Canon Canon S120 vs S110

Juergen

Rookie
Name
Juergen
Hi guys, as most of you will probably know Canon announced the new S120 just a couple of days ago. Other than a new Digic 6 processor and a slighty faster lens, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two models. Since the S120 was announced I have already noticed a drop in price of the S110. I am wondering if I should buy the S110 now or wait for the S120 since that will be a more recent model. IQ is obviously my main concern. Looking at the specs, do you guys think the S120 will be a substantial improvement over the S110 in terms of IQ ? In other words, will it be worth the higher price or should I just jump in at the S110 since the price is dropping?

How can one know until there are lots of photos taken with an S120 to compare with the S110? Opinions will be uniformed since the S120 isn't in wide use -- yet. No offense, Sue, lol. It's just the IQ isn't really known yet.

I had the S90 which I gave to my daughter and got an S95. That one got stolen and I got the S100. I was very happy with the IQ results and general function of all of these. But, I ended up selling the S100 when I got the Sony RX100.
IMHO you probably be very happy saving a few dollars and picking up S110. But maybe wait to see it there compelling features that would make the newer model better for your usage.

I gave my daughter my camera money for her honeymoon with a strong suggestion for the X-10 (hoping I could borrow it)

She bought CANON PowerShot SX280 HS (doh!) - It is worth checking out but there are masses of quality options available

I read somewhere (don't recall where - maybe DPR) that the primary difference between the two is the wi-fi capability and maybe a slight improvement in AF speed. The same thing held for the G15 to G16 upgrade. So it doesn't sound like IQ or anything about the lens has changed. If wi-fi is a big issue to you, you may want to investigate farther, but otherwise I'd probably go for the S110.

-Ray

I once took a Canon S90 with me in a short trip to Madrid. Although some of the pictures I took still please me, I did not quite like the ergonomy of the S90 - and particularly the fact that it was very hard to see the screen under the Madrid sun. That is why I decided not to buy the S100, and later bought the Panasonic LX7 with its optional electronic viewfinder. In my opinion, this set is miles ahead of the Canon S series in ergonomy, the zoom apertures are much better (and allow for pictures that would be impossible otherwise), and the image quality is - if anything - also better than the Canon's. There are some complaints in the internet about the reliability of these Canons, but I do not know if they are significant. The Canons S90 to S120 are of course more pocketable than the LX7, but if that is important to you, I would take the Panasonic LF1 instead of the Canons. Just a personal opinion.
[a disclaimer: I have owned several Canons, and have absolutely nothing against this company].

I gave my daughter my camera money for her honeymoon with a strong suggestion for the X-10 (hoping I could borrow it)

She bought CANON PowerShot SX280 HS (doh!) - It is worth checking out but there are masses of quality options available

Lesson learned. Just buy the camera "for her" next time. :)

I read somewhere (don't recall where - maybe DPR) that the primary difference between the two is the wi-fi capability and maybe a slight improvement in AF speed.

"The main change to the PowerShot S120 is the slight increase to the maximum aperture, which now ranges from F1.8-5.7 instead of F2.0-5.9. This change addresses the fact that most other cameras in this category start at F1.8. Faster autofocus is listed as another feature worth noting, Canon claiming up to 50% improvement in shutter lag and AF speed." From DPReview.

"The main change to the PowerShot S120 is the slight increase to the maximum aperture, which now ranges from F1.8-5.7 instead of F2.0-5.9. This change addresses the fact that most other cameras in this category start at F1.8. Faster autofocus is listed as another feature worth noting, Canon claiming up to 50% improvement in shutter lag and AF speed." From DPReview.

Oh, right. Thanks. I think I saw that too, but obviously spaced it out...

-Ray

It depends on the lens. The older lens is said to be quite mediocre at the wide end and if that has been improved, I think you may consider buying the newer model.

Back