pinhole photography discussion (and images)

Thanks for the boost guys

I'll be using an aluminium coke tin cut out next - actually painted black 0.04mm thick & thinner than the film i used

Yup, the last looks like a recently found image from WW2 :) I'm enjoying your efforts, discussion and results.

Exactly what I thought, Milan - an image from the London Blitz or from Dresden perhaps.

I do wonder, as the thread has taken off with a life of it's own as a pinhole experimentation thread, whether it could be split off to a new home, as it really doesn't belong in the colour images subforum any longer?

I've spent the morning splashing around the common with a tripod and a broken zenit. Sadly the blutak holding the mirror up failed and I have nil to show for it except boots and trousers that both need a thorough clean

Well I've just remade the new coke can pinhole so more to follow in due course
one thing I note looking through the viewfinder at very bright light is a bit of ray splashing - I'll see what happens before taking a felt tip to it

Unless you are shooting in bright light then its virtually impossible to compose your image through the viewfinder – I’m now using a screw mount lens 30mm wideangle to at least point in the right direction.

The latest pinhole is small about 0.2 it can always be enlarged but it does make exp times much longer although the previous holes at 0.35 or so gave overexposed shots on 200 ASA.

Currently shooting a frame at 30mins exp 34 degree capture – this is shorter time by 10 mins than the calcs tell me. It will be interesting to see when developed what the results are like.

Unpredictability is fun

fun, hmmm?

i'm just scanning the second roll I shot and there are a few salvageable shots. I've been using aluminium foil and a pin to make ... er ... the pinhole. You need steady hands and a light touch, neither of which I have at the moment it seems.

I've been trying sequential exposures of 2,4,8,16 seconds as I have no means of measuring my pinhole to make an exposure estimate.

will be able to post something a bit later ... I hope.

I have a digital Caliper Gauge (Lidl) which I use to measure card etc thickness - putting a card edge up against the hole gives you an idea how large the hole is

I used the feeler gauge to block light off the latest hole - hence around 0.2mm

I have a digital Caliper Gauge (Lidl) which I use to measure card etc thickness - putting a card edge up against the hole gives you an idea how large the hole is

I used the feeler gauge to block light off the latest hole - hence around 0.2mm

I drilled out a body cap for the E-M5, put blackened painter's tape inside, and used a pin to poke a hole n the center , maybe a bit more than half a mm (using a ruler to judge) It seems to work, and I'll bring it with me when I leave the house to see what I can see. I guess I'll throw tape, a pin, and a large black sharpie in the bag too -- and a lens in case my home made pinholes don't do the job.

I drilled out a body cap for the E-M5, put blackened painter's tape inside, and used a pin to poke a hole n the center , maybe a bit more than half a mm (using a ruler to judge) It seems to work, and I'll bring it with me when I leave the house to see what I can see. I guess I'll throw tape, a pin, and a large black sharpie in the bag too -- and a lens in case my home made pinholes don't do the job.

Does the EM5 have a bulb setting?
if not what are the slowest speeds?

Very nice to know Luke

come the lottery ...

In meantime ASDA have fujicolur 200 3 pack for £6.00 (same as Tesco a month or so ago but now not available)

I must be getting serious as this is double the cost of Poundland

Back