Sony Rx100m3

Just read on Sonyalpharumors the lens specs have changed...:) They are now saying it will be a 24-70 lens, still 1.8 - 2.8... If this is true that would make it an awesome travel camera for me.... Curious to see what will be announced on Thursday

The RX100 mki is already a 4.0 at 70mm lens. So they are adding 1 stop. Nice, but not quite as eye-popping as 2.8 at 100mm (or longer :)

I guess it comes down to personal preference of course, but I am much more interested in the extra 4 mm at the wide end than the 30 mm we have to give at the tele-end up if the latest rumors are true....a 70 2.8 will do me just fine. The sensor has enough resolution for an occasional crop if needed

Oh, I missed the 24 at the wide. Brain cramp. Still, yes, I like longer lenses generally, but I know 24mm will be appreciated by a large group of folks.

I'm really looking forward to this camera now. 24 mm is something I was hoping for but didn't expect at all. I just hope they've improved the minimum focusing distance as you zoom in.

I don't want to be the guy to throw the turd into the punch bowl. But if any early adopters want to go on a photo walk with me when the new camera comes out and loan me their "old" RX100 while they shoot with their new one, I'd like to suggest that the photographs will be nearly indistinguishable.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't constantly buy new cameras (someone needs to keep this economy going), but I swear I read this same thread a year ago..... and a year before that..... and a year before that. And one would assume that if a real game-changer camera keeps coming out once a year, that 4 or 5 years later, the difference between the cameras would be like the difference between black and white. And yet I keep buying state of the art cameras and the output in real world conditions shows me nearly identical results to what I was getting with cameras from 4 or 5 years ago.

Yes, if you pixel peep, you'll see differences. And if you shoot brick walls and test charts, there may be some critical improvement :cool: , but seriously.....y'all need to check yo'self.

the above was written when Luke was feeling too lean in the wallet to even consider a new camera, but he's still pretty certain that any new RX100 won't be that much better than the old one, but fantasize away about this new miracle cam from Sony.

Personally, I think it's "4 or 5 years from now" right now and these cameras are mostly the same. However, a pocket-sized cam with 2.8 on the long end and 24 on the wide could be useful for some, without being a game-changer. You can be excited about a product without thinking it solves world hunger.

and, would you mind pulling that out of the punch bowl? I don't really want to touch it (or maybe it's just a Baby Ruth candy bar???)

I don't know that I much care about 24mm vs. 28mm at the wide end. I suppose it can be useful in some cases but the distortion at 24mm limits the true usefulness of that FOV in many situations. Now, I must admit I wouldn't mind a lens that's a full stop faster from, say, 40mm to 70mm compared with the older RX100s. And a decent, pop-up EVF would be highly useful, especially if the entire package isn't much larger. But the price should be right in line with current RX100s. Otherwise, one would do a lot better sticking with or buying the older models.

a pocket-sized cam with 2.8 on the long end and 24 on the wide could be useful for some, without being a game-changer.

Yes, I wouldn't expect - or even wish for:eek: - any discernible difference in IQ, but f/2.8 on the long end would constitute (for me) a worthwhile improvement in useability. I think that many (most?) of us now accept that IQ is no longer the hugely distinguishing factor between digital cameras that it was just a few years ago. There seems to be a shift towards suitability for the individual user being more important.

2.8@70 and something like 2.4@50 would make it a decent indoor shooter. I read it`s 24MP, so 70mm and plenty resolution for some cropping will do it at the long end. 24mm will be very useful. Now let`s see about that pop up VF, if it`s decent it will be a "must have" camera for me.

Back