Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji XT-1 - new top dog Fuji X or over-festooned retro?

Real Name
    Luke

yup....that new viewfinder and all the ways you can use it are pretty awesome.

Real Name
    Rajiv

This is the first Fuji "X" camera after the X100 that I'm really excited about. I like how they got rid of the buttons to the left of the rear LCD and like how they built the control system around the right thumb and forefinger.

I can control all my settings, including ISO, without having to turn the camera on! Lovely, just lovely. I like second guessing myself as to what the correct exposure should be. This plays right into that personality quirk.

Dang, I think I might just have to pick one up. And get the 56mm 1.2 lens. I don't need another camera. Sigh.
    "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd" ~ Voltaire

It just so happens that over the weekend I worked on clearing out some of my imports-to-be-processed and ran across some older Fuji files. Having not seen them in a long time I opened them in Iridient Developer (these were Xtrans files) and was mightily impressed. The timing of the XT-1 may be unfortunate in my circumstance. I had declared 2014 a no-new-gear year (excepting anything interesting from Ricoh) and instead I would focus on deepening my photographic and post processing education (which I have been doing and I've made good strides) and on creating simple photobooks for personal consumption.

But I have been frustrated by the RAW files from the Olympus E-M1, which I cannot seem to dial in the way I like; they simply don't seem to have the processing latitude that APS and above files do. Very nice files, don't get me wrong, but I tend to push files quite a bit and appreciate some flexibility in post processing depending on what I want to do with them. The XT-1 looks like a nice option to the E-M1, and frankly the lens lineup really appeals to me: 21mm, 50mm, macro and several useful zooms. The XT-1 EVF sounds very appealing too.

In any case, I'll patiently wait and see how the XT-1 pans out. It's clear that Fuji is all out and working hard to design and build a great system. Go Fuji!
    Obsessed with photography . This Is What I Saw . Flickr . Zenfolio

Real Name
    Nick Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewteee View Post
    I had declared 2014 a no-new-gear year (excepting anything interesting from Ricoh) and instead I would focus on deepening my photographic and post processing education.
    Resist, this is Just Another Camera
    We abandon them daily in the wasteland of the past. Because even though I have told you that I am walking to remember, this isn’t completely true - we must embark also on journeys of forgetting. - Paul Salopek

EM5 with Lumix, m.ZD and Voigtländer glass | Ricoh GR | Pentax MX with SMC-M 50/f1.4
    walking | photography | travel
    an exploration of place - 365 days with the Ricoh GR

Nick, nice blogs!
    Obsessed with photography . This Is What I Saw . Flickr . Zenfolio

Real Name
    Sue

Looks good, but no. Just Another Camera as Nick says. There are so many coming out these days, it just gets silly, trying to decide what to get next. Sticking with Pentax for now, for a large small camera :)
    Sue
    --------------------
    Flickr | Blog
    Gear: I keep changing my mind. Silly me.

Real Name
    Bill Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by bartjeej View Post
    ... What I don't get is why all these new "high-end" DSLR-shaped mirrorless cameras omit the built in flash. ...
    Thank the great Lord Barnack that they do. I hate built-in flash with a passion; too weak and small, too close to the lens axis to be useful, and a compromise in body integrity...

Quote Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
    ...what's with weather sealing and the complete lack of product foresite? Presumably Oly/Pana/Fuji had at least reasonably solid plans to release a weather sealed body at some point. Why then were so few, if any, of the earlier 'premium' lenses unsealed?
    Cost, I suspect, plus the neverending internet clamour for a weathersealed body to match those lenses from day one...

Quote Originally Posted by Luckypenguin View Post
    ...their continued refusal to employ a touchscreen panel is either commendable for it's unwavering resolve or just extreme bloodymindedness at the expense of functionality...
    Well, personally I absolutely wouldn't be buying it if it had one - to me it is, like a built-in flash, a weak point - something to go wrong. It's bad enough that it is tilty...I shall be experimenting with velcro dots at least, if not superglue...

[QUOTE=kyteflyer;168587...Sticking with Pentax for now, for a large small camera :)[/QUOTE]

And there's the rub. This is the body that is likely to take me to 80% Fuji, selling off my remaining Nikon kit. This with long and macro lenses, an X-E1 or 2 for standard and long, and I am where I want to be. Back in the day I had Contax SLR and G, then Leica R and M. Fuji are now giving me "all in one" lens compatibility with both SLR and rangefinder form factors. What's not to like, particularly at the price?

My comments above, by the way, are to demonstrate that you can't please everyone all the time. I, with the exception of that damned tilty screen, am as happy as a sand-boy with the spec and just waiting for the call to say that my dealer has mine to give me.
    Regards,

Bill

I'm not going grey, I'm going monochrome...

Me on ipernity - images shown like they should be
    www.lightmancer.co.uk | www.lightmancer.blogspot.com | www.twitter.com/lightmancer

Real Name
    Chris Leskovsek

My only question for Fuji now is and will be,

Does it work with Adobe products, or not yet?.

9. The following member thanks Chrisnmn for this post:

Real Name
    bart

Quote Originally Posted by Lightmancer View Post
    Thank the great Lord Barnack that they do. I hate built-in flash with a passion; too weak and small, too close to the lens axis to be useful, and a compromise in body integrity...
    So long as there's a hot shoe, you can always add a dedicated flash if the built-in flash isn't good enough for you - no one's forcing you to use it as your only flash. I find built-in flash very useful for a bit of fill flash. Regarding the body integrity, that's a fair point, although I think it should be possible to design a flash that's weathersealerd (Pentax has been doing so for years), and the risk of the flash breaking could be reduced by making the flash slightly recessed from the surrounding bodywork.
    Last edited by bartjeej; January 28th, 2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    bartjeej.wordpress.com -> Travel blog of backpacking trip in Africa
    flickr photostream

Real Name
    Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Lightmancer View Post

Well, personally I absolutely wouldn't be buying it if it had one - to me it is, like a built-in flash, a weak point - something to go wrong. It's bad enough that it is tilty...I shall be experimenting with velcro dots at least, if not superglue...
    But where do you draw the line? Failure points exist everywhere, write down to the globs of solder on the circuit board. I've had an EVF go wrong and need replacement so there is another weak point. I've had an SD card get stuck inside on a camera on it's lock tab and mangle the memory card release mechanism; ditto. On the other hand, I have a good amount of faith in touchscreens given that I have seen many of them still working perfectly well when the screen itself has suffered an impact and looks like a spiderweb.
    Last edited by Luckypenguin; January 28th, 2014 at 05:31 PM.
    Nic (Canonite, Olympian, Panasonian, Samsunite) ~flickr~

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast