Three Castles

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Name
Martin Connolly
Took a small road trip yesterday while the sun was shining. The "three castles" were all built around 1200 by the Norman lord Hubert de Burgh. He certainly knew where to build a castle - the scenery in that part of north Monmouthshire is stunning.

Grosmont:
14916985658_a7ce7fc69b_b.jpg

Grosmont Castle mono by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

15080496216_16f6b50ee8_b.jpg

Grosmont Castle interior by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

Skenfrith:
14916994228_dfd30093db_b.jpg

Skenfrith Castle by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

and the daddy of the three, White Castle:

View attachment 98011
White Castle #1 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

15103153832_f4413dea83_b.jpg

White Castle #2 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

View attachment 98013
White Castle #3 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

You really have some nice collection, these castle are outrageous, it's really hard to make these kind of building in that time. I think the authorities should take some serious care of them.
All those 3 castles are under the care of Cadw, the Welsh heritage organisation. They are quite well looked after which is amazing considering that only White Castle has an entrance fee (£3).

Visualizing now - the plucky young warriors scaling those walls while valiant defenders employ cudgel and mace to fend them off. I would love to photograph the reenactments, if there are such things.

That first image is an absolute classic. At first I was thinking I was just a sucker for B&W, but it's really more about the bridge leading the eye into the heart of the image, and the clouds accentuating the whole thing. Brilliant stuff...

-Ray

That first image is an absolute classic. At first I was thinking I was just a sucker for B&W, but it's really more about the bridge leading the eye into the heart of the image, and the clouds accentuating the whole thing. Brilliant stuff...

-Ray
Thanks Ray! I chose that particular angle partly for the geometry, and partly to avoid the large group of picnicking ramblers who were arrayed within the castle walls :)
The B&W was done in Silver Efex Pro - IIRC it was the "wet rocks" preset plus a green filter.

Back