Samsung The LONG rumoured 300 2.8 just showed up

Indeed, it's massive - I could never, ever see myself lugging something like that for a hobby, only for work.
And white?!? ugh, lamest fad in cameraland by far, IMO.

I believe Canon uses white because of some of the elements in the lens. They are more sensitive to heat so the white helps keep the lens a little cooler than black lenses do.

I shoot Canon and don't like the white lenses aesthetically. Sad Samsung went with white especially since it is such a beastly lens!

I always understood that Canon went with white to stand out at sporting events from "Nikon", Nikon dominated early sports photography until Canons came out with faster AF, at the time so the white let you know how many were being used. AF is about par at this point making both cameras equally popular for sports

It has Super Hypersonic Activated Motor with a Wave Piezo Drive that can cook Pizzas at the press of the shutter release using the timer function plus tell you the time in 27 languages, English and Irish excluded

and I want one

I can paint it camo colours, British Army style

How much?

Canon makes a 300 2.8 IS Canon U.S.A., Inc. | EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
The similarities between the Canon and new Samsung are pretty obvious ;)
Of course the Canon is for FF so the size makes sense....the Samsung size? Well...... The Canon 300 f4 IS is more of a direct FF equivalent for equivalent DOF and aperture performance on a crop so it might be a better indicator of the Samsung size (minus the hood Samsung had on it which made it look it more massive).

Canon 300 2.8IS 5.0 x 9.8 in, 82.9 oz. / 128 x 248mm, 2350g
Canon 300 f4IS 3.5" x 8.7", 2.6 lbs. / 90.0 x 221.0mm, 1190g

If you're adjusting for aperture equivalence then you also need to consider focal length equivalence, in which case the EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM is the closest full frame lens offered by Canon at a trifling ~$6900.

Canon U.S.A., Inc. | EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM

The Samsung has a drop-in rear filter indicating that the front element is enormous. I'd guess that the weight would be up around the same 2kg mark as the Canon 300mm f/2.8 and 400mm f/4.

If you're adjusting for aperture equivalence then you also need to consider focal length equivalence, in which case the EF 400mm f/4 DO IS II USM is the closest full frame lens offered by Canon at a trifling ~$6900.

You don't have to adjust for FL. A 300mm lens is a 300mm lens, the extra apparent length is from the "crop factor". But the opening on a f2.8 lens designed for a crop sensor is closer to the size of an f4 lens designed for FF than a 2.8 for FF. So a 2.8 lens for crops can be smaller, like an f4 lens for FF can be smaller. :)

I meant more in a way of do they even care that Electronics giant Samsung has started making serious cameras or do they not see them as a threat.

Tough to say.
Nikon is currently sitting behind "King Canon" and Sony is rapidly gaining ground.

Time will tell. :smil:

I meant more in a way of do they even care that Electronics giant Samsung has started making serious cameras or do they not see them as a threat.

Nikon went even smaller than 4/3 sooooo.... Guess they wanted to protect their crop line. :/ They missed an opportunity.
Canon didn't really care about the M but did it because they felt they HAD too. Missed opportunity.
Fuji, Sony, and Samsung appreciate the lackadaisical attitude by the big too LOL

Back