Fuji Unexpected: Fuji will launch a Medium Format camera with the Sony 50MP sensor this summer

What I find fascinating is that it'll be the same sensor in the Phase One, Hasselblad, Fuji and of course Pentax, all at various price points ranging from $8,000 to $25,000. If Fuji manages a fixed lens walkaround version (35mm) at a more reasonable price point, things might get very interesting. Though Fuji has been making MF lenses for decades (they made lenses for Hassie as well), so I'm not sure whether they would launch a fixed lens camera. But if not them, I can't see anyone else making a fixed lens walkaround MF camera. Fun times! I hope it's an exciting camera.

I do not know why people are questioning this, it makes a lot more sense to me than a full frame camera from them when they already have a great APS-C format camera, this would be and absolutely brilliant landscape camera. The only issues I see our focal length, aperture and most importantly price.

Agreed. I am reluctant to buy any camera with more than 16mp. Opening, working with and storing 24-36mp raw files is enough of an issue to cause me to pause. Of course, before long we'll have no choice as the megapixel march continues unabated. But 16 mp - at least for me - is the sweet spot on APS-C and micro four thirds. Full frame? Despite the nice size of the Sony A7 series bodies, you still have to deal with all that big glass. I'm not making money from my photography so I'll pass.

95% of the time I'd agree, but I just shot an event where my zoom wasn't quite as zoomy as I wanted it to be. I was very glad that I had 24 megapickles to crop with.

I do not know why people are questioning this,.

Bob, you are reliant on your cameras to deliver the goods not only to your expectations, but to those of the clients that pay you. Very very few folk on this site are in a similar position, and the fact is that "IQ" is really only of significance to the larger market for it's own sake.

My post about facebook and flickr was somewhat facetious, but the fact remains that remarkably few people print their photographs, and even fewer at a size where the pixel count will ever be noticeable. Accordingly, the marginal gain of such a beast as this camera (or any of the MF digital backs) is vanishingly small over that of a "full frame" or APS-C or, frankly, a 1" sensor, when the resultant images will only ever be viewed on screens, and at very low resolutions.

However, owning a camera isn't always just about the chimera of "IQ", but maybe also about having something you want and perhaps feeling good that you have the "best". (That's fine, of course)

One question is whether the average "mirrorless" camera user (if there is such a thing) sees this as a particularly desirable thing to own, and although the sample in this thread is rather tiny, I would not be surprised to learn it's quite representative of a general feeling of "meh".

For a professional landscape and/or travel photographer, however, I could also see it begging to be bought ...

yeah doug, i fully understand that. i guess my own feeling is that at some point on that 'continuum' the extra mps just really dont make any practical difference for 90% of us. and imo we're just about at that point. of course, others views may rightfully vary, thats what makes a horse race.

It might even be 99% of us. But if the camera costs more than $10K - and this will probably be more like $25K, it doesn't need A LOT of customers, just a few hundred pros, to buy it.

I can imagine a world where I have one of these beasts (bought used of course) and I have it in my bag alongside some awesomely capable APS-C cam (like the X-T1), and when I galavant about on vacations I would pull it out 5 or 10 times per trip to capture some grand vista in epic badass fashion. Then I can see coming home and printing said badassery in a large-ish format and hanging it upon the wall. But as anything approaching a "daily user," I cannot see dealing with the cost, the massive file size, and the overall size of it.

the fact remains that remarkably few people print their photographs, and even fewer at a size where the pixel count will ever be noticeable. Accordingly, the marginal gain of such a beast as this camera (or any of the MF digital backs) is vanishingly small over that of a "full frame" or APS-C or, frankly, a 1" sensor, when the resultant images will only ever be viewed on screens, and at very low resolutions.

My point is there is so much traffic about why Fuji or others should bring out a full frame camera, implying the the APS-C format is not enough for those 90%, but stepping up to MF is a waste of time. Even though I have access to state of the art medium format cameras, you are right I only use them for work because APS-C is more than enough for the vast majority of what I shoot for fun. My guess is this camera will be very expensive, at least $15,000 or more

Back