News Canon G7 X

serhan

Hall of Famer
Another 1" sensor camera, no evf, but longer zoom/touch screen compared to rx100 iii:
Canon Powershot G7 X Specs and Image Leaked

canon_g7x_f001-2.jpg

Image and specifications of Canon’s upcoming Powershot G7 X have leaked,. The G7 X will feature an 1 inch sensor.

- 1 inch 20MP CMOS sensor
- Zoom equivalent to 24-100mm f/1.8-2.8
- Intelligent optical Image Stabilizer
- 5 stop video image stabilization
- DIGIC6 processor
- 31 points AF. touch AF
- LCD monitor tilting. 1.04 million dots.
- Touch panel
- Built-in flash
- Exposure compensation dial
- Control ring
- ND filter built-in
- Video Full HD 60p, stereo
- Manual video control
- Wi-Fi
- NFC
- remote control function with smartphone

Also Canon PowerShot SX60 HS w/ 65x zoom, a 21-1365mm f/3.4-6.5:
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Specs and Image Leaked

Now we're starting to see some real competition for the RX100. While the G1X mkII and likely LX100 don't compete on pocket-ability, they do on IQ and usability and (in the case of the G1X mkII, zoom reach). Now this little Canon will likely compete on pocket-ability and reach and I'd bet on price also. And evidently using Sony's 1" sensor. I guess Sony probably figured they'd milked the "unique camera" thing as long as they could with the RX100 and RX10 and decided there was more to be made selling that sensor to all comers and deal with the competition on the full camera front. I have no idea how the economics of that work from a corporate standpoint, but as consumers I know we're all better off when they're selling their sensors than when they're just using them in their own cameras. I'm not at all in the market for this camera (or likely any zoom compact), but it's a pretty interesting segment of the market to keep an eye on. And if someone can do what Canon did with the G1X mkII in a camera that uses a modern Sony version of that sensor, I might get back into this type of camera again after all...

-Ray

There is one stop btw m43 and 1" sensor, so at 100mm g7x will have most probably a similar dof w/ 2.2x 75mm LX100... It's good to have options and usu Canikon are very good at getting the best from the Sony sensors. Hopefully the price will be close to RX100 m1 levels...

Another interesting camera coming to the arena, to give the RX100 a run for its money. It seems to me that a 1" sensor is fast becoming entry level in the serious compact market now, which is why the Fuji X30 is going to struggle I think.

-R.

Yes, it is true that the one-inch sensor is now taking over as the entry-level chip for enthusiast compacts. Most of us thought this would have happned at least a year ago but better late than never. I understand why Bill isn't interested in this new Canon, but I'd love to know how easily it slips into a pants or shirt pocket. And how firm are those specs for the G7X? A 24-100mm lens at f/1.8-2.8? Is it going to be as small as a Sony RX100 III? I'm not so sure. Is it going to be as large as an LX100? Maybe.

Another interesting camera coming to the arena, to give the RX100 a run for its money. It seems to me that a 1" sensor is fast becoming entry level in the serious compact market now, which is why the Fuji X30 is going to struggle I think.

-R.

Yup, the 1" sensor will ultimately kill the DSLR and maybe even M43. I saw the potential with the maligned Nikon V1. The size advantage over APS-C and M43 is significant, particularly with zooms and the IQ is already good enough for what most people need photography for these days-Facebook, Instagram, etc...

Incorporate the best CDAF autofocus in a camera this size and in due time the sidelines of every youth sports field will be filled with them.

+1. If Nikon has the Sony sensor w pdf sensors, it will be enough for the consumer... GX7 is looking good for pocketability reasons... LX100 will not be one with similar size to RX1 or EPL5/nex with pancake zooms...

Yup, the 1" sensor will ultimately kill the DSLR and maybe even M43. I saw the potential with the maligned Nikon V1. The size advantage over APS-C and M43 is significant, particularly with zooms and the IQ is already good enough for what most people need photography for these days-Facebook, Instagram, etc...

Incorporate the best CDAF autofocus in a camera this size and in due time the sidelines of every youth sports field will be filled with them.

I guess the main questions for me comes down to:

Price, compared to the RX100s.
Control wheel, does it click? I hate the non-click wheel of the RX100, I never use it. I liked the one on the S95 quite a lot.
Lens quality, is it any good?
Sensor, could very well be the Sony sensor from RX100, that'd be fine.
AF speed. Any improvement over RX100?

There is one stop btw m43 and 1" sensor

Is that all? My wishful thinking was hoping for more.

I was also hoping for Ricoh to do an update on the GR but that probably won't come until next summer. I did see their patent for a 24mm f2 lens. If they put phase AF on the crop sensor thereby remaking the IV in crop format then I'll be sold.

Until then I'll be looking for the real world tests coming out of this fall's lineup.

I was also hoping for Ricoh to do an update on the GR but that probably won't come until next summer. I did see their patent for a 24mm f2 lens. If they put phase AF on the crop sensor thereby remaking the IV in crop format then I'll be sold.

Until then I'll be looking for the real world tests coming out of this fall's lineup.

I think about a stop is right, maybe a bit less, because I'd say the 1" is a bit better at 3200 than the current 4/3 sensors are at 6400. But that's testament to just how good that little Sony sensor is with that kind of low light performance and 20mp of resolution as well. The 4/3 sensors in the GH4 and EM1 are really really good, only incrementally less good than today's APS sensors. But, you know, a stop ain't nothing! It can be the difference between 1/30 and 1/60 in low light and the difference between getting a shot and not getting the shot. If you really want to get significantly better than 4/3, you're looking at full frame. So I think it speaks very well of the 1" sensor...

-Ray

I didn't calculate it, but dpreview puts RX100 iii sensor at 2.8 as equiv 7.6 full frame dof, so it is a little less then 1 stop as Ray said. Here is a chart for comparing the sensor sizes:

sensor-sizes-2013-795x651.jpg

I don't know why it took so long to cover the range btw 2/3" size sensors and 43... 43 to apsc is also less then a stop, close to 2/3 maybe. FF is bigger jump, more then a stop...

I didn't calculate it, but dpreview puts RX100 iii sensor at 2.8 as equiv 7.6 full frame dof, so it is a little less then 1 stop as Ray said. Here is a chart for comparing the sensor sizes:

sensor-sizes-2013-795x651.jpg

I don't know why it took so long to cover the range btw 2/3" size sensors and 43... 43 to apsc is also less then a stop, close to 2/3 maybe. FF is bigger jump, more then a stop...

I was actually talking about low light / high ISO capability, not DOF. But it looks like similar relationships mostly hold here as well. Except that I don't think the low light difference between m43 and APS is much at all, but from 1" to 4/3 is and from APS to full frame is at least a stop, more with a couple of full frame sensors...

-Ray

A rough guideline is that sensor area transforms rather well into both light gathering (high ISO/noise) and DoF. Of course the sensors vary between manufacturers but in broad terms full frame is one stop better than APS-C, which is one stop better than m43, which again is one stop better than 1" sensors.

Putting 4 Sony sensors into the DxOMark comparison tool we see 483 ISO for 1" (RX100m2), 757 ISO for m43 (E-M1), 1347 ISO for APS-C (A6000) and 2248 ISO for fullframe (A7). So pretty much a stop between each.

The Fuji XF1 is currently my daily, totally pocketable camera. And it still does solid work for me. But, just lately, I've been thinking about replacing the tiny Fuji with the original RX100 now that the official price is $499 and is likely to be found for even less money before long. But I don't think I'll pull the trigger before finding out more about the G7X.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Back