Black and white, or monochrome photos of people

5108545962_453ed8c09f_b.jpg

Leica X1 f/9 @ 1/30th ISO 640

Fernando

Early this afternoon, I sat down and had a fairly lengthy conversation with Mr. Fernando Rivera, a homeless person who spends his days around the town square in my hometown of Caguas, Puerto Rico. I approached him and asked if I could take his picture, to which he answered that I could.

We spoke for about half an hour, during which time I took several shots. Although he is clearly mentally ill (he would make up these amazing stories about people he had worked with as an artist, musician, scientist, politician, etc.) he must have been a very educated person because of the people he referenced. For example, at one point he said that Gabriel García Márquez had published under his name an essay he had actually written. The conversation was very lively and he seemed very pleased that I was photographing him.

In any event, this was a completely new experience for me, as I believe this is the first time I have approached a stranger and asked if I could photograph him.

I hope you find the pictures respectful of the man.

Regards,

Antonio

10001761.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1000185.jpg

1000194.jpg

1000202.jpg

1000210.jpg

Antonio, I am both touched by both your story, as well as by these portraits of Mr. Fernando Rivera. I admire you for connecting with Mr. Rivera on a one to one level, for listening to him, and for clear respect you showed him. I wonder if the next time you see him, you'll be able to feel more comfortable and able to take more photographs of Mr. Rivera as he interacts with other people, too. My guess is that you will.

Beautiful black and whites - so many different flickering thoughts appear to be passing across this man's face. I like your last image the best because he's looking right at you, and to me the angle you chose worked out perfectly.

Thanks for these photos and for telling us the story surrounding them.

my original

L1000778-Edit.jpg

Leica X1

I posted a cropped version earlier see here, if you're interested. After some consideration, I realized that I'd made a mistake cropping this image. I had "worried" about some things that actually are pluses with regard to the photograph - thus, at the urging of another member, I'm reposting this as shot.

It often pays to go with one's gut. Let's face it, we raise the camera, see the image and push the button.

You've really zeroed in on how insular travel by airplane has become, probably more so due to most having their "personal entertainment" devices. Though your first two illustrate this feeling the most, I think the third is a really nice counterpoint - she's reading a print magazine! I also find the lighting, black and white tones and the repetition of the rectangles both horizontal and perpendicular to add into making this a good portrait, Javier.

Many thanks!

Antonio, this girl in the mask is very other worldly, ghostly... I like the way you've used the lighting and the blur.

Ray, I appreciate your three, too, but the baby and her mother is my favorite.

One of the best things about this thread - is the different points of view.

Ray, also liked number one (though a little less sharpness might have been kinder!)

Number two is also great though I think I might have experimented with cropping out more of the two heads in the lower right.

Back