Fuji Showcase The Fuji X100 portrait thread

It's a portrait of a portrait of a re-shoot of a portrait, but there is a theme (legendary compact cameras)

Ricky Fung is a local recording legend. His breakthrough was as a founding member of the group The Mystics in Hong Kong and Macau in the 1960's. They recently did a reunion gig for the 2010 Encontro in Macau, I was invited to shoot and chose to do so with a period camera, a Pen FT. It was a great evening; very high profile guests, TV coverage and the images came out well, but I was shooting from the pit. I did a re-shoot later in a friend's bandroom and got some shots from a higher elevation using a Ricoh GX200. I shot racked out and wide open at f/4.4 at 1/80 ISO456 under ambient light. This week, I repainted one of the Ricoh images into a titanium and carbon black acrylic on canvas, presented it to the artist for his birthday and photographed him holding it in a dark and crowed club with my X100. The exposure below was at f/2, 1/8s ISO6400, all ambient. It was colour corrected for the red stage lights, but there was no denoising. It turns out that ricky is a big camera geek; he gave his Fujifilm S5 to his son and is currently shooting a Sigma DP1. He complains that it can't shoot reds planned to go out the next day and buy himself the X100.

Ricky_Fung_Mystics_Picture.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ugog, any reason you decided to change the way we could see that wonderfully smiling and happy picture of your son? A minute ago he was right there smiling away and now we have to click on that link? I'd love to see his smiling face back here again in living color! The colors are just right, too!

P.S. Aha, I see you've now made a change or two - many thanks, ugog!:2thumbs:

BB - thanks. He stops smiling if I don't get the hint after a couple of pictures. I was getting close to deficit spending with this picture. Hence the hand gesture. My wife says we have a "flip book" of him through the years growing up. :)
. . . David

Back