Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G1X Images

Real Name
    Dennis

G1X Images

I get the feeling that this camera isn't selling too well.
    It certainly fails to impress when I hold it , look at its lacklustre focusing and wonder at its dated looks but whenever I get the images back to my computer I realise that this is something special.
    This is my Fuji X100 with a telephoto lens!
    Some samples taken at Conwy , N Wales this weekend.

2. The following 10 members thank nippa for this post:

These are really nice and I love the more subdued colours. Seems to suit the English landscape better :)

I've been liking the images Lucky Penguin has been getting with his too. I've never been to Wales, but your images tempt me to visit. Lovely.
    Cheers, Karen

My pics on Flickr

5. The following member thanks Briar for this post:

Real Name
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by christilou View Post
    These are really nice and I love the more subdued colours. Seems to suit the English landscape better :)
    It actually does subdued colours very well. Sometimes I see a Leicaesque Look.
    In bright sunshine things are not quite as good with more saturation than I'd like but RAW files can be worked on quite easily.

I've hesitated to say this before but for me this is a better camera than my Fuji X100 ; images are much crisper and low noise is remarkable.
    It also beats my m4/3 gear and my Sony A55 for IQ ; just wish it was nicer to use.

7. The following member thanks nippa for this post:

Real Name
    Nic

Great shots, Nippa! I think you've really shown the G1X in it's element. I love the detail in the last image.

I tend to think of the G1X as an unpolished diamond, and I share your frustrations with it's lack of responsiveness. If you were an existing G series or fixed lens compact user you'd think it was just situation normal and just be going "holy c**p at the results from the lens/sensor combination. Coming from more advanced cameras it definitely feels slow but there's still no denying the IQ.

Operationally, the thing I like most about the G1X are the controls, the handling, and the balance. I think that this is where the G1X's larger size is an asset; the camera never feels "lens heavy". My only real comment on the sensor after having now used the Olympus E-M5 as well is that you can't push the exposure as far to the right on the G1X as you can on the Olympus. Having said that, it's less of a criticism of the Canon than it is a compliment to the Olympus.
    Last edited by Luckypenguin; June 20th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
    Nic (Canonite, Olympian, Panasonian, Samsunite) ~flickr~

Real Name
    Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Briar View Post
    I've been liking the images Lucky Penguin has been getting with his too. I've never been to Wales, but your images tempt me to visit. Lovely.
    Thanks Karen. The G1X has become a real favourite of mine, despite the odd flaw. Some more recent images:

Colour

B&W (the G1X is probably the best b&w camera that I have used.)

As a bonus, the G1X does some of the coolest (filter-free) sunstar effects when stopped down

Last edited by Luckypenguin; June 20th, 2012 at 09:14 AM.

10. The following 7 members thank Luckypenguin for this post:

Behave Nic, you had me playing with one in a shop today. My husband dragged me out before I could do any damage to our bank balance! It was a close call!

I particularly like the way you are processing your black and white images.
    Cheers, Karen

My pics on Flickr

12. The following 2 members thank Briar for this post:

Real Name
    BB

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this camera...been too disconnected with camera news of late.

I must know if what kind of bird that is who's resting in such a beautiful spot in your third photo, Dennis? I don't think we have them over here in the states.

Nic, I noticed that museum interior shot and liked it immediately - saw it over on Flickr. If I didn't remark there, I am now - it made me smile...I sense a bit of humor and I love the design.
    BB

**an evolving photographer.

~ BB's Flickr photostream & Flickriver or Fluidr

14. The following member thanks BBW for this post:

Real Name
    Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Briar View Post
    Behave Nic, you had me playing with one in a shop today. My husband dragged me out before I could do any damage to our bank balance! It was a close call!

I particularly like the way you are processing your black and white images.
    Thanks Karen. I commend you on your willpower (albeit husband-assisted ). What were your initial impressions of the camera? I ordered mine online so I didn't get to form an opinion by handling or using it before purchasing. Very glad I did obviously!

I've been trying to figure out what it is that I like about the G1X converted to B&W. It doesn't have the same dynamic range as the Olympus E-M5 and it probably has a little more noise at any given ISO, but it does seem to handle tones smoothly and the noise patterns seem very consistent across light and shadows. The B&Ws above are from CR2 files converted to DNG, opened in Adobe Camera Raw and then processed through Silver Efex and Color Efex.

Real Name
    Nic

Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    Nic, I noticed that museum interior shot and liked it immediately - saw it over on Flickr. If I didn't remark there, I am now - it made me smile...I sense a bit of humor and I love the design.
    Thanks BB. The first four B&Ws were all taken in or around our State Art Gallery.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast