Panasonic Rumor - Panasonic LX8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't try to keep anyone from buying a new toy, but wouldn't a crop from your Coolpix be just as good (or better) than the long end of the zoom on that smaller sensor?

If it's 1", maybe possibly, but probably not if it's a 20mp 1" sensor. But I don't "see" that way out there anyway. If I want a zoom (which I rarely do), I want a real zoom.

The more I think about this, though, the more the lens configuration makes me scratch my head. And ultimately I realize I don't know SQUAT about lens designs and limitations. The rumor right along was that we were looking at a 24-90 equivalent, f2-2.8. Taken in the context of the Canon G1XmkII I can just about see this being possible even with an m43 sensor. Because the Canon has a larger than m43 sensor, a notably longer zoom of 24-120, with the same f2.0 at the wide end but a full stop slower at f3.9 at the long end. So it makes sense that if the sensor is smaller and the zoom range is shorter, you can probably get a somewhat faster overall lens in there.

BUT....

Then I think of it in the context of the Panasonic 12-35 and Olympus 12-40, both constant f2.8 lenses for m43. Both somewhat SHORTER than this lens would be rumored to be and neither as fast at the wide end, but every bit as fast at the long end. And those are both pretty BIG lenses. Not by APS or full frame standards, but both are a lot bigger than I can see folding down into a compact like this would likely be. Unless the lens just absolutely sucks and needs gobs and gobs of software correction to be at all workable. So then I'm thinking NO WAY this is gonna be 24-90 f2-2.8 with an m43 sensor. So it's gotta be 1".

So clearly I don't have a clue. But if they manage to make it an m43 24-90 at f2.0 - 2.8 in a compact camera that somehow costs the same or less than the 12-35 lens on it's own, they're taking sales from them-selves. So I can't see it.

It'll be interewsting to see, but I can't speculate any further, once I realize I can't even comprehend my own speculation to this point...

-Ray

All of the above said, I fully expect to buy the next LX if it has a 24-90mm f/2.0-2.8 lens, a one-inch sensor and a built-in EVF with at least the resolution of the FZ1000's... all wrapped up in a body about the size of an LX7. In fact, I'd sell off at least two of my current cameras to get it.

I'm finding that I'm spending more time lately reading all the rumor posts here and at DPR, than I'm spending using the equipment I have. I have to stay off of these forums until Actual announcements are made. :)

Sent from my iPad using SeriousCompacts

Looks like you may have to change the title of this thread as it looks like it will be called a LX100 and have a fixed lens with M4/3 sensor and integral viewfinder! Let's hope this is all true. This 'could possibly' replace all my M4/3 stuff!

Looks like you may have to change the title of this thread as it looks like it will be called a LX100 and have a fixed lens with M4/3 sensor and integral viewfinder! Let's hope this is all true. This 'could possibly' replace all my M4/3 stuff!

Do you know something we don't Andy? Or are you just getting caught up with the most recent set of rumors???

-Ray

Seems the fella over at 43rumors (the source of all truth) has put an FT5 on the new Panasonic LX100 as having an 12-35/f1.7-2.8fixed zoom and the same GH4 sensor....along with an inbuilt EVF, 4K video and almost certainly either IBIS or IOS etc etc

If true, that's a very handy zoom range...and a surprisingly fast/bright one at that. The LX100/LX8 or whatever this things is called, may be a VERY interesting option...SO many boxes being ticked, make it weather sealed and dare I say it, the perfect compact all-rounder.

But with a lens of those specs...I simply can't see this thing being all too compact !

Seems the fella over at 43rumors (the source of all truth) has put an FT5 on the new Panasonic LX100 as having an 12-35/f1.7-2.8fixed zoom and the same GH4 sensor....along with an inbuilt EVF, 4K video and almost certainly either IBIS or IOS etc etc

If true, that's a very handy zoom range...and a surprisingly fast/bright one at that. The LX100/LX8 or whatever this things is called, may be a VERY interesting option...SO many boxes being ticked, make it weather sealed and dare I say it, the perfect compact all-rounder.

But with a lens of those specs...I simply can't see this thing being all too compact !
Amen on the weather sealed thing - I don't think I'd be able to resist it then!

On 43rumors they say it's surprisingly compact, whatever that may mean... I hope it means "smaller than the G1X mkII" (which has a slightly larger sensor and a longer lens, but that lens does reach f/2.8 by 28mm equivalent already)...

The rumored specs don't add up, literally:

"10.9–34mm f/1.7–2.8 ASPH lens (24-75mm equivalent)
4/3 sensor"

10.9mm times the 2x crop factor of 4/3 is not 24mm
34mm times 2x is 68mm, not 75mm.

Something is amiss.

Yup, that'd be my guess also. And if that means an extra-wide native 16:9 aspect ratio at 24mm equivalent (which would give the same horizontal FOV of ~21mm equivalent at 4:3 aspect ratio), I'm all for it! (y)

The rumored specs don't add up, literally:

"10.9–34mm f/1.7–2.8 ASPH lens (24-75mm equivalent)
4/3 sensor"

10.9mm times the 2x crop factor of 4/3 is not 24mm
34mm times 2x is 68mm, not 75mm.

Something is amiss.
It sounds like a multi-aspect sensor (YAY!), which can throw off the megapickel count and the focal length "crop factor" by a little bit. This one sounds pretty specific, down to the diagram of where it fits between the size of the RX100 and the G1X mkII. So I'd bet it really is a 24-75 equivalent but not a a precise 2 times crop factor.

Sounds like a REALLY compelling little package, with that GH4 sensor, which is a great sensor. The only drawback for me is the lesser range at the long end. I consider 90mm to be a minimum for an effective portrait length. So topping out at 70mm really limits it's use as a SINGLE walk around camera. For me at least. That said, it's a better sensor than the 1" Sony (although only very much better in low light - that 1" really hits above its weight otherwise) and I'd bet a far better camera ergonomically. But it makes for a pretty direct competition with the RX100 mkIII, which is at 24-70 with similar lens speed. If you want pocketable, you'll go for the Sony, if you prefer a slightly larger camera with what I assume will be better handling, you'll go for the Panasonic. Presuming similar prices of course...

-Ray

Actually, looking at the dimensions posted on 4/3 rumors, this thing is gonna be extremely close to the proportions of the RX1 (take off the hood and lens cap), so this lens is gonna be relatively beefy for a compact. It also makes me think it could be a hell of a lens! But if those dimensions are right, this is gonna be a different kind of compact camera with much of the lens out front, instead of collapsing into the camera body.

Interestinger and interestinger....

EDIT - I just checked and the GIX mkII is basically just as deep and larger in the other dimensions. Then again, it also zooms to 120mm, so it's got a really useful 80-120 portrait range as well as a good wide to normal range...

-Ray

Interesting size and camera... If they use the 2.2x multiplier with 16MP sensor, then the resolution will be around 13MP, close to more GX1 II also...

So basicly we're looking at a GX7 with a 12-35 f2.8 lens fixed, only smaller and with 4K video?
It's going to cost a fortune I think!

Yeah, I'm looking at my 12-35 F2.8 and wondering how they are going to make it smaller AND faster…

Unless this thing is LX-7 sized or smaller, a used GM1, GX1, or GX7 is a better option for me.

Just have a look at the size of the lens on the G1X MkII, and consider that it is a 5x zoom and projects onto a slightly larger than 4/3 sensor. That's the benefit of being able to collapse the lens inside the body of the camera, unlike an ILC.

So basicly we're looking at a GX7 with a 12-35 f2.8 lens fixed, only smaller and with 4K video?
It's going to cost a fortune I think!

Faster than f2.8, since it's 1.7 at the wide end. But not quite a GX7 in that it'll use the sensor as a multi-aspect sensor, so not quite 16mp - sounds more like 13mp. But a hell of a package, and I'll be VERY surprised if it's not price competitive with the RX100 and G1X mkII...

HEY, WAIT A MINUTE - I thought cost was no object!!!! :D

-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back