Micro 4/3 Panasonic LX / Leica D-LUX Image Thread

Headless angel, two takes, JEPEGs as taken, can't decide which I prefer, such a striking statue it's hard to capture the impact it makes.

6473270973_ca0426f7fa_b.jpg

View attachment 45547

Tough to choose between them. I like the striped background in the first though I think the image would benefit from a tighter crop. I prefer the angle of the statue in the second. An interesting statue.

Briar said exactly what I wanted to say about these 2 images! :tongue: although I don't know where the first pic could be cropped... I really like the statue! where is it?

Red Door

Been out around Didi Digomi a lot recently - an old communist era neighbourhood with lots of concrete - and have mostly been using the LX3. I now have so many decent shots of the district that I started yet another blog to post them on.:)

On this one, as well as the usual collection of lines, angles and textures that I am so often drawn to I also loved the splash of bright colour in the middle of all the shades of grey.

P1020710.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LX3 ISO400 12.8mm f4 1/125

I like it, also with the tiny snippets of contrasting colour (yellow / green) in the leaves on the treest and on the ground. the blog is terribly slow to open though...

I like it, also with the tiny snippets of contrasting colour (yellow / green) in the leaves on the treest and on the ground. the blog is terribly slow to open though...

Thanks.

It's Blogger new approach. I partly started this blog to try it out. At the moment it is pretty basic ad lack the ability to customise that is one of the major selling points for Blogger.

I've also noticed the speed issue from time to time. sometimes it loads okay; other times it can take up to 10-12 seconds to load. No idea why but I'll assume that Google is working on it and will sharpen things up with time.

P.H., as soon as I saw these two headless angel photos I was extremely drawn to your first - there's a lot of power in that first image. I'm with Karen/Briar on a somewhat tighter crop from the top - if that is possible without losing the space around the wings. This view, the angle and the depth of the color, the details that we can see thanks to the lighting - and those brown stripes allow me to sense the strength and power emanating from this headless but incredibly powerful angel. You did very well with a subject - a statue - that can be very difficult to photograph in a way that translates well without special lighting.

olli, I always enjoy your "walking" photographs from the different neighborhoods. I, too, love the bright colors in juxtaposition to the rough and rather dour concrete. I'll have to check out your new blog!:drinks:

Thanks for the feedback, I think I agree with those who prefer the first, that background is ideal. Except from that angle you cant see the hand round the ankle, which to me is an essential part of the story. I know, can't have everything...
The statue is in La Defense, a commercial/retail district of Paris. Fascinating place, some amazing modern architecture and plenty of public art. My first time there and I was working so only had a lunch break to have a look around, somewhere I shall defiantly be going back to.
A couple more, though not as pleasing as the angel;

You know PH, I have seen similar statues before but not in Paris, it was in Rome a few years ago. I loved them there. I wonder if they were done by the same artist. I've attached one of my pics for you to see. It was taken with a Minolta Dimage 7.

4875832649_af724fc3e1_b.jpg

If you have any more, please post them. I'd like to see them.

Olli, I really liked your pictures in your blog. In the context of the blog I think your picture was stronger as part of that group of photos, rather than as an individual picture here. Seeing them all together enabled me appreciate each individual picture more. I really liked them, particularly the bold colours against the old decaying buildings.

Thanks Karen. Interesting that you mention the difference between the single image and the image as part of a group of shots. I've recently been reading Michael Freeman's latest book, The Photographer's Vision, and he discusses the often overlooked role of the means of display in shaping the photographer's approach to the image, something I myself had largely overlooked.

I had photographed in this neighhourhood previously just because it was nearby. As I expanded my collection of shots from the area I consciously decided to make regular visits to explore more of the area and to revisit bits of it I had already seen. When I shoot now, I am conscious of what I have previously shot - conscious sometimes in an unconscious way, if that makes sense - and am indeed shooting to add to an existing collection of images.

I wonder in the light of other ongoing discussions about responses to images if that isn't also true for others. Perhaps images that we feel are not sufficiently 'recognised' don't strike the viewer the same way because they are being viewed in isolation from a larger body of work that each of us creates over time, deliberately or otherwise.

6956725805_93a8d963a3_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1030174 by ...olli..., on Flickr​

LX3 ISO80 5.1mm f4 1/1000

Took this in a field while walking my dog. I think it turned out rather well given that it was a very windy day and I was shooting one handed because I was trying to hang on to Bella, who just wanted to play with the five other neighbourhood dogs who had joined us, with the other.

This thread is looking rather neglected in a forum about Serious Compacts so here are a few from my LX5 taken on the canals near Camden in London recently.

An intersting contrast between old and new

View attachment 94684P1070738.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

Some very pleasant canal-side properties - spot the cow

View attachment 94685P1070756.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

Camden Lock

View attachment 94686P1070755.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

This is Leigh Place in Surrey

View attachment 94687P1070737.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

An old converted water tower ("The House in the Clouds") on the Suffolk coast

View attachment 94688P1070461.jpg by nearlycossack, on Flickr

a few recent LX7 shots

A few recent shots from my LX7...

The first, taken outside my old farmhouse, on a late summer day just before a thunderstorm, shows the LX7's intrinsic abilities with color. Very little processing was done to this -

14611811389_8e9ecd34cf_b.jpg
July sky by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

This next shot, taken inside a local pizzeria, with the lens wide-open, shows why it's nice to have that fast fast fast Leica designed f/1.4 lens - but even better it shows off the ridiculously cool macro capabilities of the lens -

14791587922_bec8a44984_b.jpg
Cheese Shaker by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

And finally, if anyone's wondering how the LX7 does in the monochrome department, this was taken outside the same pizzeria -

14605294088_57e085ee52_b.jpg
Telephone Pole by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

I really like this camera.

Back