News Calumet Photo Closes

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
This was posted over on mu-43.com but I was stunned to learn that Calumet Photo is closing all of its U.S. stores in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. That means immediate liquidation. So it's all over for Calument in the U.S. Here's a link to where I first learned of the news - Mike Johnston's The Online Photographer:

Calumet Photo Closes In the U.S.

Sad... another great photo retailer, with a history dating back ot the 1930s, is gone. I thought they had managed to carve out a niche for themselves in certain major metropolitan areas. Apparently not.

Calumet bought some of the Penn Camera stores in DC area when Penn Camera bankrupted couple years ago. Now Calumet is gone... I checked their website which wasn't available last night.

I used to shop at the Samy's branch store in Santa Barbara, and one day in 2007 went over to Calumet to look at something - it wasn't pretty. The Samy's store looked like a big gorgeous goody store with everything including pro gear, and located in a great shopping zone, while the Calumet store looked run-down and far away from the action. Samy's was pumping out Leica gear hand over fist, which with the other big brands they carried put them in a good financial position for expansion.

Our Calumet was clean, neat and orderly and the staff were exceptional. And now I have no local camera store to go, check out and buy at. I really don't like online shopping, I like to handle things and see if I'm interested. :( And I had just gotten an email from them on the 12th.. business as usual. I hope no one took them up on their financing option and is waiting on deliveries. If they handle that like they did their employees.. oi.

So, looking for a couple wrist straps.. I checked an old haunt that had closed its doors recently. It would appear they are reorganizing, perhaps only on a mail-order scale (not sure), but as the buttons are currently dead, I think we need to wait until May 11 to know. http://www.calumetphoto.com/

There's still trading here in the UK - I was in the local branch last week. I call in about once a month, but I'm usually the only one there. I get the feeling that they'll go under eventually.

With their little note at the top about returning rentals, I almost wonder if that is a reason...that and getting people's orders to them, which would be nice.

Back