Ricoh Ricoh GR jagged looking Preview on camera LCD.

Tom K.

Regular
Name
Tom
I was playing around with my new GR today. Snapped a few test shots before I had to go to work. Looking at them on the screen of the camera all lines look super jagged. Is this considered normal behavior?

If so....that ain't cool.

I shoot RAW btw.

Yeah, that is normal. I think it is just that the previews for the display are rendered at fairly low quality. You won't see the same jaggies in the actual RAW file when imported.

Before you get too bummed out about it, the trade-off is speed. If you want the camera to process a JPEG so everything is smooth, then you'd need to wait for it. I don't have the GR, but I assume if you set it to RAW + JPEG, then you won't get jaggies because it will be showing you a final JPEG rather than a quickie low-res approximation.

It still happens on rare occasion....mostly if I've shot something with a fine repeating pattern such as some fencing, fabric etc it can show up when looking at the preview on the rear LCD. Fear not though Tom, it doesn't show in the actual image.

To clarify...are you talking about the moire like effects when viewing fine lines and pattens on small screens or something entirely different ? ....I ask because sounds like your really disliking the screen and I actually think the GR rear LCD is as good and better in many cases than most I've used.

I would be curious if Luke's idea would work (JPEG+RAW giving you the higher quality JPEG as a preview).

I noticed it right away on the camera, but it only is visible when you zoom and I am probably not previewing enough in the field to get annoyed.

Hey Tom, eveytime we shoot in Raw what we see in the back of our LCD is a little jpeg, that the raw files have embedded on all digital cameras in the market. Apparently the jpeg embedded in the GR Raw files, are smaller for the resolution of the LCD, therefore the jagged files.

How I fixed this,

shoot raw plus jpeg. or RAW+ in the GR that will create a medium or large jpeg besides the RAW file that when zooming in the LCD will not looked jagged and you will be able to see all details and check focusing.

hope that works. Fujis are the same btw. But not Olympus. weird.

To clarify...are you talking about the moire like effects when viewing fine lines and patterns on small screens or something entirely different ? ....I ask because sounds like your really disliking the screen and I actually think the GR rear LCD is as good and better in many cases than most I've used.

Exactly. "moire like effects when viewing fine lines and patterns"

Back