Nature Show "Flowers"

X-T1, 27mm

Attachments

• DSCF1120-2 8x8.jpg
    DSCF1120-2 8x8.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 116
What do you think of the focus point? And should I have used more depth of field?

I find the OOF foreground too distracting. Either focus there or add DOF......probably both. There should have been a point where the reproductive organs are all in focus and the body of the flower is OOF if that was your intent. Next time try more aperture settings (and focus points). The nice thing about shooting flowers is that they will sit for you all day long.

What do you think of the focus point? And should I have used more depth of field?

View attachment 98066

The DOF is always going to be extremely shallow that near to the flower … it will "flight" you

wide apertures do nothing when you are that close, they only worsen what DOF there is, so use at least f8 and above and try a number of shots …… but be careful not to restrict the light too much
Your image is probably slightly over exposed but you can bring that back in PP …….. but even the "in focus area" is OOF in most part, because of the shallow DOF at that distance

spot focusing on the stamens etc is needed but even then you will experience a very shallow DOF

Unless you have a macro lens, don't try to get too near ……… step back and crop and see what the results are like … closest focusing distance on "compacts" don't mean a great deal for macro work

Also any camera movement at that distance will not help at all ……. it will exacerbate even the sharpe areas

Experiment also with the custom setting in the camera that you have used, they could help

Many thanks, I will try that!

But, I was wondering about the min. f8: don't you think I will get to much DOF then: so no blurred background? I was under the impression, with my small-sensor camera that I should zoom + wide aperture to get any bokeh.

Many thanks, I will try that!

But, I was wondering about the min. f8: don't you think I will get to much DOF then: so no blurred background? I was under the impression, with my small-sensor camera that I should zoom + wide aperture to get any bokeh.

try it at all fvalues
There is hardly any "depth" when you are that close and the different between f1.8 and f8 at that close difference is small but maybe just enough to give you more - but sharpness is also important as is very accurate focusing that is why most macro shots use manual focus …….. AF is accurate but not very very very accurate at micro distances

All camera's are differences …… just try other fvalues etc., and see what happens - close up/macros hand held are not easy

You will get some pleasing results but it may take time and practice

I took the following with a 300mm lens, (at an effective 810mm), well back from the flower - but if you want "real" detail you need to get into "macro" photography

300mm.jpg

Have a go at the following

Extreme Macro Photography

There are 3 things that affect depth of field.
1. the size of the sensor. (bigger sensors make shallow DOF easier)
2. the aperture (f -stop) (a larger aperture ...that means a smaller value following the 'f' correlates to a shallower DOF, with the other 2 variables equal)
3. The distance between the focal plane and the subject (people don't often talk about this factor enough when discussing DOF...... the closer your camera is to the subject, the shallower your DOF will be)

So you can use the same settings on the same camera (obviously the sensor size will be the same. Now get up real closelike you are in that flower shot, and you DOF will be VERY narrow. Back your camera up and more will be in focus, back it up even further and even more will be in focus.

In this shot (with a small sensor Fuji) I was able to blur out the background at f5.6 because the subject was close to the camera. I experimented with different settings and distances. I wanted the whole foreground flower in focus, then the 2nd one I wanted mainly in focus, but starting to blur and staggered the other flowers at different distances from the focal plane go from slightly blurry to totally blurred out.
15118181101_28ee3935fc_c.jpg
color and shape in the garden by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

Hi everyone, It's been a while since I last share my picture,
looking through all the pic I miss they are all awesome with extremely good detail.

I have the opportunity to witness a flower show recently held in Singapore my homeland,
though the photo is not very well taken as the display was pretty dark and also I could not deploy tripod,
so all are hand held snap shot.

[
15060686559_21e3db2bff_b.jpg

Back