Apple iPhone 5S camera filters -- applied only on export and when viewed in the phone?

wt21

Hall of Famer
Here's something interesting I just noticed. It seems the 5S applies an art filter in camera when viewing or exporting, but not to the jpg itself??

When uploaded from the phone directly, when I used the "instant camera" filter, it looks like this, which is the way it looked on the screen when I snapped it:
ImageUploadedBySeriousCompacts1379717954.016608.jpg

When downloaded to my laptop, the jpg looks like this:
20130920-IMG_0761.jpg

The jpg doesn't have the art filter applied. That's disappointing for the way I usually shoot and process. It means I'll have to export the file from my phone to somewhere, rather than plug in my phone and download to LR.

Now I see what you're getting at. I've never used built in filters from Camera. Are those what you mean? I'm not sure if they are different on the 5S than otehr iOS7 devices. I'll shoot something and see what happens

[edit] OK thats a confirm. Its not the 5S, its iOS7. I get the same thing on my 4S. Good thing I don't usually use the built in filters :)

It's a known issue, and now there's an app that fixes it called FilterKeeper,

http://filterkeeper.com/

It creates copies of photos so that iOS filter effects won't disappear when exported to other devices.

Like some users wrote here, when you sync or export your photos from your iPhone, your filter effects are lost and it seems to be an intentional design choice by Apple.The photos in ios7 are "lossless" which means the filters are applied distinctly from the raw image file. When the image is exported, the filter disappears based on what device/os/program is being used. Well, almost all of them won't show the filters. That's where the problem lies.

This FilterKeeper app creates new photos that keeps the filter effect. it finds those photos that have ios7 filter effects attached to them, lets you choose the photos that you want to be processed, and saves the effects to the image itself.

Cheers.

Aha! I knew there's something there that's telling my guts to still not upgrade to ios 7. :D (Although I am beginning to tire of that red "1" on my Settings icon.)

Back