Sony Sony NEX-5n + 3 Carl Zeisses or Fuji X-E1 + 35mm

asterinex

Regular
Hello Guys,

I need your opinion on this one. I still have my E-P1 and have been saving all these year for something new.
The E-P1 is my first 'real' camera. I learned photography with it. I really like the looks and controls, but IQ (mainly noise and DR) are outdated now.
I have the opportunity to buy 3 very good Contax Zeiss Lenses.
So I have been thinking weather I buy :
A) fuji XE + 35mm 1.4f or Zoom and later the 35mm
Advantages : Autofocus, great lenses, great sensor, cool looking camera.

B) NEX - 5n
+ Contax Carl Zeiss Distagon 28mm f2.8 (one of the best 28mm 2.8f)
+ Contax carl zeiss vario-sonnar 3,4/35-70 t* (many say one of the sharpes zoom lenses, It is like havin primes in a zoom)
+ Contax carl zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 (a classic)
Advantages : Great lenses, work on any future body I buy (FF,ASPC, M43), lenses keep their value.

A or B ? (about same price) :)

I'm a pure Fuji fan and have to say the Fuji x series of camera's have everything that I want. I have been using DSLR's for years but meeting the x100 I fell in love with its capabilities.

I would go for the Fuji and if you are in the uk I would consider looking at the deal Fuji is offering. Buy a x1pro and lens and Fuji will give you either a 18 or 35mm free so makes a very good option. Getting the x1pro plus 2 lens for around £1600.

Kevin McMann

I'd go with the 5n but then again I really enjoy using legacy glass so I'm hardly impartial. I think you gte a bit more flexibility with the 5n (you can change lenses) but the X100 is a fine camera.

I'm an autofocus guy and would pick the Fuji if those were my choices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using S.C. App

Can the fuji lenses compete with the zeisses? Do they have a 3d pop effect?

I don't know about special effects as I normally leave that till I am in photoshop. The optics are good in the Fuji and I say that from coming for DSLR background. The optics are perfectly matched to the sensor on the x100. But if you up the game to the x1pro then you have access to what ever optics you want to use.

but special affects in a camera are good but I would guess they don't match up the the effects you can achieve in photoshop. But for quick processing then it's good.

This comparison is not even close for me: I would choose the Fuji without a doubt. It really depends on how you want to use a camera but for me the use of manual focus lenses was a cheap pursuit that I wasn't interested in investing a lot of money in. Also, the NEX 5N can be a bit difficult to handle because it is quite short in the body and handgrip.

A better comparison would be the NEX 6 and Fuji XE-1, then you would be comparing 2 cameras that have built in EVF. Using the 5N with just the LCD and focus peaking is a whole different experience and not everyone's cup of tea.
Personally I'm happy using the LCD on my 5N but a built in EVF would be nice for telephoto work or when I have to hold the camera high..

Okay now I SWEAR that said X100 not XE-1...okay in that case I change my vote. I'd got with the Fuji as well. No doubt.

the original post had X100 in the title, but when I read the post, it said X-E1 + lens and several people responded to the title rather than the question, I realized it was typo in the title and fixed it.

the original post had X100 in the title, but when I read the post, it said X-E1 + lens and several people responded to the title rather than the question, I realized it was typo in the title and fixed it.

Okay, cool...glad to know I'm not losing it.

Back