Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Buy This Camera?

Real Name
    Amin

Would You Buy This Camera?

Name:  rx50.png
Views: 5339
Size:  353.6 KB
    Note: This camera does not exist. But I wish it did.

-18.3mm (50mm equivalent) f/1.2 optically stabilized prime lens
    -Similar size to RX100 (slightly thicker).
    -Same sensor, AF, display as RX100
    -$650 street price

Let's call it the RX50.

Would you buy it?
    Amin
    SeriousCompacts.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.seriouscompacts.com/showthread.php?t=6735

Probably yes. But a 35mm equivalent would make it a definite yes.

I wouldn't buy a 50mm equivalent "prime compact", too limiting for my taste. A 35mm equivalent would be interesting.
    A 10mm (28mm equivalent) f2.8 lens, this sensor and the Ricoh GRD control system would be lovely though.
    Sony RX100m2, Sony A6000
    My Flickr.

50/1.2 would be interesting. You'd have to stop down for sharpness, but fast when you need it. 50mm is my preferred focal length. Might buy it.
    Obsessed with photography . This Is What I Saw . Flickr . Zenfolio

Real Name
    Lili
    In a heart beat. But then my favorite carry-camera is my Ricoh GRD. so using a fast prime lens is familiar and happy to me :)
    Last edited by Lili; July 30th, 2012 at 12:13 AM.

Real Name
    Amin

I'd generally prefer a 35mm equivalent but was thinking that 50 would basically give unprecedented DOF control in this (size) class of camera.

Would be interesting for sure, and I would definitely buy it.

A year or two ago, this would have been considered impossible to make. However, the LX3, S90, and RX100 have each taken a step beyond was had been done in terms of speed for a given body size and format size, so I believe this concept RX50 to be possible.
    Amin
    SeriousCompacts.com Webmaster (Site FAQ | Help Forum | My Disclosures | My Flickriver | My G+ Profile)

You can help pay our server bills when you buy anything online: http://www.seriouscompacts.com/showthread.php?t=6735

Definitely. But I preferred a 40mm equivalent focal length (a slight trade off between dof control and versatility) and it should have at least the option to use an external OVF.

nope, would need to be a 35 or 28, then yes, the dof in a compact would not motivate me

Real Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Amin Sabet View Post
    I'd generally prefer a 35mm equivalent but was thinking that 50 would basically give unprecedented DOF control in this (size) class of camera.

Would be interesting for sure, and I would definitely buy it.

A year or two ago, this would have been considered impossible to make. However, the LX3, S90, and RX100 have each taken a step beyond was had been done in terms of speed for a given body size and format size, so I believe this concept RX50 to be possible.
    You're absolutely right about that, Amin. And, as we all know, everything's a trade-off and compromise. But I still think 35mm would be far more useful for general use. Yes, you'd have more depth-of-field control with a 50, but it's just a bit too tight for my personal tastes.

It's funny. Your recent purchase of a Voigtlander Bessa had me looking at them today - and thinking about optimal focal lengths if I had one lens only. I loved 35mm on film cameras. I was seriously considering picking up a Bessa L zone-focus camera but the only screw-mount lenses still available for it were too wide (15 and 21). I wouldn't go wider than 25 on a general-use film camera.
    Last edited by Biro; July 30th, 2012 at 12:58 AM.
    Pentax K-5 and K-5 IIs; Olympus E-M5 and Stylus 1; Ricoh GR, Fujifilm X-A1 and XF1

Real Name
    Julien
    I'd definitely consider a 35mm f1.4 IS version of this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast