The IT" for me. Now it's the Nikon DF, M Monochrom, and M9 as the "Digital IT" for me.

Better camera: If you are used to interfacing with a Camera via it's computer readout, the D600 and D800 follow the Nikon N8008 path. If you want to use direct controls following a traditional film camera- such as what the Leica M digitals give us, the Df is the better camera. It's like setting a Nikon F3 down next to a Leica M7.

The AF-D and original AF-Nikkor lenses work beautifully with the DF: I used an original series 50/1.4 AF-Nikkor that came out with the N2020 with it.

The 16MPixel sensor is just right for older glass, and the saturation count and low-noise is amazing on it. For film, The Nikon F2, Nikon SP, and Leica M3 where "The IT" for me. Now it's the Nikon DF, M Monochrom, and M9 as the "Digital IT" for me.

Better camera: If you are used to interfacing with a Camera via it's computer readout, the D600 and D800 follow the Nikon N8008 path. If you want to use direct controls following a traditional film camera- such as what the Leica M digitals give us, the Df is the better camera. It's like setting a Nikon F3 down next to a Leica M7.

Brian,

You are making this very tempting...

I went for a walk just now with the Df and the Nikkor 55/1.2 Ai...used it wide-open, no problem focusing on any part of the screen. With the gridlines on, it's just like the E screen that I prefer for the Nikons with interchangeable screens.

The question regarding this camera- how well does it do with manual focus lenses.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is with the Nikkor 55/1.2, wide-open. This is not an easy lens to focus on any camera. The Df finder is bright, and "Snappy".

at 5m, also wide-open.

attachment.php

attachment.php

It is very overcast today,

attachment.php

These are in-camera JPEGS, ISO 100.

This DSLR makes a good addition to my Digital Leica rangefinders. My Film combo was the F2AS, Nikon SP, and the M3. It's a good think I have an Amedeo adapter for S-Mount and Contax mount lenses. That is- unless Nikon comes out with a Digital S-Mount camera.

Brian-

Thanks for the great pointers on the DF!

When you manually focus, are you using the focus aid confirmation, or going purely by whether or not the subject looks in focus?

Temptation is growing ...

Must resist ...

I looked for focus confirmation when first using the camera- once I got used to the screen, could easily focus without it.

The close-up shot of the fence is with confirmation- the others are not.

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 293
I can confirm that Lightroom will process Nikon Df ".NEF" files if you change the "Df" to a "D4" in the Exif data. The Offset of the "f" is '0183'x (hex) from the beginning of the file.

DOS RULES, BABY! Took 20 minutes to write a FORTRAN-77 program to change all of the .NEF files in a directory to work with Lightroom. came right up, previews and all. I am in business.

What I need to do is find the ASCII "NIKON D4" in Lightroom and change it to "NIKON Df".

ISO 12,800.

Vivitar 135/2.3, wide-open. .NEF file processed using LR4.4.

attachment.php

So how long will Adobe take to support this camera?

A few more High ISO shots. This camera at ISO 5000 with some noise reduction in post (and onboard I'm sure) seems to be pretty close to the M monochrome at ISO 5000 without NR. I love CCD's for their native performance, but CMOS plus Signal Processing is mainstream. I've done a lot of signal processing code, maybe that is why I like to M9 and M Monochrom so much.

This is ISO 20000 with Noise Reduction in LR turned off, NEF exported straight to JPEG. Vivitar 135/2.3, wide-open, 1/100th Sec hand-held. Framed and then focused on the eye. This is a good example of dynamic range at High ISO for any camera. This camera is the perfect SLR complement to my M9 and M Monochrom, just like having the F2AS paired with the SP.

Attachments

• DSC_0205.jpg
    DSC_0205.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 329
Df at ISO 5000, Nikkor 55/1.2, wide-open.

attachment.php

M Monochrom at ISO 5000, 1943 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, "T" wide-open.

attachment.php

This is a timed light-show, this character is lit up for 15~20 seconds, the lights are computer-timed. I think the shadow detail in the Monochrom image is better preserved, and have some other images from the Df that are similar. With CMOS sensors, digital processing techniques include sampling the sensor multiple times and applying signal averaging to reduce noise and reduce blowing highlights. There seems to be a threshold applied to clip noise in very dark areas. With CCD's, what you see is what you collected.

attachment.php

In the above image, the midtones are a bit noisier than the deep black of the barrel. I have a shot at ISO 20000 that is even more pronounced. I suspect the on-chip signal processing algorithm "clips" the image in areas that would be dominated by noise. I am not going to over-analyze this, just got it out of my system, that's why I like CCD's- so I will not think about signal processing algorithms applied in the camera that I did not even write myself, and will turn off that section of the brain when using the Df. Which has a CMOS sensor.

Tried out the Retina Reflex lens on the Df today. inexpensive adapter bought off Ebay. Focus is just short of infinity, F2.8 covers the error.

11594373064_61d25ae593_b.jpg

Rendering is classic 1950s German Glass- much like the Summicron. This lens was $10.

11593706025_37deefe0a5_b.jpg

Rotating ornament, the rings rotate separately.

11593919323_52cabb62d2_b.jpg

Focus was easy with this lens, the AF confirm agreed with me.

A few more High ISO shots. This camera at ISO 5000 with some noise reduction in post (and onboard I'm sure) seems to be pretty close to the M monochrome at ISO 5000 without NR. I love CCD's for their native performance, but CMOS plus Signal Processing is mainstream. I've done a lot of signal processing code, maybe that is why I like to M9 and M Monochrom so much.

This is ISO 20000 with Noise Reduction in LR turned off, NEF exported straight to JPEG. Vivitar 135/2.3, wide-open, 1/100th Sec hand-held. Framed and then focused on the eye. This is a good example of dynamic range at High ISO for any camera. This camera is the perfect SLR complement to my M9 and M Monochrom, just like having the F2AS paired with the SP.

That is AWESOME quality for ISO 20,000. Looks like ISO 800 color print film. That Vivitar is pretty nice too. Reminds me of the rendering from a 135/2.8 K-Mart lens I had as a teenager. Was made by Kiron, I believe, and was so good that even when I could finally afford a genuine Minolta Rokkor, I kept shooting the K-Mart.

You would have to give me such buyer's remorse on my 6D. Love the look of that Df, but then I'd be hanging legacy primes off of it and NOT using it as a travel cam with a standard zoom as the purchase was meant. So I keep telling myself, anyway.

Of course if I found someone unhappy with their Df purchase, I'd be happy to trade a mint 6D and some nice glass for one.

You might try that offer in the Classified ads at some forums!

But no chance I'm giving mine up! Had the 135/3.5 Ais out on mine today, I believe that is the Last Sonnar formula lens made by Nikon.

That's a boatload of excellent work Brian. There's magic in that Df, which BTW has been consistently the no. 1 most followed camera at the largest camera site. Now if I can just find my own jump-in point...

Back