Panasonic So I took the FZ100 today

Like many of you, I'm slowly getting to a point where I really cannot be bothered with lens changing. Yes, even with the Nikon 1 stuff.

So today, I went out, looking for a pirate ship (yes, there was one, a couple of days ago, at the Maritime Museum) but.. it was gone, dammit. So, down to the beach instead. As I was driving down the harbourside I saw a very large laden bulk carrier heading off, being guided by 3 or 4 tugs... Sun had not yet risen so I decided to see about getting a shot with the sun coming up over the ship... it seemed to work OK

Sun/Boat par Sue Wotton, on ipernity

So, a few more shots of the boat and the ocean, with gulls, without gulls, distant and close, I used the zoom freely... I really liked the one I got of the helicopter lifting off, taking the pilot back to base. Could not see that when I took the shot, but there it was when I processed it. Anyway... here we go...

Pilot Leaving par Sue Wotton, on ipernity

Distant Boat 1 par Sue Wotton, on ipernity

Distant Boat 2 par Sue Wotton, on ipernity

After this last and a couple of others which were dodgy, I decided that the howling wind and cold temps were too much for me and jumped back in the car... and right back out again because I noticed the sun glinting off the surfboards of four boys way up the beach,...

Surfers par Sue Wotton, on ipernity

Conclusion... small sensor, old tech (this FZ is now 3 or 4 generations old, with a paltry 24x) but adequate to the task. Not *any* task, but it worked out fine for this morning's effort, I think.

wow....those are great, Sue. If I was getting shots like that, I wouldn't be looking to "upgrade".

Thanks, Luke!

I'm seriously considering the Canon SX50HS. I've been mizzling about the Fuji superzooms for ages but they are all 16MP and I just don't want that many pixels. The Panny I have is 14Mp, but I shoot at 12.5, and considering dropping it back to 8. The Canon is 12Mp, and after seeing Chris's (yeats) shots from last year of those frogs, turtles and white swans, I can't help thinking that I might just have to make do with a crappy EVF in order to get a good lens and sensor. Just looking for a bit more stretch. I don't care if I havent got f/2.8 throughout...

The one thing I do like about the Panasonic though, is that I can use the same filters I bought for my Pentax. 52mm UV and CPL.

And now, I remind myself that first, its a new iPhone 6 when they come out.

Nice series Sue, makes me want to grab one of those superzooms and give it a try. We recently had some oil platforms in for repair and I had nothing beyond 112mm FL equiv. to shoot with.

Nice series Sue, makes me want to grab one of those superzooms and give it a try. We recently had some oil platforms in for repair and I had nothing beyond 112mm FL equiv. to shoot with.
Thanks, Ken!
I think there's a place for them as long as you don't expect them to be something else. I suspect that people get disappointed because the long zoom which promises so much, often delivers so little. Well it does deliver, but the light has to be right and your hands have to be really steady. And still, there's noise, which is why on mine I try not to shoot over 100ISO (unless its on iA which makes it own decisions)

I'm seriously considering the Canon SX50HS. I've been mizzling about the Fuji superzooms for ages but they are all 16MP and I just don't want that many pixels. The Panny I have is 14Mp, but I shoot at 12.5, and considering dropping it back to 8.

You can use the Fuji in EXR mode and select either "high sensitivity/low noise" or Dynamic Range Mode and it will give you an 8 MP image. Here is a description if you are unfamiliar with what EXR mode does ....

"HR: High Resolution mode is perfect for well lit conditions and uses all 16 megapixels.
SN: High Sensitivity and Low Noise mode is designed for use at night or in dark conditions and it halves the number of pixels to create 8 mega super pixels which are extra sensitive to light.
DR: Dynamic Range mode is suited to high-contrast conditions where you have both bright sunlight and dark shadows present. It works by combining one high-exposure and one low-exposure shot to create an 8 megapixel image with detail in both the highlights and in the shadows."

Also, it seems Chris (Yeats) has been busy shooting with more long glass lately. Check his stream here Yeats | Flickr for some great recent shots. Looks like he re-got a HS50EXR as well as an X-S1 and a tele-mirror lens for his Pentax.

You can use the Fuji in EXR mode and select either "high sensitivity/low noise" or Dynamic Range Mode and it will give you an 8 MP image. Here is a description if you are unfamiliar with what EXR mode does ....

"HR: High Resolution mode is perfect for well lit conditions and uses all 16 megapixels.
SN: High Sensitivity and Low Noise mode is designed for use at night or in dark conditions and it halves the number of pixels to create 8 mega super pixels which are extra sensitive to light.
DR: Dynamic Range mode is suited to high-contrast conditions where you have both bright sunlight and dark shadows present. It works by combining one high-exposure and one low-exposure shot to create an 8 megapixel image with detail in both the highlights and in the shadows."

Also, it seems Chris (Yeats) has been busy shooting with more long glass lately. Check his stream here Yeats | Flickr for some great recent shots. Looks like he re-got a HS50EXR as well as an X-S1 and a tele-mirror lens for his Pentax.

Yah, I've had EXR in the past (an F550EXR) and yeah also in touch with Chris a lot. Thanks, Luke :)

Thanks, Ken!
I think there's a place for them as long as you don't expect them to be something else. I suspect that people get disappointed because the long zoom which promises so much, often delivers so little. Well it does deliver, but the light has to be right and your hands have to be really steady. And still, there's noise, which is why on mine I try not to shoot over 100ISO (unless its on iA which makes it own decisions)
Maybe I get one of those Tammie or Sigma xyz-300mm'ish zooms and an adapter to slap it on my NEX-7, that'd give me 450mm at the long end and the 24MP take care of the rest. Time for some shopping ... thx for the reminder!

Maybe I get one of those Tammie or Sigma xyz-300mm'ish zooms and an adapter to slap it on my NEX-7, that'd give me 450mm at the long end and the 24MP take care of the rest. Time for some shopping ... thx for the reminder!
I can recommend the latest Tamron 70-300. I was highly sceptical that it would produce decent results for under £100 but it is really pretty good. I've used it on my Pentax K-r (=450mm eq) and via a cheapie adapter on my V1 (=840mm eq).

I can recommend the latest Tamron 70-300. I was highly sceptical that it would produce decent results for under £100 but it is really pretty good. I've used it on my Pentax K-r (=450mm eq) and via a cheapie adapter on my V1 (=840mm eq).

Thanks Martin. That's the lens I put into the shopping basket last night (Nikon mount since I already have some F&G adapters for the NEX). It's got some good reviews plus it's cheap, relatively compact and light. I'll report back with some results.

Really lovely shots Sue, particularly the first and the last two. I think if I was going to go for some sort of all-in-one camera and was OK with a DSLR form, it would probably be the Sony RX10 with it's 1" sensor, but these look really great at the size you've posted them on ipernity and if you like that amount of reach, a super-zoom is clearly the way to go.

-Ray

Really lovely shots Sue, particularly the first and the last two. I think if I was going to go for some sort of all-in-one camera and was OK with a DSLR form, it would probably be the Sony RX10 with it's 1" sensor, but these look really great at the size you've posted them on ipernity and if you like that amount of reach, a super-zoom is clearly the way to go.

-Ray

I'd probably like the RX10 too, I was certainly interested until the pricing came out. Still interested in the Stylus 1 as well. Thanks for your kind remarks :)

OMG! That first shot is GORGEOUS!
Now I have to yell at myself for never being up for a sunrise, d'oh!

LOL! Eliot, you just have to do it. Clearly, you need a cat like Tom, who on some night fidgets and fidgets and wont let you sleep. I had been awake since 1.30am so getting out before sunrise was no big deal. Went back to bed for 4 hours, after I posted :)

Back