Samsung Samsung Firmware Update Notification Service

Matt Everglade

Regular
Hey

today I’d like to introduce a new service I developed the last days, the Samsung NX Firmware Update Notification Service. So what is it about? This server regularly (approx. every 8 hours) checks the web for new firmware information and in case a new firmware is found it sends a notification via e-mail. The mail contains the new firmware version, the change log and a download link. You can subscribe to this service and choose which cameras and lenses you are interested to get notifications for. The service is free of charge.

You can either register on the blog or simply subscribe with your e-mail address. If you’d like to change your subscription settings later I would recommend to register on the blog before subscribing to the notification service. If you have suggestions for this service or questions, just let me know.

Firmware Update Notification Service | Matt Everglade

This is an example mail you might get in case a new firmware was released:
Hey,
there is a new firmware available.

Product: Samsung 60mm F2.8
New Version: 1.01
Download: http://samsungimaging.cloudapp.net/f..._FW_v01.01.zip

Description:
1. Title - Firmware version v1.01
2. Applicable Model - NX Lens 60mm
3. Corporate Customer - open market
4. Description
This is the latest LENS firmware.
To maximize improved firmware performance, body firmware should be the latest version.

[v1.01 improved items]
- Improved compatibility of the NX1 AF performace

Kind regards,
Matt Everglade
Matt Everglade | Photography & Samsung NX

Indeed, blimey.

I don't own a Samsung camera but what would be really good is some sort of push service that texts me the location of the last thing I mislaid.

Every 5 mins would be about the correct frequency

Obviously if the last thing I mislaid was my phone it'd be a useless service, but you gotta start somewhere I suppose

I'm surprised camera makers don't just have an email service for their customers so they can hear it straight from the horse's mouth. But until they do that, I think this seems like a great service.

I've never actually registered my contact details through a camera manufacturer before so I have no idea which ones offer firmware update notifications or not. It makes sense for Fujifilm to do so when their camera/lens communication profile requires a body to have it's firmware updated to make it compatible with new lenses that are released.

Anyhow, nice work Matt! I am now subscribed. I think that my NX300 might even currently be one firmware version behind the latest.

Hi,

the notification (new firmware for the 9mm NX mini lens) sent today was falsely delivered to all subscribers. I am very sorry about this. I made a minor mistake in the database programming part, which is fixed now. In the future you should only get notifications for products you have subscribed to.

Cheers,
Matt

... It makes sense for Fujifilm to do so when their camera/lens communication profile requires a body to have it's firmware updated to make it compatible with new lenses that are released.

Actually, they even render that un-necessary, by flashing up a warning on the rear screen if a new lens is mounted to a body with older firmware. It will still work, in my experience, but you won't get the best from it.

Actually, they even render that un-necessary, by flashing up a warning on the rear screen if a new lens is mounted to a body with older firmware. It will still work, in my experience, but you won't get the best from it.

I was wondering if an unsupported lens meant a black screen affair. Fujifim is the first company I have heard of to require body updates for each new lens so they must have different body/lens firmware protocols compared to the other systems.

Hi,

the notification (new firmware for the 9mm NX mini lens) sent today was falsely delivered to all subscribers. I am very sorry about this. I made a minor mistake in the database programming part, which is fixed now. In the future you should only get notifications for products you have subscribed to.

Cheers,
Matt

I was briefly intrigued by this new 9mm rectilinear Samsung NX lens, but alas :)

Back