Micro 4/3 The official I don't want the LX100 thread

Continues the recent trend for ridiculously overpriced cameras (RX100, X30, G7X, etc.) bearing out Thom Hogan's point: "Put simply: if the camera makers are going to sell fewer things, they want to sell you more expensive things."

Here's one "I want the LX100" feature: aspect ratio bracketing. From one shutter release the LX100 will save a file in each of the four possible aspect ratios with framelines displayed for each.

@ 7min 40sec (approx)

One negative that is very real for me -- fixed lens compact. How long before the sensor gets dusty and what are the options?

I'm genuinely ever so slightly disappointed...
-no built in flash - I rarely use it but it really is very useful for fill flash sometimes, and I simply don't see myself using that add-on thingy
-no tilting screen
-no weather sealing (wasn't in the rumours but I was still dreaming)
-no ND filter

These are the things stopping me from pre-ordering one today - that and the fact that I don't have the money :D
Still, if I were looking for an all-in-one camera for everyday carry, this would probably be it, although the Canon G1X and G7X would get a serious look as well.

1. It's not a Fuji
2. It's not a Fuji
3. It's not a Ricoh either

I know 1 and 2 are the same, but it is pretty fundamental. I have had Panasonic (and "PanaLeica") digitals in the past and won't be going back there. With the exception of the late lamented LC-1/Digilux 2 with it's phenomenal glass I find them all very "clever", but wanting in one way or another. The jpg algorithms are aggressive, necessitating raw processing for all but the least critical work and the handling is - fiddly - to say the least. Plus it's micro four thirds and I do like my bokeh...

1. It's not a Fuji
2. It's not a Fuji
3. It's not a Ricoh either

I know 1 and 2 are the same, but it is pretty fundamental. I have had Panasonic (and "PanaLeica") digitals in the past and won't be going back there. With the exception of the late lamented LC-1/Digilux 2 with it's phenomenal glass I find them all very "clever", but wanting in one way or another. The jpg algorithms are aggressive, necessitating raw processing for all but the least critical work and the handling is - fiddly - to say the least. Plus it's micro four thirds and I do like my bokeh...

Actually, it's kind of more of a Fuji than the X10 / 20 / 30. It has an aperture ring with "A" at the end for auto aperture. It's got a shutter speed dial with an "A" for auto shutter. And it's got a dedicated EC dial on the right shoulder, where god intended them to be located. This is how the X100 worked and the X-Pro, XE 1/2, and XT1 as well. Except for those lenses that Fuji saw fit not to give an aperture ring. And it's raw files will be easier to work with than Fujis. And compared to the X 10/20/30, the sensor dwarfs those little 2/3" sensors, which seemed so big and advanced in 2011. Then came the RX100 and spoiled THAT party and now the G1X mkII and this come along and make the little 1" look undersized. This will be (for my preferences anyway) the much better sensor than the G1X mkII, but if they put a modern high DR sensor and an EVF in the G1X mkiII, I'd buy that one in a New York minute...

-Ray

-no built in flash - I rarely use it but it really is very useful for fill flash sometimes, and I simply don't see myself using that add-on thingy
-no tilting screen
-no ND filter

These are the things stopping me from pre-ordering one today - that and the fact that I don't have the money :D
Still, if I were looking for an all-in-one camera for everyday carry, this would probably be it, although the Canon G1X and G7X would get a serious look as well.

I'm with you on the screen and flash. A top-end camera without a flip screen is a miss for me. And the lack of on board flash is even worse. I'd buy the LX100 for ultimate simplicity. Having a separate flash unit to worry about kind of kills that.

Continues the recent trend for ridiculously overpriced cameras (RX100, X30, G7X, etc.) bearing out Thom Hogan's point: "Put simply: if the camera makers are going to sell fewer things, they want to sell you more expensive things."

While I'd like to pay less for these things I can't agree that they are overpriced. We're seeing innovation from these companies. It's not free. They will command a premium until the market catches up.

Why is it that so many great digital camera are designated x100?
Fuji X100, X100s, X100t
Sony rX100...
Now Pana lx100...

Are there others? Can't be a coincidence!
I will not to buy another x100 no matter what?

And the lack of on board flash is even worse. I'd buy the LX100 for ultimate simplicity. Having a separate flash unit to worry about kind of kills that.

Issue, though, is no place to put the flash, unless you leave out the hotshoe. I would like the included flash to be able to tilt up

Another possible negative -- rocker switch zoom. I prefer manual zoom rings, but no dice here. I hope the focus ring is a multi-function ring, and can be assigned to zoom instead of focus.

-no tilting screen
-no ND filter

Ditto. But no built-in flash is the biggest issue for me. I found the external flash unit on my Olympus E-PM1 and E-PM2 just too fiddly and easily misplaced. It adds to the overall package size, too. It's always something, isn't it?

Another possible negative -- rocker switch zoom. I prefer manual zoom rings, but no dice here. I hope the focus ring is a multi-function ring, and can be assigned to zoom instead of focus.

This is another legitimate gripe. I fully agree. But it's not necessarily a deal killer for me.

Issue, though, is no place to put the flash, unless you leave out the hotshoe. I would like the included flash to be able to tilt up

I'd trade the hotshoe for a flash. RX100m3 gets it right for me. I'd rather see the LX100 be full on size of the G1XmkII and have a flash and flip screen and maybe a longer lens (if physically possible). Maybe I'm just talking myself out of spending $900...

Back