Nikon Showcase Post Nikon Df Photos

First shots just to see if the camera works. I think it does.

Cheers,

Antonio
Yeah, seems to work pretty well... :cool:

What brought this on? Is this a replacement for your Canon? In addition to the Canon and Leica? I've got that same 50 f1.4D on mine at the moment. I also have the 50 f1.2 AIS, which is nicer at f2 and smaller, and that's a lot of fun for sort of static subjects, but sometimes I like AF too, and so I've held onto the 1.4D also...

I look forward to seeing more!

-Ray

Ray,

In addition to the Canon and the Leica. I would be lying to you if I said I had a rational reason for getting the Df. As it was, the chance came up to pick up a two-month old body with 460 actuations, at a VERY good price. And, it happened to be black, which was my preferred color.

The seller also had a full set of D series primes (20mm 2.8, 24mm 2.8, 35mm 2, 50 1.4, and 85 1.8) which are in immaculate condition, and which he also let me have for an extremely attractive price.

There is little overlap with the Canon, because my Canon setup is based mostly on zooms. Plus, the Canon is used for very particular tasks (mostly the museum stuff). I expect there will be more overlap with the Leica. We'll see how that works out.

I picked up the package at the post office this morning, so the pictures posted are literally all I have shot. So far, the camera is very likable, although I still have to work on setting it up to my liking.

Other than a few shots around the house just to make sure they all worked, the only lens I have used is the 50mm, as it was the only lens I took with me when I went out today. I found it to be surprisingly sharp, even wide open, but the bokeh is kind of busy. I have been spoiled by the C-Sonnar and the Summilux on the M, though. I am looking forward to trying the rest of the set.

Glad to join the Df ranks!

Cheers,

Antonio

Of those lenses, I like them all pretty well except the 20 and the 35. They don't suck, but there are much better options, where the 24 and 85 punch well above their weight and the 50 holds its own. I love shooting with these little D lenses for the size and the aperture rings - they just go well with the DF for AF lenses.

Enjoy!

-Ray

Of those lenses, I like them all pretty well except the 20 and the 35. They don't suck, but there are much better options, where the 24 and 85 punch well above their weight and the 50 holds its own.

I did a bit of research before buying the set and your opinion seems to represent the general consensus. I actually had the seller quote me just the 24, 50 and 85, but for the difference in price, I thought I might as well get the whole set. Mind you, these are my first Nikon mount lenses (and my very first Nikon body).

What would your recommendation be to replace the 20mm and the 35mm in the set?

Cheers,

Antonio

What would your recommendation be to replace the 20mm and the 35mm in the set?
For the 20 the obvious choice is probably the new Nikon 20 f1.8 G. It's a bit bigger than the old f2.8D, but barely heavier (plastic body), and optically excellent. No aperture ring though - just electronic control. Or there's the Zeiss 21, my biggest lens indulgence, but it's pretty beefy and expensive, even if you find a "bargain" on a used copy. Sweet, sweet lens though! I also have the tiny little Voigtlander 20 f3.5 pancake for when I want to travel really light - it's good stopped down, but I can't say there's much reaso to replace the f2.8D you've got for that...

For 35, there's probably the Nikon f1.8G, similar in all respects to the 20 I mentioned above... Or the Sigma 35 f1.4 Art lens, which is pretty phenomenal for very little more $$, but is pretty beefy. Or the Zeiss 35 f2 (they also make a f1.4 version). All much bigger and heavier than the little f2D you've got. Or the Voigtlander Ultron 40 f2, which is a pancake and excellent, which for me often serves the limited role that both a 35 and 50 would play in my bag...

I'd probably shoot with the two you just got for a while and see if you're OK with them because you can't beat the size/weight and they're just kind of "right" on that camera. But if you want to really build this kit, there are options. With your sweet Leica glass, though, maybe you keep this as a good low light kit, in which case you could do fine sticking with what you got... That sensor really comes into its own at higher ISO.

-Ray

Spent the day in Annapolis on Sunday - my daughter is there training for a new job for a couple of weeks so we drove down to see her and hang out. I don't recall ever having been there before, although given how much of my life I've lived pretty close by, it's hard to imagine I wasn't there before at some point. Pretty little town, but overwhelming crowded on a nice summer weekend.... I shot with a combination of the Zeiss 24mm and the Nikon 50 f1.4 (left the 1.2 at home because I did a good bit of family shooting also that I wanted AF for). I'm clearly a wide angle guy in my DNA, but I'm slowly getting more comfortable with the 50mm focal length again.

19093370819_fd1e5f0af6_h.jpg
Annapolis-74-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

19283402721_c84aa46949_h.jpg
Annapolis-81-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

19253417336_3ccbe1d144_b.jpg
Annapolis-34-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

18658951783_84b500d224_h.jpg
Annapolis-48-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

19091896050_a81193317a_h.jpg
Annapolis-131-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

19093364249_fc4e1d2b18_h.jpg
Annapolis-125-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

I think Maryland's flag is probably my favorite state flag - very European, nearly Flemish...
19273500682_e1d3cb01dd_b.jpg
Annapolis-115-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

Nice.
'Annapolis 34' is a fine shot and I was surprised to see it was with the 50mm...it just feels wider.
Funny you mention that - I had to keep going back and checking that shot because I was sure it was the 25mm also. And it's cropped from 3:2 down to 4:3, so it was even taller if I left it all there. I guess I'm just drawn to that perspective even when the lens doesn't really fit it...

That's my wife and daughter and dog, BTW...

-Ray

Back