Street Street photography (Image thread)

20211224)_124111_PGX91722_misc_DxO-2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DxO DeepPrime noise reduction applied.

PICT2717.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was going through some old photos last night and tweaking them using my current version of Lightroom. This one was shot on my Minolta DiMAGE A1 (anyone remember those?) back in 2005. Lightroom did a good job of tidying up the noise and the clarity adjustment really added some punch compared to its original look.

It also exemplifies, for me, one of the things I enjoy about street photography because it shows what a place was like at a certain point in time. In this case, in 2005 it was a huge, new mall in Chinatown which looked like it might become a success. But 17 years later, it's a shabby mall with few shoppers, lots of vacancies and the area is surrounded with drug users.

TERRIFIC!!!
What a unique perspective on life in your city!!!
This looks like a side street in a residential area?
Are outdoor murals common?
No sidewalk-just street and walls.
So glad to know that you like the photo.
That was taken in "Wukang Road" street located in the area of famous "French Concession of Shanghai". Most of the residential buildings there built in 1920's and 1930's are now the legacy of France style architecture. Since the residential buildings have been occupied for almost 90 years and the entire renovation of them has not yet been done, only periodical face-lifting is the practical option by far. I think outdoor murals are the part of the face-lifting project and such street art is rarely seen (in China wall graffiti is seen as "vandalism" so is prohibited).
In the photo it shows a perimeter wall of a mansion that was once owned by one of French tycoons a century back. Now it is occupied by a design institute.

Back