Ricoh Snap Settings and DoF

Paul Giguere

www.paulgiguere.com
Sorry if this has been brought up before but coming from the GRD-IV (which has so much latitude with the DoF in Snap mode due to the smaller sensor, etc.), I'm still struggling with getting a handle on the proper combinations of Snap distance setting to aperture setting and what that means in terms of what is in focus from the near to the far range. So, if someone could check this for me, here are three settings:

Snap = 2m
Aperture = f3.5
Focus Range = 4.6ft to 11ft (1.42m to 3.4m)

Snap = 2m
Aperture = f6.3
Focus Range = 3.7ft to 29.4ft (1.13m to 8.96m)

Snap = 5m
Aperture = f8
Focus Range = 4.7ft to infinity (1.44m to infinity)

Any help would be appreciated. As you can probably figure out, I'm trying to create settings for My1, My2, and My3 for quick shifting to various distances. Also, if there is a better combination I should be looking for for street photography or photography indoors (average size rooms for example), please feel free to share.

Thanks,

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Paul,

Those look right. I shoot the very similar Nikon A at 2 meters and f6.3 or so in good light and 3.5 in low light and I do fine with this setups. I'd do the same with the GR and did for the month or so I had one available to shoot with. The GR's distance scale is actually quite good - it and the GXR-28 are the only two electronic scales I thought were close enough to rely on.

-Ray

Paul,

Those look right. I shoot the very similar Nikon A at 2 meters and f6.3 or so in good light and 3.5 in low light and I do fine with this setups. I'd do the same with the GR and did for the month or so I had one available to shoot with. The GR's distance scale is actually quite good - it and the GXR-28 are the only two electronic scales I thought were close enough to rely on.

-Ray

Thanks Ray. I thought you would have the answer. I was using DOFMaster to figure this out (using the Pentax DLSR format since that is probably pretty close to the GR sensor, etc.).

Essentially I'm looking for a set-up for indoors w good light, indoors w low light, and then something to use for general purpose outdoors with good light (basically an infinity setting).

Based on your response, I think I got it.

Thanks,

Paul

Are you looking for help with a GR, Paul? If so, might be good to post in the GR specific forum. I don't think anybody looks in here very much anymore...

https://www.photographerslounge.org/forumdisplay.php?f=117

Thanks. I wasn't aware that a forum had been created for the GR (everyone was posting under the >1" forum for a while). I'll be sure to check that forum from now on.

Paul

Back