Fuji Showcase The Fuji X100 portrait thread

5781673864_1fd30264bd_b.jpg

Ooooooh what a Look!
And what a great iamge!

I've taken tons of pictures of our son over the years on trips and around the house especially during the cold "shut-in" Vermont winters. I think it's her way of describing to others why I'm always taking pictures when we're around other people. "To make a flip book.":) You know the odd stares you get as a photographer when you're not just taking a "smile for the camera" shot.;) Actually she's incredibly supportive of my work. Her own photographs hangs throughout our house. Not as many as mine but some nice work just the same.
. . . David

Thanks very much kyteflyer. I've gotten some criticism about certain parts of the picture and will probably try a redo with some slight changes. Right now, I still like the picture a lot as is, if I do say so myself. After I make a few changes I'll post again.

P.S. Thank you Lili, for going back and time to find the little boy on the lawn. David, "flip book" it is then!

BB - I could have sworn I commented yesterday on your photograph, but the reply is no where to be found. Oh well. Let me try again - "very nice candid portrait". I like the pose and the processing style a lot. Well seen and captured.
. . . David

Thanks very much kyteflyer. I've gotten some criticism about certain parts of the picture and will probably try a redo with some slight changes. Right now, I still like the picture a lot as is, if I do say so myself. After I make a few changes I'll post again.
I think its quite good. The only thing that potentially detracts is his expression of what LOOKS like a combination of mild surprise and mild disapproval at being caught on camera. Which I may be misreading, but that's how I react as a viewer. I like seeing people pics when the people either don't know they're being photographed, don't care, or are OK with it. Anytime I see a photo of someone who doesn't appear to want to have his or her photo taken, I'm taken slightly aback by it. But, again, I may well be wrong about this and EVERYTHING ELSE about the photo works really well, from the pose, to the angle, to the processing. So I wouldn't personally change it...

-Ray

Thanks Ray. I won't comment on the look that you're seeing there because...well, as much as I know what I saw (and I do know the person pictured quite well), I realize that everyone brings to the image their own thoughts and there's no real point in the photographer saying what they felt...even though they might want to. But because we're pals, I'll let you know that he was OK with it and that the look is part of his persona.

I think that one of the challenges of portraiture is to hope that even if the viewer doesn't know the person in question that they can come away with a strong impression. One can't guarantee that it will be exactly what one saw oneself, but one can hope.

Thanks Ray. I won't comment on the look that you're seeing there because...well, as much as I know what I saw (and I do know the person pictured quite well), I realize that everyone brings to the image their own thoughts and there's no real point in the photographer saying what they felt...even though they might want to. But because we're pals, I'll let you know that he was OK with it and that the look is part of his persona.

I think that one of the challenges of portraiture is to hope that even if the viewer doesn't know the person in question that they can come away with a strong impression. One can't guarantee that it will be exactly what one saw oneself, but one can hope.

I think different people will always see the same thing differently and that's one of the best things about photography to me, that one picture can take on many stories. I see him as giving you his undivided attention.

Thoughtful indeed - and a dream of an image. This is a treasurable photograph and one that your daughter will love almost as much as you do, when she is much older. Beautiful.

Back