Canon Showcase EOS M Images

Nice stuff! I went out and bought one of these tonight, can't wait to test it out tomorrow.

This forum seems to be lacking on content and activity. Does anyone know of another forum for EOS-M users that's more active?

Hi there

This a home studio shoot on the EOS-m with the 18-55 lens.

Attachments

• Girl-Friday.jpg
    Girl-Friday.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 807
  • Girl-Friday2.jpg
    Girl-Friday2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 804
  • Girl-Friday3.jpg
    Girl-Friday3.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 790
reviving the thread

Trying out an EOS-M with a 22mm pancake lens. The first images look promising - especially the colors -

Simple subjects at first - rocks on the front porch of the old farmhouse where I live -

15356534825_67003f8d9b_c.jpg

Front Porch rocks
by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

The stem of a pumpkin just picked from the garden -

15169796510_7ffc4b283f_c.jpg

Pumpkin Stem

And a low-hanging branch of a plant I don't particularly like - Pyracantha - but which the bees seem to adore -

15169846118_e71f191b86_c.jpg

Pyracantha

EOS in color and monochrome

I'm having fun playing around with the EOS. It's weird using a camera which is so touch-screen-centric, but there's a certain logic to it, and it does some things very well. Including colors - in this case, my friend and fellow photographer John showing me his pink Holga rangefinder -

15178190058_1328cf421e_c.jpg

Pretty in PInk

It also seems to create digital negatives with a lot of latitude, that convert nicely to monochrome -

15341665106_52e9de2a35_c.jpg

No Trespassing

And oft-maligned slow-focusing which the EOS has been lambasted with....doesn't seem that slow to me. But time will tell....

Jim's Better Buys (We Pay Cash for Cars and Trucks!)

I think the EOS-M may be a keeper....the quality of images I'm getting from it is surprisingly good.

This was taken today on the semi-rural main street of the small Oregon town where I live -

15209364588_79e21a06b4_b.jpg

Jim's Better Buys

Taken with the 22mm 'pancake' lens (field of view equivalent to a classic 35mm).

a handful of new EOS-M images

The more I use this camera, the more it 'grows' on me. Maybe not the best choice of words, since the camera body is so diminutive, and the 22mm 'pancake' lens is quite tiny. But I like the results. These were taken today - this behind our local small town City Hall/Library complex, where utility workers left spray-painted notes on the road -

15221253629_ccff0d3950_b.jpg

Locate

A Speed Limit sign in the adjacent parking lot -

15404863541_1f02146f9a_b.jpg

Speed 5

Nearby, a reflection in a water puddle left after a brief downpour -

15385056006_32557d3e14_b.jpg

Reflection

And last but not least, a Mexican Calavera painted skull on sale amidst the Halloween decorations at a local supermarket -

15221398419_83c1d5ed53_b.jpg

Calavera

old and rusty

In its new status as my current smallest semi-pocketable compact camera, I brought the EOS-M + 22mm pancake on an errand to the remote (to me) town of Central Point, Oregon, where the semi-rural main drag features an abundance of older, rusted machines and vehicles, either patiently biding their time till they are called back into action, or enjoying their 'retirement'.

This old Chevrolet pickup was driven here from southern California, then parked in this spot and has been sitting here for the last dozen plus years. It's owner assured me that it 'still runs' and I believe him.

15431226011_b4695cd225_b.jpg

Rusty Chevrolet pickup

Nearby, a huge old engine block sits under a protective tarp, awaiting parts for a rebuild...

15247889797_ac48ec6b94_b.jpg

rusty engine block

When you're old and rusty, patience apparently is more than a virtue - for some....it's a way of life.

I like a lot what I see, Miguel, thanks for posting these. Contemplating getting the same combo, for the same reasons.

You're welcome, Milan.

Apart from my interchangeable-lens-cameras - which currently are Lumixes (a wonderful GX7 and a quite cool and smaller GX1) but which previously were Olympus Pens (a PL2 and a PL5) and before that a venerable-but-very-cool Pentax (the K200D), I've spent years juggling a series of different semi-compact single-lens camera that I've wanted mainly as a quality-but-simple take-anywhere camera that I could always bring along. My first - and still one of my favorites though it's now long gone - was an Olympus C-8080, a tank-like beast that had great IQ (back in the early days of digital prehistory) and a great lens - but stupidly s-l-o-w write times and an irritating menu/OS. The C-8080 gave way to an LX1 - then briefly a Samsung EX1/TL500. None of them had one thing which I think I value now more highly than most other characteristics - namely the ability to do close manual focusing.

The LX7 (I bought Ray Sachs's old one from him a few years back) came even closer - and probably still is one of my favorite cameras - close to the C-8080 - but it lacked a dedicated focus ring - and also, apart from the very low ISO's, it didn't quite have the brilliant IQ that my early days shooting both analog and digital Pentaxes, among other things, had gotten me accustomed to. So I said farewell to it. Which only left 2 other candidates recently in my misguided opinion: the Coolpix A - and the new Ricoh GR. I spent a good week shooting with the Coolpix and liked a lot of things about it - but I didn't totally 'bond' with it. And so far, I haven't ever shot with a GR - though a number of photographers that I deeply respect do, and seem to create amazing images with it. Which brings me to -

The EOS M - the little 'M'. I decided to try one out mainly because of the brilliant images another photographer that I really like - Jeff Damron - has been making with his M over the last few years. And it had a lot of potential negatives - or at least weird and unknown aspects - including a touch-screen system - and a lack of the multiple buttons and dials I had gotten used to, especially on my Lumixes. So I was prepared to dislike and dismiss it -

But it's grown on me, steadily. The image quality is quite remarkable. The lens - I only have one, the diminutive 35mm equivalent, the tiny 22mm pancake, is so small that the whole thing's almost pocketable. The manual focusing on it is very cool. And the supposedly slow-as-a-snail focusing isn't all that bad - though I've only used mine with the newer updated firmware. It's also very well built - it feels solid as the proverbial rock to me - more so than a number of other good cameras I've used. But it's really all about the lens I think - and it's got a wonderful one. It isn't obviously quite at the detail level of an RX1 - but it also doesn't have those immense (and for me, unwieldily large) digital full-frame negatives. And so far at least, the digital negatives it produces have a lot of the qualities I like - including the ability to manipulate in many ways - and also rescue from difficult lighting situations. I know a lot of Canon users talk about Canon colors but since I've shot almost exclusively RAW, I can't comment too accurately on that - other than to say they're more than equal - and in some cases clearly nicer - than anything I've gotten from my very good micro 4/3 cameras & lenses - and are the equal of my truly superb Pentax glass from way back when.

And....did I mention....the whole package - camera body + lens - is stupidly affordable these days?

I think it's a great small camera....provided that you don't mind taking the time to learn - and get used to - some of the quirks and oddities of the touchscreen system. But I have - and I quite like it. Hope this helps in your ongoing contemplations.... ;-)

Stop pushing me over the edge :)

Seriously, thanks for the detailed write-up, I enjoyed reading it and found some similarities. Not really my first camera, but the very first one I started using deliberately and learned shooting with was Canon Pro1, something similar to your Oly C8080 (I lusted after that beast in those times but never actually got one). After Pro1 died I went from DSLR (Nikon D70) to NEX and brief disappointing affair with M43 in guise of Panny G3 to settle on RX100.

I found out I don't like changing lenses. And enjoy primes. So basically the idea is to have two (a few?) small fixed lens cameras instead of lugging lenses for one system.

M with 22mm fits just in the middle of that plan (RX100 claiming wide angle). Trouble is it's impossible to get just the 22mm combo here and I'm not interested in kit zoom. Ebay's shipping + customs adds a bit to much. So I'm waiting for the right deal, lusting over Samsung's NX200 and 30mm prime at the same time :)

Back