Sony Rx100m3

I'm surprised no one has started a thread about this yet. Supposedly it will be announced this Thursday, May 1st. It will have a new 28-100mm F1.8-F2.8 lens and an EVF. Those are significant upgrades. Some people have even speculated that it would have the new curved sensor. But Sony has said that the curved sensor is a lens/sensor pair. So it's a prime lens only configuration right now. That's due on the RX2 this summer. Which is ambitious since it's easier to start small and work up. BSI hasn't made it to APS-C yet. Starting at FF is quite a big leap.

If the rumors are true, the RX100M3 sounds like a serious upgrade. I hope the price doesn't get seriously upgraded as well.

Agreed, though my mk1 is still kicking along nicely. But 2.8 at the long end would be great. Add to that the (likely) continuance of a flippy LCD and wifi. It would be tempting.

In just hoping the price of the mk I drops a bit more so I can pick up a spare for the scuba housing. Somehow doubt they won't change the buttons and size enough to fit it in, but it sounds like a very interesting option.

Agreed, though my mk1 is still kicking along nicely. But 2.8 at the long end would be great. Add to that the (likely) continuance of a flippy LCD and wifi. It would be tempting.

I agree - the Mk2 didn't offer enough of a difference to make me consider upgrading, as I'm quite happy with the Mk1.

However, although the flip-up screen and the Wi-fi aren't really of much interest to me, if the Mk3 has f/2.8 at the long end, that would definitely get my attention:eek:... so long as other 'solid' aspects of the Mk1 are not lost.

If the Mark III really has all that, it'll certainly get everyone's attention. The question is, how much larger will the camera be than the current RX100's with a lens like that? And how much will it cost? I'm expecting $899 or $999 if all of the rumored features turn out to be correct.

I'm with you Nic.

Sounds like a hard camera not to buy. I thought the G1Xmk2 might be that camera, but so far my credit card has not been all that tempted.

If the Mark III really has all that, it'll certainly get everyone's attention. The question is, how much larger will the camera be than the current RX100's with a lens like that? And how much will it cost? I'm expecting $899 or $999 if all of the rumored features turn out to be correct.

It appears not much bigger at all. Basically the same size. Some of the Sony manuals already have diagrams of it. The telling one is for the new handgrip sticker. The current sticker is not supposed to fit anymore, but the new sticker is supposed to fit the M3 and the older models. From the diagrams it looks like the M3 lens has 3 telescoping elements instead of the 2 on the current RX100 models. The lens is also slightly thicker. So it seems they did the same as they did with the M2, added new features with only a negligible increase in size.

This sounds like what I had assumed the RX10 would have been; about halfway between what the RX10 ended up being and the existing RX100, putting it square in Canon G1X territory.

From what we know from the manual diagrams right now, it's basically a halfway zoom RX10 shoved into a RX100 sized body. No word on how good the EVF is yet. We'll know for sure on Thursday.

Sony has gotten really good about keeping a lid on these things. It's like Apple levels of secrecy. No word of this even leaked out until a couple of days ago. All the rumors were about a RX200 later this year.

Rumors say it will have a pop up VF. This would be huge. About 4 years ago I suggested that Leica should replace the pop up flash with a pop up VF in the X1. A pop up VF and reasonably fast zoom whilst keeping the RX100II`s size sounds very exciting.

If this is at all affordable I can see me selling the Mk1 and my V1 kit to fund it. The faster lens and EVF will really make this hard for me to ignore. A closer minimum focus distance, especially at longer focal lengths would be good too.

Rumors say it will have a pop up VF. This would be huge. About 4 years ago I suggest that Leica should replace the pop up flash with a pop up VF in the X1. A pop up VF and reasonably fast zoom whilst keeping the RX100II`s size sounds very exciting.

:eek::eek: If the Mk3 has a pop-up VF as well, then I'd have to surrender. An RX100 with both a fast lens and a VF would be too much to resist...

I'm really looking forward to this camera! I've used the RX100 I and II (the latter is my 'daily driver', as has been for almost a year). I had a brief flirtation with the G1Xii recently, but the size and weight compared to the RX100M2 killed it for me (nice camera otherwise). IMO, the long end of the RX100 (I and II) has always been its weakness, so going to f2.8 at the long end is FANTASTIC :). Should be able to get some nicer portrait shots at 50mm and beyond.
My other wish list includes:
- More responsive front wheel. (I feel that both current models have a slight lag or delay that makes them feel disconnected)
- Sturdier rear dial (my rear dial is feels a bit tired at times - I hope they change it to aluminium rather than plastic)
- I hope they keep the same battery (I have 3 genuine Sony batteries at the moment, and would like to not have to spend this money again)
- I'm not concerned about the EVF (it is a nice bonus, but not essential for me), I just hope they keep the articulating flash in a decent location.
- It would be *AWESOME* if they added a MIC input.
- I would love a 1080p60 MP4 format (not AVCHD).
And that's it! I love the RX100M2 (for better or worse), and was stoked the other day when I read about this surprise RX100M3 announcement on sonyalpharumors - and supposedly this week too - no waiting for months hanging on rumours!. (I remember the M2 was leaked pretty badly months/weeks before it was announced)
I wonder how long after the announcement before it will be available to buy (my guess is a month.) The other big question is the price.... here in Australia, Sony put an RRP of $1099 on the A6000 (versus $799 in the US).... I'm hoping for something more reasonable for the RX100M3. (I can't see it breaking the $1000 mark here in Aus.)
My 2 cents. :)

Rumors say it will have a pop up VF. This would be huge. About 4 years ago I suggested that Leica should replace the pop up flash with a pop up VF in the X1. A pop up VF and reasonably fast zoom whilst keeping the RX100II`s size sounds very exciting.

How can you fit a pop-up zoom and a pop-up flash both in an RX100 body? I'll be amazed if they do it. I really like the current pop-up tilt flash.

How can you fit a pop-up zoom and a pop-up flash both in an RX100 body? I'll be amazed if they do it. I really like the current pop-up tilt flash.

I guess it`s either or. But I preferred a build in pop up VF over a flash any day. The former I`d use very often, the latter rarely.

As much as I like the compact nature of the RX100 I wouldn't get upset if this new version is a bit larger. What I'd really like is for Sony to pack all they can in to something the size of a Fuji X10, for example. Then I'd keep my old RX100 for a pocketable option and have a new camera choice with fewer compromises.

Given where they appear to be heading with the RX100m3, what do you think they could offer spec-wise with an X10 sized body? The RX100 is 17% shorter, 13% less wide, 33% thinner, and weighs 20% less than the X10.

Specs sound compelling.

I wouldn't mind a slightly larger camera. While I like pocketable, I found the ergonomics of the RX100 to be a bit small for my hands. Hopefully, they will put some texture on the body of the next camera.

Specs sound compelling.

I wouldn't mind a slightly larger camera. While I like pocketable, I found the ergonomics of the RX100 to be a bit small for my hands. Hopefully, they will put some texture on the body of the next camera.

I don't think the texture will be different from current ones, that's why they are also releasing a new handgrip sticker to go with it.

To me, size is king if it was so much bigger as not to be pocketable, then I might as well carry around a NEX. I really don't think that will be the case though. I can see them incorporating the EVF and flash into one unit but without the tilt.

Back