Canon EOS-M a mistake?

dmc

Rookie
So, we all know that canon USA has dropped the little M. Luckily, I live in Canada, so I still have access to the M, including the excellent 11-22 lens. It seems such a shame, as the M is a great camera, with a great sensor and, with firmware update, a great auto-focus system. Shortcoming from my point of view is a 55 - 200 lens. Canon is working on the EOS-M2. Would you like to see it in North America, or is it a model too far?

Not so much a mistake as a spoiler. They haven't put much effort into it as a system so it seems more likely that the idea was to put something out there for Canon DSLR users or potential users to keep them from straying to other brands while Canon sizes up the market and decided what to do. The system doesn't appeal to me personally precisely because I don't think Canon are strongly committed to it. It will be more interesting to see what they come up with when the do eventually decide to commit fully to this market sector.

I had the use of one for a day, and I think it's a nice little camera.Build quality is excellent, the UI is good, and the image quality is also good. I decided not to buy one because I just didn't need another camera - lol.

Autofocus after the update was good enough by my standards.

I like the EOS-M, alot. The only thing I find lacking in the EOS-M was its AF system... other than that, it is an excellent little camera. Now... if it had tilty flipy screen... I am sold.

It seems that Canon created the basic framework for what could be a very good mirrorless but have left it to simmer while they are busy doing...something else, I guess. I'd love to be able to shoot a Canon sensor again in an interchangable lens camera, but they've given everyone else such a big headstart that it will be hard to lure back those who have already left the brand. That 22mm pancake does look like a gorgeous little lens, however.

If it only came with an EVF or the possibilty to put one on it . . . In the sun it' s necessary for me and my eyes are not getting better . . . Otherwise it would be a nice choice for me, but for now I stay with my Olympus. . .

Not so much a mistake as a spoiler. They haven't put much effort into it as a system so it seems more likely that the idea was to put something out there for Canon DSLR users or potential users to keep them from straying to other brands while Canon sizes up the market and decided what to do. The system doesn't appeal to me personally precisely because I don't think Canon are strongly committed to it. It will be more interesting to see what they come up with when the do eventually decide to commit fully to this market sector.

I agree that it was a nice attempt.

Issues for me.

1- Too small for my taste. I had a hard time keeping a hold of it, (only played with at the store).

2- As stated, Canon seems to have no idea where it is going with this system. If you were to buy it as a fun, extra camera, and only have one or two lenses, I guess it could work. BUT, if this was going to be a primary system, no thanks.

Back