Micro 4/3 Panasonic LX100!!!! Money is flying from my credit card!

I use fill flash all the time, and adding that big cube on top of the camera is a pain in the ASS! :) not to mention putting it my bag or pocket.. very cumbersome..

Hey Doug.. good to see ya buddy. You don't need no stinkin' flash, man. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face... I'll bet you would love this camera... and perhaps open some shadows in Lightroom... quick and easy to do. The files have so much rich information that can be easily pulled out. If you gave it a go you would probably find that you can live, happily, without a flash no problemo! Shoot me an e- and we can discuss it more, if you like. Hope you two are doing well and seeing lots of new sights.

I use fill flash all the time, and adding that big cube on top of the camera is a pain in the ASS! :) not to mention putting it my bag or pocket.. very cumbersome..

I'm with you. And no touch screen either! I guess Panny wanted to hit a price point. I wish they would offer a "full feature" version for whatever they need to charge.

I guess they don't want to kill gm1/gm5/gx7 or keep it for future model upgrades... They are the biggest competition to LX100 esp older models selling for a discounted price... GX7 is selling for $597/$697 after $100 gift card at B&H...

I'm with you. And no touch screen either! I guess Panny wanted to hit a price point. I wish they would offer a "full feature" version for whatever they need to charge.

I just checked the ephotozine raw file of the house shot at 10.9mm (24mm equiv) in dcraw. I couldn't match the colors, but the file looks sharp and nice... I checked the raw size, 4120x3096 (12MP). Then I corrected the distortion (+55) in LR and cropped the image. Then the LR jpg image looked still wider then Panasonic image and has 3548x2666 pixels (9.5MP ~ 74% of original). When I checked the Panasonic jpg from the camera has 4112x3088 pixels (nearly at 99% of raw image size). So like G7x/G1X II/Pana FZ1000, the camera is resizing the raw image on the wide side (most probably from 9MP to 12MP)....

I just checked the ephotozine raw file of the house shot at 10.9mm (24mm equiv) in dcraw. I couldn't match the colors, but the file looks sharp and nice... I checked the raw size, 4120x3096 (12MP). Then I corrected the distortion (+55) in LR and cropped the image. Then the LR jpg image looked still wider then Panasonic image and has 3548x2666 pixels (9.5MP ~ 74% of original). When I checked the Panasonic jpg from the camera has 4112x3088 pixels (nearly at 99% of raw image size). So like G7x/G1X II/Pana FZ1000, the camera is resizing the raw image on the wide side (most probably from 9MP to 12MP)....

Do you mean to say that after crop and distortion correction, it's a smaller (9MP) file to they upscale it to 12MP?

Yes. They were discussing it in the gx7 posts in dpreview eg how Sony vs Canon does it, but Panasonic does it too. Yes, the cropped corrected raw image is around 9MP. I don't how they resize it, but the final camera jpeg image is 12MP.

Do you mean to say that after crop and distortion correction, it's a smaller (9MP) file to they upscale it to 12MP?

The same thing happens on every camera that I am aware of which utilizes in-camera lens correction for distortion (usually de-fishing), including interchangeable lens cameras. Apparently it would not do for a camera to be producing images at less than the advertised resolution so they up-res every image whenever lens corrections for distortion are applied. I had some screenshot examples from the original Canon G1X at it's widest angle somewhere but I'm not sure how easy they'll be to find.

I always knew about the de-fishing, but the upressing of jpgs I didn't know when on.
Do Fuji do any de-fishing or upressing in the X cameras and lenses?

Assuming everything works as intended (as I fully expect from any LX series cam), this one has "instant classic" written all over it. I don't have any need for a compact zoom, but I'm gonna be hard pressed to resist this baby...

-Ray

For the sake of the podcast, you and the rest of the team should definitely buy this camera and tell us about it! Where is the podcast, btw? It has been too long! They're always great.

For the sake of the podcast, you and the rest of the team should definitely buy this camera and tell us about it! Where is the podcast, btw? It has been too long! They're always great.

I lost interest in it shortly after my initial burst of enthusiasm, realizing it wouldn't make ANY sense for me to buy a zoom compact that didn't have a decent portrait range, since I already have great fixed lens compacts at the wide end and I rarely shoot in the middle. So I bought a G7X - I can discuss that one in any future podcast, but I'm not buying the LX100...

-Ray

:) Here you go:
ephotozine: Panasonic Lumix GM5 Full Review

I found the lens is slow for low light, esp 2 stops difference from LX100, but you can change to the primes where it shines esp now with evf...

1000-Panasonic-Lumix-GM5-Sony-RX100-II-3_1413541770.jpg

Let's also not forget the GM5 :)

I found the lens is slow for low light, esp 2 stops difference from LX100, but you can change to the primes where it shines esp now with evf...

The lens may be slow, but it's also surprisingly sharp and contrasty - I use it a lot on my PM1. Still, I think the LX100 (which also sports O.I.S. - a better version, at that!) is the much better deal if you want a complete package, and it is almost as compact, the EVF is in another league (the one in the GM5 is said to be a little smaller and less contrasty than the one in the RX100 III - which in turn, while sharp, isn't all that great because it's rather small; still probably best in class ...), and the handling is much more traditional without breaking the bank (think Leica M). I simply adore that.

Nevertheless, the GM5 is one intriguing offering, but if you want truely competitive glass on there, it ends up being a lot more expensive than the LX100 - and bulkier in the end. The GM5 with the 15mm f/1.7, that'd be a great combo - but look at the price and form factor. That said, this setup would certainly beat the LX100 for IQ (while being considerably less flexible, of course).

My(!) bottom line: You obviously can't have it all ... but the LX100 comes really, really close.

M.

I do hope that Panasonic sells lots of LX100s so that they can see customer interest and maybe make lenses they wouldn't otherwise! I want them to make THE trio of F1.4 primes. they already have the 50mm equiv yet are still missing the 17.5mm F1.4 and the 42.5mm F1.2 is too bloody expensive for many of us.

focus-numerique LX100 review
First, by the integration of a sensor 4/3 (17.3 x 13 mm) and a 24-75 mm zoom f / 1.7-2.8. This couple, supported by the processing engine Venus Engine data to allow the camera to deliver beautiful images to ISO 1600 and climb without much difficulty until 3200 ISO. The optical power zoom is also of good quality, with good sharpness throughout the zoom range and the center, which is usual, edges a little "soft" wide open.

In terms of ergonomics, we appreciate the direct access to the aperture (optical) and exposure time (wheel) - Settings old probably inspired by Leica, a partner at the design of the optics. The LX100 has 3 buttons and a customizable rear thumbwheel to quickly change options shooting.

The development is a treat in automatic mode. The AF system is probably the best performing market in contrast detection. It gives excellent results both photo and video recording. Focus is fast and tracking AF is fast and accurate enough to keep pace with 11 fps. In video, the LX100 also provide satisfaction in terms of image quality including excellent 4K TV mode.

However engineers have failed micro and headphone jacks. In addition, however, we regret the absence of a swivel LCD and touch screen. These features are now commonplace, and they have found their perfect places on advanced cameras.

Despite some flaws, the Panasonic LX100 is the expert compact of the moment and receives our high recommendation.

Strong Points:
  • Very good noise control up to ISO 1600
  • Autofocus in most lighting conditions
  • 24-75 mm optical light and quality
  • Good macro mode with focus at 3cm
  • Accurate and wide integrated electronic viewfinder
  • Video mode at 25 fps 4K TV and HDTV 1080-50 fps
  • Direct access to the opening and speed
  • Artistic filters, panoramic image by scanning and full-auto easily accessible
  • Good finish and nice grip
  • Ring adjustable objective
  • Wi-Fi and NFC built for easy image transfer
  • Burst mode at 11 fps
  • Device generally silent
  • Flash sync at high speeds: 1/500 s, 1/1000 s

Weak Points:
  • No swivel screen or touch
  • No built-in flash (but included in the box)
  • Effects rainbow sky in the electronic viewfinder (sequential display)
  • Exposure latitude in the high lights limited
  • EVF ratio 16: 9
  • No microphone input and headphone output not
  • No possibility to fulfill the exif fields for author
  • Light crop video in 4K TV
  • Turning a little slow
  • RAW RW2 owner
  • Not possible recharge MicroUSB
  • Petal cap (which opens to power) is optional

DPREVIEW gave it 85% and gold.

It should be apparent that we really liked the LX100. It's not a small camera, but it's not that much bigger than the likes of the Canon PowerShot G12, which people happily carried around. And, importantly, it offers significantly better image quality than pretty much any zoom compact ever made. It's not a camera entirely without flaws but most of them are so minor that it's unlikely they'll ever be more than slight irritations about a camera you'll love.

Other than size, it's the camera's zoom range that stops it being the ideal camera for a majority of dedicated photographers. I did find the 24-75mm equivalent range a touch restrictive, but it's the only major concern I had: my overall experience has been much more about what the camera can do than what it can't. The LX100 is a pleasure to use and offers superb image quality. I'd consider it the best photographers' cameras on the market and probably the best zoom compact ever made.

I got my hands on it yesterday and I bloody loved it.
6EoD8HAl.jpg

Back