Ricoh GR Movie

Chrisnmn

Veteran
Name
Chris Leskovsek
Hey guys i know some of you are aware of the GR movie contest 'be your eyes'.

well, i decided to give it a go, and did a little video for it

I'm not a filmmaker thats for sure, but i had a blast doing this video. This is what Giulio Scorio would call 'hybrid photography', right?

http://www.gr-movie.com/en/movie/#/detail/2pnuhKKvSWQ

what do you guys think?

Thanks Sue!. Yes there is a reason. Well, to be honest i was thinking of doing it half and half really. And had a lot of color images ive done as well. but then when i tried them while building the video, it just got confusing and to be honest, one of the main reasons i bought this camera for, was for its marvelous b&w rendering. plus I've been shooting mainly in b&w for the last year or so. On top of that i wanted to evoke a 'journey' a 'notepad of memories' and for that b&w suited my video better. thats pretty much it.

Thanks Sue!. Yes there is a reason. Well, to be honest i was thinking of doing it half and half really. And had a lot of color images ive done as well. but then when i tried them while building the video, it just got confusing and to be honest, one of the main reasons i bought this camera for, was for its marvelous b&w rendering. plus I've been shooting mainly in b&w for the last year or so. On top of that i wanted to evoke a 'journey' a 'notepad of memories' and for that b&w suited my video better. thats pretty much it.

Thats good reasoning. And TBH it beats the pants off the few others I looked at (and didn't finish watching because they were so meh..)... Its excellent work.

I definitely like this. It's a lot better than some of the other GR Movie entries. It has a nice rhythm, your photography is excellent, and it has an intriguing cinema verite feeling.

I wish I could make the time to put something together for this competition. But it sure as heck would not be filmed with the GR! It's ironic that Ricoh are holding a GR movie competition when the GR's actual video quality is so bad!

Thank you guys for your nice words about the video and all. Hope the judges like it as much as you guys did!. :drinks:

Nicely done. Some of the stills in there I would really love to sit and enjoy outside of the video. I'll check your Tumbler when I have more time.

Thanks Luke, yeah funny you noticed that, but most of the photos in the video are photos i have never shown before, some are new some are "old". Maybe im being to drastic on my editing. But now that im starting to selfpublish my own magazine and books I will start posting a lot more work!. should be fun!.

I enjoyed it! Hope it does well.

Yes, it's hybrid.

Thanks John!, hope the judges enjoy it as you did! Its fun this "hybrid" thing, but ricoh video feature is bad, really bad.

Very very cool Chris! I would have liked to have been able to see the stills just a tad bit longer. Maybe a slower transition? Thank you for sharing!

Thanks Jack!, its good that you were left asking for more!. I know what you mean about the transition, but since the main idea was to point a "journey" and "memories" those come as little "flashes". And thats how i treat it. Plus "wanting" some more is a good thing, means you are "interested", right?. Thanks for the support!

I definitely like this. It's a lot better than some of the other GR Movie entries. It has a nice rhythm, your photography is excellent, and it has an intriguing cinema verite feeling.

I wish I could make the time to put something together for this competition. But it sure as heck would not be filmed with the GR! It's ironic that Ricoh are holding a GR movie competition when the GR's actual video quality is so bad!

Thanks man, I appreciate your words!. Im glad you noticed the rhythm and all that. It's part of the story.

As for trying it yourself, please do!. would love to see what you come up with. I know what you mean about the Ricoh for video, im not a filmmaker but i can tell how bad the video is form the GR. But i dont think its ironic that Ricoh holds a video competition about the GR, cause the competition is making a video to show the GR not to shoot it with a GR, I decided to shoot it with the GR as part of what i wanted to achieve, theres a few other videos that are clearly not shot with a GR. I think its more interesting than another "photo comp" with a theme. go for it!.

I love my GR and it made sense to me to use it at its full potential, or at least what i think is its full potential. hahaha. to much to learn still....

I liked the film, but I agree with Armanius: nothing against flashes, just about the ones that are too frenetic, almost subliminar, for me. Maybe the youngsters, used to video clips, love that kind of thing. I definitely do not. On the other hand, I have only recently started to do video, and I have quickly realized what many have taught before: the importance of time and timing (sound is a second problem, but I have not even tried to work with it yet). Most of my videos are failures, first and foremost because I tend to give too much time to each of my clips - a consequence of the several "times" I feel: one second seems to be nothing when I am thinking of it, it can be too long in a film scene, it can be enough for a very long dream if I am sleeping. I probably have to start to think in milliseconds, which I am not used to.

Thanks Luis for your comment, not sure how old or young you are, but I totally understand that you didnt liked the "flashes", but i completely agree with you when you say about time and timings when doing videos. In fact that was a key point when building this video. :drinks:

Back