Critique Wanted So how about a "Photo Critique Contest"?

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
Reading this discussion
The Official For God's Sake Stop Talking About Cameras And Post Photographs Instead Thread
got me thinking... indeed the comments here tend to be polite without offering much in the way of suggestions for improvement, and the photo critique forum is used very little (just 5 threads so far this year, and one of them was in the wrong forum!).

So what about a contest for critiquing (sp?) photos?
It could be organized so that one member posts an image or a set of images, and then the rest of the forum have, say, a week or 2 to provide constructive criticism. Whomever is deemed by the OP to have given the most useful criticism is selected to "host" the next contest and post one or more images of his/her own.

Perhaps this could lead to members internalizing an attitude of constructive criticism a bit more, also elsewhere in the forum. So long as we all stay friendly and constructive about our criticism, I think it could help all of us reach a higher level.

Constructive criticism of this plan is more than welcome ;)

bart, I like that idea. One of the aspects I think that is key is the critics are willing to sit on the hot seat should their criticism be deemed the best. Knowing that your fellow forum members will be critiquing your work next should aid in keeping comments helpful instead of disparaging. Fear of retribution can be a good motivator.

Dean, was that meant to be two different posts to two different threads. Or are you having a stroke? Or did you make a funny and it went over my head?

Luke, I'm sure it was a reference to my main critique of the LX100 ;) and I thought it pretty funny :tongue:

Luke, no, I don't think so, and yes.

Bart and I have been co-whining (with others) about the LX100 Sans-A-Flash. I can't keep much of anything compartmentalized any more. If I ever start trying to seriously work again I may be in big trouble...

Back