Sigma Sigma DP Series Image Thread

Connemara

Attachments

• DP1M0096.jpg
    DP1M0096.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 168
I am thankful to be able to join this thread. In my quest to improve capture quality of landscapes for large wall prints (40"+) I decided to order up a DP1M and a DP3M. Most of my landscapes in recent years have been done with m4/3. I've made some impressive 40" canvas prints with the m4/3 gear, but have calls for larger prints in the 50" to 60" range. So, I'm hoping the Sigmas may help me achieve those sizes. 40" is about at the limit of what I can get a great look with on canvas using the m4/3 gear.

I just got the Sigmas and haven't had a chance to take them anywhere exciting, but around my house... I am a bit stunned by the degree of micro-contrast and fine detail these cameras can capture! These cameras definitely are well suited to desert landscapes. The fine spines on cacti are rendered with great detail and precision.

Some images with the DP1M, which are all tight crops of much larger images. I am posting the tight crops, rather than the full images, as it makes seeing the fine detail on the dumbed-down Photobucket jogs more noticeable.

SDIM0004.jpg

SDIM0008.jpg

SDIM0007.jpg

Taken from my back porch. This is a really small crop of a much larger image and the crispness of the fine, detailed foliage captured with the DP1M is significantly better than achieved with m4/3.
SDIM0009.jpg

GX7 with 12-35 lens:
P1040208.jpg

Here's the crop:
LRScreenshot.jpg

SigmaDP1MCrop.jpg

I can't wait to get the DP1M and DP3M out into the desert behind my house (Tonto National Forest). Much as I love my m4/3 gear, it can't give me the kind of detail these little Sigmas can.

Dhart a great post and can see your thinking behind the acquisition of the Merrill's. I have full frame camera's and the E-M5 with the very nice primes such as the 75mm f1.8. I used to stitched my landscapes with the Oly 75mm and get some great results, but of course with the foreshortening that comes with a long lens . I think seeing the images on screen at 100% from the Merrill's is quite an eye opener showing what the camera's can achieve. Where as on screen the reduced size you lose some of that wow factor. I can imagine looking at your environment you have some fantastic light which will suit the Sigma's well. I only find I go back to the E-M5 when I need to shoot at high iso and a buffer which processes at a greater rate.I do struggle more with the DP1 than the 2 & 3 but nevertheless it still out performs my Canon 17-40 at 28mm on 5D MK2. I think you are in for some fun with that scenery and the detail which can be captured along with the subtle light that the Sigma's can capture.

Julian... thank YOU for all you have contributed here. Many of your fantastic images and posts have inspired me to try the Merrills!

My only FF at present is the 5DMkII with 17-40 f/4. I have not been motivated to use it, however, as I often find myself places where I just wouldn't have bothered to bring such a bulky rig unless I KNEW I was going to need it - and most times, I don't know that in advance. I almost always carry the GX7 and 12-35 and GR with me, so those are the cameras that usually get "the job".

Interesting to read your comment on the DP1M vs. the 5DMkII and 17-40. I've been keeping my 5DMkII and 17-40 around as my "landscape" camera, but I'm thinking I will finally let them go. Wonderful as they are, I have not been so inclined to have them with me. If, as you indicate, the Merrills wind up offering comparable (or better) results, in spite of the niggling "cons" associated with the cameras and software, they will be riding with me most all the time, along with some selection of m4/3 gear as well.

I find that the GR is a strong performer as well, falling somewhere between GX7 with 12-35 and the DP1M, in terms of image crispness and detail. I can see the DP1M possibly edging out the GR, in my stable, as time moves forward.

Julian... thank YOU for all you have contributed here. Many of your fantastic images and posts have inspired me to try the Merrills!

My only FF at present is the 5DMkII with 17-40 f/4. I have not been motivated to use it, however, as I often find myself places where I just wouldn't have bothered to bring such a bulky rig unless I KNEW I was going to need it - and most times, I don't know that in advance. I almost always carry the GX7 and 12-35 and GR with me, so those are the cameras that usually get "the job".

Interesting to read your comment on the DP1M vs. the 5DMkII and 17-40. I've been keeping my 5DMkII and 17-40 around as my "landscape" camera, but I'm thinking I will finally let them go. Wonderful as they are, I have not been so inclined to have them with me. If, as you indicate, the Merrills wind up offering comparable (or better) results, in spite of the niggling "cons" associated with the cameras and software, they will be riding with me most all the time, along with some selection of m4/3 gear as well.

I find that the GR is a strong performer as well, falling somewhere between GX7 with 12-35 and the DP1M, in terms of image crispness and detail. I can see the DP1M possibly edging out the GR, in my stable, as time moves forward.

I am always looking in on the price of the Ricoh GR and hoping there will be a dramatic lowering as that camera is one I'd like to have. The 5D MK2 I find to be brilliant and have had many fine images from, mostly with the use of lenses other than the 17-40. For myself it's distortion wide is awful and nothing special about the colours. I love the 200mm L 2.8 and the 70-200mm, for me the colours from those lenses are superb along with the 400mm f5.6. I use these EF lenses on the E-M5 with adatpter and the 400mm twined with a m4/3 sensor gives a superb set up for birds. Although manual focus and left open at f5.6 i've had some good times using it.
I do admit though I've never had a wide lens that I've been trully happy with and if the landscape will allow have almost always preferred to stitch images.Yes time consuming, but the resulting resolution and clarity surpasses anything I've ever achieved from a single shot. Probably because I have not practised with landscapes enough maybe.
Anyway looking forward to your future shots.

Sigma Dp1

15417262701_633cc1f356_b.jpg
GORAN HAVEN by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

15233690879_952bae8340_h.jpg
GORAN HAVEN by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

These were taken in the Tonto National Forest, behind my house, just as the sun was setting this evening.

With the DP3M:
SDIM0022.jpg

A 100% crop of the above image:
SDIM0022-2.jpg

SDIM0060.jpg

SDIM0060-2.jpg

Desert expeditionary beast:
SDIM0028.jpg

With the DP1M
SDIM0020-2.jpg

SDIM0020.jpg

With the DP3M:
SDIM0043.jpg

Far edge crop of the above image: (I'm amazed at the resolving power.)
SDIM0043-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Some Southwest trivia... the saguaro cacti you see in these images (an Arizona icon) only grows in the Sonoran Desert. Nowhere else on earth! They don't begin to grow "arms" until they are around 60 years old. It is illegal to remove one, even on your own property, without a permit. They are valuable! They sell for upwards from $100 per foot of height, much more per foot with numerous arms. They are extremely heavy and very difficult to move. When transplanted, the orientation of the plant relative to North-South-East-West must remain the same as it was before it was moved, or the transplant will fail. They can gather enough water from one or two desert rainstorms to survive for a year. Like most desert cacti, they are armed and dangerous.. to protect the precious water that they contain!

SDIM0034.jpg

SDIM0034-2.jpg

SDIM0024.jpg

SDIM0024-2.jpg

SDIM0025.jpg

A 100% crop of the above image: (note the meteorological equipment on the distant mountain top).
SDIM0025-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm really looking forward to creating an image with these cameras that is worthy of making a 50" wall print.

Back