Fuji Fuji EF42 Flash

I ordered one of these yesterday from Amazon. Originally I was going to try to find one of the smaller EF-20 flash units. The EF-42 appears to have more bounce capabilities. I will report back on the forum after some testing.
As of this morning Amazon still has a few of these in stock.
By the way, I emailed Sunpak yesterday to see if they had any flashes with the proper pin configuration for TTL operation with the X100. They said they didn't in an email I received this morning.
. . . David

David, I'd be very much appreciate your thoughts on this flash.
It's not something I use often but the X100 has put me back to my early roots.
I'll be using this camera for work also and a flash will be mandatory in the near future.
I also like the idea of more

I await your findings...
Thanks, Don

Thanks for the reply, Don. I'm not a big fan of flashes but sometimes there simply isn't an other choice. I have a FL-36 Olympus flash that works wonderfully on my Digi-Pens as it did on my G1 before I sold it. I also have one of these on the way for the EF-42;
STO-FEN Store - Omni-Bounce Units. I've used Stofen Omni bounces for a very long time all the way back through my Mamiya 645 years. A great edition that really helps a lot to soften up that harsh flash look.
I should be able to post a couple of pictures later today.
By the way, how was your trip to Washington? I'm an Air Force Vet, got out in '74.
. . . David

David, That image I posted was at the USAF memorial.
Thanks for your service. My daughter is still in at 19 years.

Anyway, I've used Stofen also for many years. I still have them.
Lumiquest made a balloon type diffuser that looked crazy but works better than anything.
You loose maybe 1-1 1/2 stops but it softens the light so that it doesn't even look like flash.
I used it straight on sometimes and no harsh shadows at all...

Well, the long and da' short of it is - that it arrived, I tried it and it appears to work well. But, I sent it back to Amazon. It just didn't seem worth the money. I will do some more experimenting with my Olympus FL-36 and manual EV overrides. It was nice but once again since I own an FL-36 I couldn't justify it. If I didn't own the Olympus flash I most likely would have kept this one. 'Hope this helps.
. . . David

Well that was quick. The flash is made by Sunpak.
So, it should be available under that name.
I generally use 5.6 or 8.0 with an auto mode for flash.
There's a gazillion that should work. I'm not sure of the voltage max at the shoe.
Maybe that would help things along.

The balloon thing, I'll look around and try to get the info.
I bought half a dozen years ago. I'll look around and get back to you.

Thanks, Don. That one is, well, unique and I did order one. :rolleyes: Actually, it's pretty cool.
I played around with the Olympus FL-36 when I got home this afternoon. It has three modes; TTL, Manual and Auto. In auto after I figured out how to set ISO, the f-stop chosen on the camera was adjustable to match on the flash and it worked very well including in bounce. With the Fuji flash on the way back to Amazon, I'll work some more with the FL-36 on the X100 and post a couple of pictures using this combination later.
By the way, with the FL-36 on the Pens the TTL controls settable through the camera are pretty incredible. Thanks again for the tip on the diffuser.
. . . David

David. It's inflatable. So you stuff it in your bag and then blow it up.
It softens the light very even across the frame.
I bought 6 for around $40.00 per years ago and would never be without it.
You'll like it. If not, the kids surely will....and so will the cat.

'Bought an EF-20

I returned my EF-42 to Amazon for a refund. But the next day I noticed they had the EF-20 for $149. so I took da' plunge and ordered one. It arrived today. Initial quick tests look very good. I bought a Stofen Omni-Bounce for it, an OM-RQ, a model originally made for the Sunpak version of the flash. "+" and "-" EV controls appear to be controllable either from the camera or on the back of the flash. The later is much easier. The TTL is very transparent and appears to adjust the flash output very well even in bounce based on the f-stop selected. I'll grab a couple of pictures tonight and post them as soon as I can.
. . . David

Here's a very quick snap of our son after we got home tonight. 'Hot for Vermont - 82F. Shot with Omni Bounce attached pointed towards the ceiling. f8 in an attempt to get some detail in the window. Mild LR adjustments. I'll post some more later this week. 'Looks to be good in TTL. Too bad it doesn't swivel but I knew that when I bought it. :)
p37483153-4.jpg

. . . David

Thanks, Don. He wasn't a happy "poser". He had just come in from outside work in the hot sun. Yes, flash appears to be O.K. If you're into guitars and such the Black Heart over his left shoulder is really an incredible tube setup. Too much fun.:)
. . . David

David.... I have many more guitars than cameras and I have way to many cameras.... I recognize the amp but the Fender looks like a newer Princeton or something....dunno.
I have all very old tube stuff.....

The flash worked very well with the camera....how did you have the camera set and the flash?

David.... I have many more guitars than cameras and I have way to many cameras.... I recognize the amp but the Fender looks like a newer Princeton or something....dunno.
I have all very old tube stuff.....

The flash worked very well with the camera....how did you have the camera set and the flash?

I have no flash sadly, however even more sad is this is what I have left...sold my Faun AC 15 HW to help fund the X100 Oh, I'll look back someday and laugh...then cry.

Don - old guitar stuff is very cool indeed. (y) The Fender amp is a Frontman, 100W. The Black Heart stack is one of these - Blackheart: Guitar Amplifiers With Attitude.
"how did you have the camera set and the flash" - I turned on the flash as if I was using the on-camera one. With the flash mounted in the menus the camera acknowledged an external flash so I turn that on in the menu setting too. 'Not much else to do. Setting the EV on the flash is much easier than going into the menus to adjust the flash output.
BruPri - nice setup! Thanks for the photo. 'Sorry to hear about the trade off.
What is it with us "old guys"? Cameras and guitars, cameras and guitars. I remember my first Ampeg as well as I remember for my first Nikon. :D
'Still waiting for the inflatable softbox. 'Looks like it may work very well with the EF-20. Every time I look at a picture of it all I can think of is Arte Johnson on "Laugh-In" with the inflatable doll sailing around the room. :rolleyes:
. . . David

Back