a great photo I saw today

As a cattle dog owner I'm always interested in seeing them actually working (instead of grudgingly posing like mine does). This guy on Flickr Jeff has some of the most insane and fantastic shots of them working (and good little tales with many of them)

this impressed me as much for the feat the dog is pulling off as the fact that he actually managed to capture the action. have a look about his albums you'll be impressed (and some of you will end up wanting a Cattle dog - unless you have lots of time to work them have a second thought they will drive you mad and herd you)

Boss 6323

thanks for that link Eddie. some of his get a bit too HDR-ish in the tonemapping, but he has a lot of great captures. This one is one of my faves for the "decisive moment"..... Dot in Your Face

those dogs sure earn their keep!

I'll need to scroll through but i remember a similar one with a Steer about to flip the ACD with his hormns and ther dog ferociously barking, his comment below the shot was the dog won the arguement ;) they really do earn their keep and take a bit of a beating while learning the tricks of the trade (a kick in the head is not unusual once - they learn fast)
I always like this shot for that
Flying Hoof Meets Cattle Dog

and I agree he can be heavy handed in post

I'm getting a huge kick from searching Flickr -something I've not really done in the past to a large extent - masses of fine photographers out there

I imagine that some of them must die during the learning process. A well placed kick I would think would shatter the skull.
it's possible but they have very hard heads (one of the breeds they were developed from way back is pit bulls - hard heads and tenacity came from there, I think they learn very quickly nip the foot with the weight on it. I'll look for it but i saw a video of one get kicked in the head while chasing down a steer. he got up shook his head and went right back at it. As pets they are very owner focused to the exclusion of almost anything else, my boy constantly gets attention from people and he just ignores them and looks at me. there is good and bad there, once in a while it would be nice if he would focus elsewhere (I'm apparently just not capable of wearing him out)

Back