Sony RX100 focus point change with one button

znerken

Hello

I received my RX100 yesterday and have a question. If I want to assign a button to be changing focus point, how can I? I assigned the center button to a focus option in the custom menu, but I first have to press center, then center again(enter) and then I am able to change focus points... is there no way to just click one(like on a DSLR) and get the "crosshair" menu with the square for focus point change?

I have to hit Fn, which is set to Flexible Spot, then hit center button to actually activate the focus point. Not sure how to do it with single button push.

I almost always want to decide myself where I want the camera to focus, and so I have my standard AF mode set to Flexible Spot. That way I don't need to press Fn first. Pressing enter once lets me move around the AF spot, exactly like Chris said.

I almost always want to decide myself where I want the camera to focus, and so I have my standard AF mode set to Flexible Spot. That way I don't need to press Fn first. Pressing enter once lets me move around the AF spot, exactly like Chris said.

Brilliant thanks! It only works if you set the middle button to "Standard" though, so I'm going to have to change my default setup.
I used to have the middle button for AF/MF toggle and the right for Autofocus Area, but I'll swap them now and leave the camera in Flex mode.
I still want to have AF/MF toggle bound to a key as I use it for locking focus.

Why not use the center focus square, lock on the subject you want by pressing the shutter button halfway down, then recompose?

I do it all the time with my FZ200. It's fast, easy, and requires no extra button pushing.

Cheers, Jock

In some situations it works fine. But when you lock focus that way you also lock metering, and you don't always want that.
Also when you move the camera you might end up moving it close to or further away from your subject, so there's a risk of moving it out of focus.

Back