Sony Rx100m3

Of course, there is the Nikon P8000 to consider too. It seems likely to have a 24-120 zoom @ f1.8-3.0, new 1" sensor, I assume an EVF inherited from the P7800. Obviously a different form factor but the spec is very similar to the RX100Mk3.

I do wonder how they are going to fit both a pop-up EVF and an inbuilt flash on the same size body? Surely something has to give...?

I prefer the tilt flash. Frankly, ceiling bouncing it has actually reduced my need for a wider aperture. It's also such a small camera, it might be odd to hold it to my face. I think I just talked myself out of it :)

I don't want to be the guy to throw the turd into the punch bowl. But if any early adopters want to go on a photo walk with me when the new camera comes out and loan me their "old" RX100 while they shoot with their new one, I'd like to suggest that the photographs will be nearly indistinguishable.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't constantly buy new cameras (someone needs to keep this economy going), but I swear I read this same thread a year ago..... and a year before that..... and a year before that. And one would assume that if a real game-changer camera keeps coming out once a year, that 4 or 5 years later, the difference between the cameras would be like the difference between black and white. And yet I keep buying state of the art cameras and the output in real world conditions shows me nearly identical results to what I was getting with cameras from 4 or 5 years ago.

Yes, if you pixel peep, you'll see differences. And if you shoot brick walls and test charts, there may be some critical improvement :cool: , but seriously.....y'all need to check yo'self.

the above was written when Luke was feeling too lean in the wallet to even consider a new camera, but he's still pretty certain that any new RX100 won't be that much better than the old one, but fantasize away about this new miracle cam from Sony.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Mate I still can't believe you wrote it but ever so well said! BRAVO!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Mate I still can't believe you wrote it but ever so well said! BRAVO!

I also agree with the original comments, but I enjoy reading about the latest camera tech and trying it out too (within reason - normally my bank budget). It's just one part of the hobby that excites me. In all reality, I don't need to upgrade to the RX100M3 from my M2 because the differences are small. But I will because there are some improvements, I enjoy doing it for the fun, and to try out the very latest in tech. My 2 cents. :)

Of course, the EVF will be a big plus for many. I suspect that will push sales of the new one. It will hopefully also lower prices of the old one so I can buy one.

Of course, there is the Nikon P8000 to consider too. It seems likely to have a 24-120 zoom @ f1.8-3.0, new 1" sensor, I assume an EVF inherited from the P7800. Obviously a different form factor but the spec is very similar to the RX100Mk3.

The form factor is what makes the RX100 a hit. Otherwise people can get a CSC for the same amount of money or less. There's too much unknown about the P8000 like the spec of the sensor. It could be the 14MP sensor they recently announced or it could be a clone of the Sony sensor in the RX100. Aptina can use the Sony patents afterall.

WHAT?! :eek: Are they no longer sure what the specs will be?

On another angle... what would you go for... the new RX100 III (assuming the specs turn out to be exactly what's been leaked so far) at $799-$899 or a discounted RX100 II at a $100 discount, which would put it in the $589 range.

I'd still grab the original for $399

I'd still grab the original for $399

Yeah, I'm of the same mind, in that I think I'll be keeping my RX100 and not paying to upgrade. If it was my primary camera I'd think longer and harder about it, but given that for me it is more of a carry everywhere snapshot tool I place a priority on total value.

Sony is a bit of their own worst enemy here, having made the original so good that it is not so easy to drive folks to upgrade.

WHAT?! :eek: Are they no longer sure what the specs will be?

On another angle... what would you go for... the new RX100 III (assuming the specs turn out to be exactly what's been leaked so far) at $799-$899 or a discounted RX100 II at a $100 discount, which would put it in the $589 range.

I would go for the RX100 II as soon as the III is out and there is a discount for the II. Been dreaming to own one... but couldn't afford at the price it is selling now.

Field test up from TheCameraStore:
Sure looks interesting, and my wife just told me I'm never getting the RX100 she borrowed on our last trip back :)

Two things I'm hoping for though:
Manual flash setting I used this on my Canon S95, turned it to minimum power and that let me trigger a larger flash with an optical trigger due to no preflash. I've tried a pre-flash compatible trigger with the RX100, but that only let me sync at around 1/50 which isn't much fun with a leaf shutter camera capable of syncing at 1/2000.
Zoom setting memory When I had a Panasonic LX5 I found 24mm very nice for some situations but too wide for normal shooting. It would annoy me to no end having to turn on the camera then zoom in a bit before shooting almost every time. I find 28mm much better as a default focal length, so hopefully it can be set up to remember which zoom setting you had when you turned it off and resume that next time you turn it on.

Zoom setting memory When I had a Panasonic LX5 I found 24mm very nice for some situations but too wide for normal shooting. It would annoy me to no end having to turn on the camera then zoom in a bit before shooting almost every time. I find 28mm much better as a default focal length, so hopefully it can be set up to remember which zoom setting you had when you turned it off and resume that next time you turn it on.

From your keyboard to God's computer screen.

The LX5 (and 7, and maybe even 3) had a zoom memory setting as long as you were set to step-zoom. I don't remember where it was in the menus but I remember using it all the time on both the 5 and 7. It also had a memory function to recall your manual focus distance. Made for a great street shooting setup using zone focus. I could have it set for the focal length and focus distance I wanted (and aperture and ISO too), turn the camera off and when I turned it back on it would come back to the exact settings I'd left it at. The only problem is that it wasn't exactly fast to zoom back to the previous level...

-Ray

The RX100 Mk3 (and Mk2?) surely must be able to do this. The Mk1 will return to the zoom length set in the user-defined custom settings (MR1, MR2 etc.), so I would presume that the later models will do so.

Back