PIMP my raw (a processing challenge) - WINNER ANNOUCED

I looked at it, and tried to quickly pick out what aspects of the picture I liked the most. For me, it was that cool blue background (cool as in temperature, not hipness.) Something about the shade of blue back there tugged at me. So I went after that. Blue slider on the colors raised up to 200%, other two left alone.

15093672958_9f974aafda_c.jpg

Tone mapping was added, highlights are compressed down a little to keep the left rose from blowing out, lightness is up, and of course I cropped it. On that...

15279850112_e9b55e5cba_c.jpg

Here's the exact crop. Notice what I did with thirds. I also left the same amount of space from the left rose to the border as the right one. Or, tried to. I cut it close, maybe too close. Either way, they fit into the space a little better for me this way, and I have the blue really standing out as the silent partner in the shot.

I don't know what to say about that Paul. The file is clearly labeled as a PEF file (if you are using that link in the fourth paragraph). The second link has a TIFF and a JPG for those who can't open a PEF. I can email it as well if that helps.

Nah, I'll take a large format shot of the screen then use that to create a salt print and then scan that and upload it. It'll only take a couple of weeks.

IMGP4756.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Processed in Silver Efex Pro and PS CC. Boosted brigtness and contrast and brought structure way down. Boosted green and yellow and brought down blue to darken background. Used control points to further darken the background in the left part of the picture, and to slightly increase structure in the two main roses. Darkened edges. Very slight copper toning.

After the Silver Efex processing, added a Curves Adjustment Layer with a mask to selectively bring down brightness on the roses and some of the leaves and stems.

Cropped a little bit from the top. Couldn't decide whether to crop some of the dead space from the left side, so left it as is.

Cheers,

Antonio

Sorry the calendar got away from me. After some careful consideration, I select bluzcity (Brent)'s final entry as my fave. Thanks to all who entered. I enjoyed seeing all the different takes on what I think I decided was kind of a dud shot....that's why every time I tried processing it, I didn't like it.

Brent, feel free to start another if you like.

Back