Micro 4/3 The official I don't want the LX100 thread

Just something else to consider -- it's only a 12MP sensor, so the lens need only resolve to 12MP, since it will never go on another body. That could mean it's better than kit lenses (matched to sensor and all) but not as good as the m43 "pro" grade lenses, which you would hope are capable of meeting the 16MP sensors.

Not an issue for me, but it may be for some.

Just something else to consider -- it's only a 12MP sensor, so the lens need only resolve to 12MP, since it will never go on another body. That could mean it's better than kit lenses (matched to sensor and all) but not as good as the m43 "pro" grade lenses, which you would hope are capable of meeting the 16MP sensors.

Not an issue for me, but it may be for some.
But it is a 16mp sensor; the pixel density therefore places the same demands on the lens as any regular 16mp m43 sensor.

While I'd like to pay less for these things I can't agree that they are overpriced. We're seeing innovation from these companies. It's not free. They will command a premium until the market catches up.

I don't expect it to be free but look at the pricing of these cameras relative to DSLR's. Yes I know there is a bigger market for DSLR's but they are also more complex cameras to produce with many more mechanical parts. And have a look at Hogan's post. We are paying more for cameras these days.

I don't expect it to be free but look at the pricing of these cameras relative to DSLR's. Yes I know there is a bigger market for DSLR's but they are also more complex cameras to produce with many more mechanical parts. And have a look at Hogan's post. We are paying more for cameras these days.

If you want to sell something, and it costs $100 to set up the production line, and you make 10 of them, you only have to get back $10 each to cover your fixed costs. If you only make 2 of them, then you need $50 each to cover your fixed costs.

I am not at all saying I know the economics of this camera. I don't. Just paraphrasing the concept.

For DSLRs -- well, look at Canon's 7D mark ii. Lots of new stuff there! (not). It's the same, basic body design they'd have since the 10D.

Here's a negative ... no fire engine red or pure white options??

Yeah, and no two-tone customize-it-yourself color schemes. Sounds like a deal breaker to me. And no red dot, either (although you can get a whole sheet of self-adhesive red dots from the stationery store for just pennies.)

Cheers, Jock

Yeah, and no two-tone customize-it-yourself color schemes. Sounds like a deal breaker to me. And no red dot, either (although you can get a whole sheet of self-adhesive red dots from the stationery store for just pennies.)

Cheers, Jock

I'm sure Leica will save you the troubles of going to the stationery store soon and offer a version with pre-glued red dot (for a small surcharge naturally) ;)

For me, the LX100 doesn't offer enough of a difference to the camera I have to justify spending the money.
It's not pocketable, so I need some sort of bag/carry case... might as well carry the OMD in that bag/case...

Maybe in a few years, once my OMD breaks down, I might go for the LX100 MkII (with added articulated LCD and the new 24MP sensor :tongue: )

Hogan's post is lacking, imo. Mirrorless sales are up, well beyond shipments, so yeah, the price/body is up. But what are a lot of those bodies? Sony A7s, Fuji XT1s, Panasonic GH4s, Olympus E-M1s. All of those cameras offer step changes in capabilities. I think we are getting a lot more capability for the $ than ever before. And, if you want to find bargains, mirrorless offers some amazing deals if you buy one generation old.

I started buying "serious" (ILC) cams about 6 or 7 years ago. My take is that the overall value is much increased in favor of the consumer over that time period.

^yup, and not just because of technology moving forward; the share of enthusiast cameras as percentage of total camera sales seems to have gone up, particularly with the demise of the basic compact camera.

Someone needs to pour some water on the flames because when flames and GAS mix, there can be an explosion. So I'll start out with my deal breaker. Feel free to add your own personal gripes (even if you are going to buy it or are considering it). You may just be able to help a fellow forum member with their GAS problem as it relates to this wee wonder.

So my complaint is it's just too small. If they had made it just a little taller, the rear controls wouldn't be so tiny and awkward to use.

Also, I think they got the silver wrong (though the black looks great).

Admittedly that is a small list of gripes.....hopefully someone else has a few.

Too small? Surely you jest. I have two LC1 cameras (the LX100's grandfather) I'll sell you one. Trust me, it's big enough.

Too small? Surely you jest. I have two LC1 cameras (the LX100's grandfather) I'll sell you one. Trust me, it's big enough.

If it were the size of the LC1, I'd love it. Can you put the innards of the LX100 into the LC1 before you sell it to me? I'd actually like more than 5MP and the ability to shoot high ISO or I would have bought the LC1 a couple years back. THAT is what I was hoping for with this camera.

Someone needs to pour some water on the flames because when flames and GAS mix, there can be an explosion. So I'll start out with my deal breaker. Feel free to add your own personal gripes (even if you are going to buy it or are considering it). You may just be able to help a fellow forum member with their GAS problem as it relates to this wee wonder.

So my complaint is it's just too small. If they had made it just a little taller, the rear controls wouldn't be so tiny and awkward to use.

Also, I think they got the silver wrong (though the black looks great).

Admittedly that is a small list of gripes.....hopefully someone else has a few.

LOL. That has to be sarcasm.

Back