Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon S120 vs S110

Real Name
    Juergen

Canon S120 vs S110

Hi guys, as most of you will probably know Canon announced the new S120 just a couple of days ago. Other than a new Digic 6 processor and a slighty faster lens, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two models. Since the S120 was announced I have already noticed a drop in price of the S110. I am wondering if I should buy the S110 now or wait for the S120 since that will be a more recent model. IQ is obviously my main concern. Looking at the specs, do you guys think the S120 will be a substantial improvement over the S110 in terms of IQ ? In other words, will it be worth the higher price or should I just jump in at the S110 since the price is dropping?

Real Name
    Sue

I think I'd probably get the latest I could, but if $$$ is an issue, get the S110. I don't think there will be a massive difference, the sensor won't have changed. The faster lens is what would tempt me, if I was in the market for this.
    Sue
    --------------------
    Flickr | Blog
    Gear: I keep changing my mind. Silly me.

How can one know until there are lots of photos taken with an S120 to compare with the S110? Opinions will be uniformed since the S120 isn't in wide use -- yet. No offense, Sue, lol. It's just the IQ isn't really known yet.
    john griggs - entropic remnants
    home blog facebook youtube flickr

fujifilm: x-e2 x-m1 18mm 23mm 27mm 35mm 55-200mm zeiss: 12mm touit

Real Name
    Sue

:P As always, John, its an opinion
    Sue
    --------------------
    Flickr | Blog
    Gear: I keep changing my mind. Silly me.

Real Name
    Don

I had the S90 which I gave to my daughter and got an S95. That one got stolen and I got the S100. I was very happy with the IQ results and general function of all of these. But, I ended up selling the S100 when I got the Sony RX100.
    IMHO you probably be very happy saving a few dollars and picking up S110. But maybe wait to see it there compelling features that would make the newer model better for your usage.

Or take a peek at the Panasonic LF1 ...

Quote Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
    :P As always, John, its an opinion
    Hey, she stuck out her tongue at me! Moderator! Mom, Sue's doing it again!
    john griggs - entropic remnants
    home blog facebook youtube flickr

fujifilm: x-e2 x-m1 18mm 23mm 27mm 35mm 55-200mm zeiss: 12mm touit

I gave my daughter my camera money for her honeymoon with a strong suggestion for the X-10 (hoping I could borrow it)

She bought CANON PowerShot SX280 HS (doh!) - It is worth checking out but there are masses of quality options available

Real Name
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar

I read somewhere (don't recall where - maybe DPR) that the primary difference between the two is the wi-fi capability and maybe a slight improvement in AF speed. The same thing held for the G15 to G16 upgrade. So it doesn't sound like IQ or anything about the lens has changed. If wi-fi is a big issue to you, you may want to investigate farther, but otherwise I'd probably go for the S110.

-Ray
    We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir

My Flickr Stream of Consciousness

Real Name
    Luis Castro e Solla

I once took a Canon S90 with me in a short trip to Madrid. Although some of the pictures I took still please me, I did not quite like the ergonomy of the S90 - and particularly the fact that it was very hard to see the screen under the Madrid sun. That is why I decided not to buy the S100, and later bought the Panasonic LX7 with its optional electronic viewfinder. In my opinion, this set is miles ahead of the Canon S series in ergonomy, the zoom apertures are much better (and allow for pictures that would be impossible otherwise), and the image quality is - if anything - also better than the Canon's. There are some complaints in the internet about the reliability of these Canons, but I do not know if they are significant. The Canons S90 to S120 are of course more pocketable than the LX7, but if that is important to you, I would take the Panasonic LF1 instead of the Canons. Just a personal opinion.
    [a disclaimer: I have owned several Canons, and have absolutely nothing against this company].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast