Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching from M9 to XPro1 -- an interesting and provocative review

Real Name
    Jack

Switching from M9 to XPro1 -- an interesting and provocative review

Quite an interesting review of the XPro1 by Chris Weeks. Chris is one of the reasons I got a M9 a few years ago after watching his excellent street photography video one too many times. He was really high on the Leica digital rangefinder, but alas, no more.

APhotoContributor: Digital Kool-Aid.

ps: There are some not so subtle jabs at other well known red dot enthusiasts.
    Last edited by Armanius; October 24th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
    Armanius
    My Flickr
    Current Gear: A little bit of this and a little bit of that, but want more!

2. The following 3 members thank Armanius for this post:

Real Name
    Steve

The legend of Leica has never really been built on digital bodies. The lenses are wonderful and the film bodies were beautiful mechanisms. But Leica asks a big premium and diminishing returns makes that a hard route on which to deliver. I'm not criticizing any Leica body as an image making tool; it's just not a surprise that others can do something essentially equivalent, or better, for less money.
    Last edited by drd1135; October 24th, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
    E-M5, E-PM2, Stylus 1, RX-7, and XF1

Real Name
    Antonio

I think that Mr. Weeks has a huge chip on his shoulder. Any useful insight he may have into the Fuji X-Pro 1 is completely drowned by his vitriolic attack on Leica and Leica users.

Antonio

Real Name
    Amin

The first two paragraphs:

Let’s see … I know I’m many months late with my impressions of the Fuji X-Pro 1. I’m sure there were “reviews” before the camera was even released. Even if there weren’t I’m sure there were thoughts – probably numbering in the thousands – on forum sites. Quite honestly, I didn’t read any of them.

Then again, I never really do. How is the experience of a retired engineer or a
    forum-whore-turned-blogger going to help me? They’re not.
    Who does this guy think he is, and why does he deserve to be read? I didn't continue onto the third paragraph.
    Amin
    SeriousCompacts.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.seriouscompacts.com/showthread.php?t=6735

6. The following member thanks Amin Sabet for this post:

Real Name
    Mike

I skipped right over that sentence... your right, he's a horses a$$...
    Mike
    Ricoh GR ~ Fuji X-E1 ~ Nikon D610

Real Name
    Steve

It's not really obvious why he was so bitter. He liked his XPro1 and that should make him happy. Maybe he's sensitive about not looking like "a real photographer"?
    E-M5, E-PM2, Stylus 1, RX-7, and XF1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Guffin View Post
    I skipped right over that sentence... your right, he's a horses a$$...
    Maybe so but there are a number of legitimate points made in the review

I've read a few articles in the past from Mr Weeks, and this is the most readable yet and light on profanity too. I suspect he's been in more than a few Leica flame wars.

There's an awful lot of Leica commentary written by those who have never used the product or walked in Weeks' shoes.

Agree with Weeks or not, as a long time Leica film and digital M user the guy has at least come to develop his opinions based on actual experience with the cameras and as a member of the Leica user community.

His writing style is... challenging. But entertaining. ;)
    Mike | Vancouver BC

Real Name
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by adanac View Post
    His writing style is... challenging. But entertaining. ;)
    +1

Chris Weeks has been around the block for a while, way before I started enjoying photography about 3+ years ago. He's brutally honest about his opinions, and he doesn't sugarcoat anything. I don't agree with him on a lot of issues, including many non-photography related issues. But he does take good street and editorial photos. And his video about street photography is a must watch for anyone interested in the genre. If memory serves me correctly, he did have a good relationship with folks like Steve Huff and Thorsten Overgaard. But I have no idea what happened.
    Armanius
    My Flickr
    Current Gear: A little bit of this and a little bit of that, but want more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast