Nikon Coopix A For $549

I see the Coolpix A has dropped in price in the USA.
Nikon's own online store and B&H have it for around $600.

Here in Australia no big price drop that I can see.
Best price in the order of AU$700 in bricks and mortar stores.

I did promise myself a go with one if they get cheap enough.

It's been hovering around $500-600, sometimes with the OVF thrown in, for a while now. The rumors all strongly suggest new versions of both this and the GR built around the 24mp chip used in the Nikon D5300 (I think). Maybe a tilt screen and/or built in EVF. The current A is so damn perfect for me that I don't think I'd upgrade for more mega-pickles. Maybe if they improve a few other details, or if I don't like the new one maybe I'll buy another old one for when the first one eventually bites the dust. Although it's a really robust little camera - I've abused the hell out of mine for close to two years now and it's not showing any signs of use, let alone wear, yet...

-Ray

Strangely enough it has been heavily discounted in The Netherlands for quite some time already, with current lowest price of 399 euro (around 490 USD). The GR on the other hand remains pretty constant in price over here.

Ricoh has a 1.5 to 2 years replacement cycle for GR/GRD line, so most probably it will be updated next spring and it looks like it might come with a new lens also:
Ricoh 18.3mm F2.8 RF patent

Strangely enough it has been heavily discounted in The Netherlands for quite some time already, with current lowest price of 399 euro (around 490 USD). The GR on the other hand remains pretty constant in price over here.

The rumors all strongly suggest new versions of both this and the GR built around the 24mp chip used in the Nikon D5300 (I think). Maybe a tilt screen and/or built in EVF. The current A is so damn perfect for me that I don't think I'd upgrade for more mega-pickles. Maybe if they improve a few other details, or if I don't like the new one maybe I'll buy another old one for when the first one eventually bites the dust. Although it's a really robust little camera - I've abused the hell out of mine for close to two years now and it's not showing any signs of use, let alone wear, yet...

-Ray

I did think myself that 24Mp sensor is a more likely upgrade rather than FF.
At times I think I could use a bit more res, although my prints don't really seem to need more. - Its only when pixel peeping you think you do.

I'd be in on a 24Mpixel version GR or A if for no other reason but to explore if its for me.
I tend to keep the "old version in case of breakage or loss anyway.
There has been some want / banter of a B/W native version of either a GR or A. I suspect its more wishful thinking.

Interesting you mention the likely hood of the D5300 sensor. I'm off to look at some D5300 images with 28mm equivalent on it.

I did think myself that 24Mp sensor is a more likely upgrade rather than FF.
At times I think I could use a bit more res, although my prints don't really seem to need more. - Its only when pixel peeping you think you do.

I'd be in on a 24Mpixel version GR or A if for no other reason but to explore if its for me.
I tend to keep the "old version in case of breakage or loss anyway.
There has been some want / banter of a B/W native version of either a GR or A. I suspect its more wishful thinking.

Interesting you mention the likely hood of the D5300 sensor. I'm off to look at some D5300 images with 28mm equivalent on it.

The only reason I mention the D5300 is because I THINK that's the Nikon DX model with the 24mp sensor - I could be completely wrong about that. Or maybe it's in more than one model?

Although I love the 24mp full frame sensor in the RX1/A7 and D610/750, I opted for the 16mp sensor in the Df at full frame and I doubt I'd be inclined to go for 24 in an APS sensor until there are just no other options. At base ISO, the DR of those 24mp sensors is pretty amazing (and I've read APS sensor is also a DR monster), but I don't spend much time at base ISO and once you're over about 400, the Df is better in every regard other than detail and detail/resolution has just never been the god I pray to. I did a good bit of back to back shooting with the Coolpix A and the Sigma DP1M, which has more resolution and detail than any camera has a right to. And really, the differences only mattered to me under extreme pixel peeping. At 100% the difference was obvious, but short of that, it didn't matter (to me) and there was so much else I preferred about the Nikon. So if THAT didn't sway me, I doubt a 24mp sensor in an new version of the A will either. But I never say never, because I've burned myself too many times by doing that and then quickly changing my mind...

-Ray

... people with tiny fingers or those who think small cameras are cool should know that prices like this do not last. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BOZ1XA6/sco-us-20

I now have an NX300 with 18-55ois, (LR4 included) in my hot, little hands ;) for $310 when prices dropped; a couple days later it was $100 more. Definitely a time of great prices for very brief time-spans!

The $310 price was in their Warehouse for a cam that may have been used, or maybe not; the NIB price was $399.. but when the new price went up $50 the used gear went up $100 :confused: funny how that works.

Does the Coolpix A have something like the crop modes of the Ricoh GR (for 35mm and 47mm)?

Since I don't see myself using only a 28mm that's an interesting feature (for me). In regards to the crop modes, a potentially updated version (with 24mp) might be a slightly better option?

Does the Coolpix A have something like the crop modes of the Ricoh GR (for 35mm and 47mm)?

Since I don't see myself using only a 28mm that's an interesting feature (for me). In regards to the crop modes, a potentially updated version (with 24mp) might be a slightly better option?

Nope. You can obviously crop in post, but you don't get to visualize the cropped image on the LCD...

-Ray

Thanks for the info Ray!
Since I don't really need a 28mm pocket cam, I think I'll pass on this. Great deal or not. (it's not a deal if you don't need it ;) Fell into that trap too often already :) )
Maybe the next generation GR then... who knows? :)

While I too was waiting for next year's models to be revealed (in particular, I was holding out for the next Ricoh GR to pair with my Pentax K-3/Nikon D800 system) but when B&H dropped the price of the Coolpix A this past Friday to $399 I decided to not wait and just ordered it on the spot. The plan is to find a thin neoprene sleeve/case that can hold the A and a spare battery and then keep it in my cargo pant pocket always. While it likely will never be my "primary" camera, I expect that I might end up taking the "majority" of my street images with it. If it turns out that I don't use it as much as I expect I can always give it to my daughter who would put it to good use. At that price point it pretty much is a no-brainer.

YMMV

Michael

J Michael Sullivan

While I too was waiting for next year's models to be revealed (in particular, I was holding out for the next Ricoh GR to pair with my Pentax K-3/Nikon D800 system) but when B&H dropped the price of the Coolpix A this past Friday to $399 I decided to not wait and just ordered it on the spot. The plan is to find a thin neoprene sleeve/case that can hold the A and a spare battery and then keep it in my cargo pant pocket always. While it likely will never be my "primary" camera, I expect that I might end up taking the "majority" of my street images with it. If it turns out that I don't use it as much as I expect I can always give it to my daughter who would put it to good use. At that price point it pretty much is a no-brainer.

YMMV

Michael

J Michael Sullivan

Just picked up an "A" in clearout here in Toronto for $299.99 CAD. For that price, I could not pass it up. Silver only, though I wanted black, for the price I'll live with it. Ordered the leather skin to help give it a retro look.

It'll be my take everywhere camera to complement the X100S and 6D that I use for more dedicated shooting. Will be great when I'm out with the kids or at a function when a pocketable camera comes in handy. Looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Back