Canon Showcase G1X Images

nippa

Top Veteran
Name
Dennis
I get the feeling that this camera isn't selling too well.
It certainly fails to impress when I hold it , look at its lacklustre focusing and wonder at its dated looks but whenever I get the images back to my computer I realise that this is something special.
This is my Fuji X100 with a telephoto lens!
Some samples taken at Conwy , N Wales this weekend.

IMG_2195_Snapseed.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_2218_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2245_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2263_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2209_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2257_Snapseed.jpg

These are really nice and I love the more subdued colours. Seems to suit the English landscape better :)

It actually does subdued colours very well. Sometimes I see a Leicaesque Look.
In bright sunshine things are not quite as good with more saturation than I'd like but RAW files can be worked on quite easily.

I've hesitated to say this before but for me this is a better camera than my Fuji X100 ; images are much crisper and low noise is remarkable.
It also beats my m4/3 gear and my Sony A55 for IQ ; just wish it was nicer to use.

Great shots, Nippa! I think you've really shown the G1X in it's element. I love the detail in the last image.

I tend to think of the G1X as an unpolished diamond, and I share your frustrations with it's lack of responsiveness. If you were an existing G series or fixed lens compact user you'd think it was just situation normal and just be going "holy c**p at the results from the lens/sensor combination. Coming from more advanced cameras it definitely feels slow but there's still no denying the IQ.

Operationally, the thing I like most about the G1X are the controls, the handling, and the balance. I think that this is where the G1X's larger size is an asset; the camera never feels "lens heavy". My only real comment on the sensor after having now used the Olympus E-M5 as well is that you can't push the exposure as far to the right on the G1X as you can on the Olympus. Having said that, it's less of a criticism of the Canon than it is a compliment to the Olympus.

I've been liking the images Lucky Penguin has been getting with his too. I've never been to Wales, but your images tempt me to visit. Lovely.

Thanks Karen. The G1X has become a real favourite of mine, despite the odd flaw. Some more recent images:

Colour

7271522488_bf8d4807b8_c.jpg

7308220366_e3d7130afd_c.jpg

7319191298_403df949a5_c.jpg

7407428436_47ca95e84a_c.jpg

7203031306_ff1b851164_c.jpg

7279862790_8fe57eac6a_c.jpg

7407414492_1f828a5e2c_c.jpg

B&W (the G1X is probably the best b&w camera that I have used.)

7294631680_6974a9ff76_c.jpg

7301310290_bd8114afd8_c.jpg

7400901760_181d49d7ab_c.jpg

7168336919_cff3f4e174_c.jpg

7294631036_a751919c34_c.jpg

7347962226_00b1aca98e_c.jpg

7324345772_581474c000_c.jpg

7371557702_7e9ac2c094_c.jpg

7407415378_215e8d974d_c.jpg

7407434466_a76223cb1e_c.jpg

7358865456_5b136b28ef_c.jpg

As a bonus, the G1X does some of the coolest (filter-free) sunstar effects when stopped down :)

7407427596_8b2aee1bd5_c.jpg

7308228366_e91d516119_c.jpg

Behave Nic, you had me playing with one in a shop today. My husband dragged me out before I could do any damage to our bank balance! It was a close call!

I particularly like the way you are processing your black and white images.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this camera...been too disconnected with camera news of late.

I must know if what kind of bird that is who's resting in such a beautiful spot in your third photo, Dennis? I don't think we have them over here in the states.

Nic, I noticed that museum interior shot and liked it immediately - saw it over on Flickr. If I didn't remark there, I am now - it made me smile...I sense a bit of humor and I love the design.

Behave Nic, you had me playing with one in a shop today. My husband dragged me out before I could do any damage to our bank balance! It was a close call!

I particularly like the way you are processing your black and white images.

Thanks Karen. I commend you on your willpower (albeit husband-assisted :)). What were your initial impressions of the camera? I ordered mine online so I didn't get to form an opinion by handling or using it before purchasing. Very glad I did obviously!

I've been trying to figure out what it is that I like about the G1X converted to B&W. It doesn't have the same dynamic range as the Olympus E-M5 and it probably has a little more noise at any given ISO, but it does seem to handle tones smoothly and the noise patterns seem very consistent across light and shadows. The B&Ws above are from CR2 files converted to DNG, opened in Adobe Camera Raw and then processed through Silver Efex and Color Efex.

The B&W look fantastic (do I see a Leica look ;). What's your workflow? You mention slightly superior DR and somewhat less noise of the OM-D. On the other hand, the output from the G1X looks less digital to mee than what I see online from the Olympus. Maybe it's your PP which does the magic.

I get the feeling that this camera isn't selling too well.
It certainly fails to impress when I hold it , look at its lacklustre focusing and wonder at its dated looks but whenever I get the images back to my computer I realise that this is something special.
This is my Fuji X100 with a telephoto lens!
Some samples taken at Conwy , N Wales this weekend.

IMG_2195_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2218_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2245_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2263_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2209_Snapseed.jpg

IMG_2257_Snapseed.jpg

love em all, the colors and subjects...

Nic, out of curiosity: why the step to convert to DNG before opening in ACR? Is that to create an archival copy of the CR2 file?

Hey Chuck. Out of necessity actually :) I can't read the G1X files in my old version of PS/ACR. Using the DNG files also means that I have to do the lens correction manually (the G1X is basically a fisheye at wide angle) since it doesn't retain the software correction data. While this creates an extra step to correct barrel distortion present between 15mm and 30mm, there is extra width available at the widest angle. The G1X is quite conservative in where it crops the corrected image.

Hey Chuck. Out of necessity actually :) I can't read the G1X files in my old version of PS/ACR. Using the DNG files also means that I have to do the lens correction manually (the G1X is basically a fisheye at wide angle) since it doesn't retain the software correction data. While this creates an extra step to correct barrel distortion present between 15mm and 30mm, there is extra width available at the widest angle. The G1X is quite conservative in where it crops the corrected image.

Ah....I forgot about the planned obsolescence strategy that Adobe uses to sell new versions of PS, PS Elements and Lightroom. Good workaround!

Back