Birds Show Birds

Been wanting to photograph some birds for a while. Today I took a few with the Sony, even though I don't have a birding kit, using the OM 135mm f3.5 and the 2x zuiko teleconverter.. Then I shot some doves with the Pen F and a birding lens with some reach, the Olympus 75-300. Not a pro grade lens, but not a bad piece of glass for the price.
View attachment 295359View attachment 295360View attachment 295361View attachment 295362View attachment 295363View attachment 295364
The 75-300 does well when you have plenty of light, and you don't expect it to pull a lot of detail from subjects farther away. The hardest part for you might be using it on such a light and small body! It's a challenging lens to steady because it's so dang light.

There is a small irrigation pond near my house, which is home to a dozen or more Canada geese, and a handful of coots, with occasional visiting ducks. Most of the time they swim about, quietly, but every once in awhile, one of them flaps its wings furiously, it's a 'display' behavior of sorts, I believe. Plus, it (wing flapping) can break up the monotony of a slow afternoon.

EM1_Feb28_22_Canada_geese_flapping#5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The 75-300 does well when you have plenty of light, and you don't expect it to pull a lot of detail from subjects farther away. The hardest part for you might be using it on such a light and small body! It's a challenging lens to steady because it's so dang light.
Thanks for your insights. I've been shooting birds with the Pen-F since I got it in 2016 an have never found the body size an issue with any lens. But I come from shooting the very small Olympus OM film cameras, deliberately avoiding the tanks made by Canon and Nikon. I guess I have smallish hands. Most of the time I don't like grips on a camera, feeling that they add unnecessary bulk - for me, I only speak for myself. With a wrist strap and my right thumb firmly on the thumb rest in back and my left hand under the lens, I find the Pen fits my hand well and stabilizing the lens is not a problem. I like the Sony a7II I have, but I'd be happier with it if the grip were significantly smaller and shallower. I have smallish hands and the grips that are very popular with many people are something to be dealt with for me, but aren't especially welcome. I use my X113 without the grip it came with and bought a Leica half case instead. In terms of size and manageability the Pen-F and E-M5 original version are perfect for me. I certainly understand that is not necessarily true for others. But I find myself more or less fighting the grip on the a7 , to the point that I'm very interested in an a7c when I can afford one used down the road. Grips just aren't very grippy for me, but more of an obstacle. I used an OM 300mm f4.5 and adapter on the Pen before I got my 75-300 and never found the tiny body, big old lens combination bothersome. Anyway, a long winded way of saying I love my Pen F with any lens.

Last edited:
In southern Oregon, one sees quite a few colorful Acorn Woodpeckers. Like this one I saw today while walking about---

EM1_Mar2_22_acorn_woodpecker#7.jpg

But I also managed a shot of the same bird as he was blinking - right at the moment he closed his eye---

EM1_Mar2_22_acorn_woodpecker#5.jpg

Funny, this bird stayed perfectly still, didn't budge at all. Anyone know what kind it is? I say the bluebird of happiness.
:)
View attachment 295627

Lawrence, I have heard that birds automatically freeze for Leica shooters..and don't fly off until the shot is taken!
But nevertheless, well captured....particularly at a such a low shutter speed!

Last edited:
Back