Micro 4/3 Panasonic LX100!!!! Money is flying from my credit card!

^ that is what I'm talkin' about.

include a small, cheapo built-in flash instead of a hotshoe. And make a nice off-camera flash (an add-on purchase accessory) that can be triggered by the small flash )if the camera makers really think there are that many people still interested in flash photography).

Seriously,

Is this not the definition of the former name of this site :)

Look at this little gem. $899 USD (based on specs, I thought for sure it'd be $1299). This puts pressure on everyone.[/QUOTE=wt21;197842]

You can pay $1,200 - but you'll have to get the Leica badged version!
1666339329.jpg

Ray, I had you down for this one a couple weeks ago.

Luke, sorry to disappoint, but I don't see myself doing it. For the reasons I had before the announcement, which I fully admit spun me around a bit. Because it's a VERY impressive camera and probably everything I'd ever want in a camera LIKE this. But I just don't see a place for a camera LIKE this in my shooting. I've got 28 and 35mm compacts that are better than the LX100 in basically every way except zoom. But the zoom range on the LX100 really only gives me a 24mm that I'd actually use. The area between 35 and 85 or 90 is just something I never use. If I had this camera, I'd probably squeeze a few semi-portraits out of the 75mm end, but I'd be frustrated with the lack of length. I just don't see it adding much unless it was REPLACING the Nikon A and/or the RX1 and neither of those are gonna happen. So, to the extent I'd ever add a camera like this, it's gonna have to have something significantly better at the portrait end so that when I decide to leave the DSLR at home, the only thing I give up are the super wide and the super long. The Canon G1X mkII would be a better fit (with it's 24-120 range, but I really don't think I'd be particularly happy with that sensor. Or an RX10 or FZ1000 which would be like a mini-DSLR with a ton of range. But at that point, I'd probably just bring the DSLR, so not much point there.

Bottom line, I'll probably wait a while and see if Nikon or Olympus come to the table with something good with a bit wider zoom range. Based on past cameras, I'd say Nikon would be more likely to come up with something with more range, so if they do so with a 1" or better sensor, I'll check it out. If not, I MAY decide to get a G1X mkII, but I'll more likely just sit tight and stay out of this segment, as I have for quite a while now. I should have some interest in the new Canon G7X, since it at least takes it out to 100mm at f2.8 with the 1" sensor. But that's back into RX100 territory - I don't think I'd enjoy using the camera. But that has a range I'd find somewhat useful and a really good little sensor, so maybe I'll have a closer look at that one.

I really don't have much desire for a camera like this unless I liked it enough to leave everything else at home from time to time. I'm thinking of a weekend away with my wife where I don't want to haul much gear. A better version of the GX1 mkII would do that really well, including enough portrait and macro capability to handle a bit of everything. So if someone does something with that range REALLY well, I may go for it. If not, I'm good where I am.

But I am REALLY impressed with the LX100 and I WISH it met more of my needs because I'd love to have a good reason to buy one. But I just can't come up with it at 24-75....

-Ray

Seriously,

Is this not the definition of the former name of this site :)

Look at this little gem. $899 USD (based on specs, I thought for sure it'd be $1299). This puts pressure on everyone.[/QUOTE=wt21;197842]

You can pay $1,200 - but you'll have to get the Leica badged version!
1666339329.jpg

In the UK the LX100 is £799 but the Leica version is £825.

The LX100 and the GM5 each got my pre-order. I am really excited by these offerings for casual everyday use.

For quite some time, I've been carrying my GX7 and 12-35 in my everyday bag, that goes with me whenever I leave the house. The intent is to have a good quality camera at hand, just-in-case a situation presents itself and I want to make some images. An LX100 or GM5/12-32 would fulfill that role magnificently and help me transition to a smaller and lighter weight everyday bag. I'm really eager to use one of these as my go-everywhere all-the-time camera.

The lack of flash is of no consequence to me whatsoever. I've never once used a flash on any of my m4/3 gear since I jumped into the system in mid-2009. So I wouldn't miss a built-in flash for a second. My only wish for both the LX100 and the GM5 is for a tilting LCD screen, so that's a bit of a disappointment to me. Otherwise, I think these two new cameras are simply awesome and will serve me well in my everyday bag.

When I purposely set out to make images, of course, I will rely on the GX7, EP-5 w/VF4, and a variety of more specialized m4/3 lenses. I also have the Sigma DP1M and DP3M inbound... cameras I would reserve for using in situations where their peculiarities are not a problem. And frankly, there are so few situations where fast AF, high ISO, and moving subjects are part of the equation, that the sluggish, low-ISO Sigma Merrills may work out well for much of what I shoot. Landscape and architecture are biggies for me these days and I think the DP1M and DP3M may replace my 5DMkII and 17-40 lens for these subjects. These are exciting times for us!

The LX100 is looking better to me as time goes by, even though I'm still annoyed by the non-integrated EVF. But I'm going to wait for more full reviews on this camera, the Fuji X100T and the Canon G7X before I pull the trigger.

In my head I'm classifying it as "an X100 with a great zoom lens but a smaller sensor." And I just find myself thinking that if I were going any smaller than APSC, I'd just stick with the incredibly tiny Canon Powershot 1400 thingamajigger I already own in a drawer, because it maximizes the "small" factor off the scale (it's smaller than my iphone, if a little thicker) and... isn't an APSC sensor.

Great vid from TCS, as usual. I so wish this camera was weathersealed! Also good to see them pulling no punches wrt the camcorder.

Kyle, I personally don't think you should worry too much about the smaller than APSC sensor thing. Considering how quickly these things improve, the sensor performance of this cropped-down m43 might just be better than the original X100. And the fast lens definitely helps in keeping the ISO's low and the DOF shallow. The difference between APSC and regular m43 is only about 0.7 stops; with this cropped m43 sensor, it's just a bit over 1 stop difference.

LX100 reviewed by TheCameraStoreTV

Good review. Like Biro I've been more forgiving about the shortcomings I see with the LX100 (flash; touch; tilt) lately. It would be great if Panny allows customization of the iA and Filter buttons via firmware, but I don't think their history indicates they will.

I was checking dpreview LX100 initial review and noticed that they posted the samples gallery:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Review

After reviewing these. a few looks very good, but generally it doesn't have the bite, sharpness esp the grass at ISO 200 looks like a painting... I use gm1 mostly with Oly 25mm and the jpgs can be used directly and I didn't adjust any settings... I am guessing these are std jpgs, but I was expecting a little better esp after seeing the camera store video and a few online samples...

Back