Sony final word on flashing external from Sony....not good.

rpavich

Veteran
Ok....I just got off of the phone with Sony tech support. I bought an HVL F43AM flash because it said that it was wireless compatible with the RX1.

Well...long story short the WAY it's compatible is that it will trigger OTHER ADDITIONAL Sony compatible as long as it's connected to the hot shoe.

Not what I wanted at all. I thought that it was like the Nikon commander mode....it's not.

It appears that external flashing is limited to a few different ways:

1.) Multi-function-to-normal hotshoe adapter> wireless manual trigger // wireless receiver on flash.

2.) External compatible flash that will trigger other flashes from the hotshoe

3.) The Pop up flash triggering other flashes via optical slave mode.

The issues I see are that I don't want to take my EVF off all of the time to put a trigger on unless I HAVE to for some special reason. The only option that seems remotely acceptable to me is the pop up flash mode.

Oh well...live and learn...anyone wanna buy an HVL F43AM?

Hi rpavich,

You and I have discussed this elsewhere, thanks again for the tip. For the benefit of other SC readers, you had suggested flash triggering with flash comp turned way down. Flash zebra sells an inexpensive alpha shoe flash trigger. It's not ideal but does the job reasonably well.

Back to your OP, I've been wondering about wireless mode. Did they explain what wireless mode on the RX1 menu is? Since infrared wireless ETTL is a function of the flash I'm confused by this menu item. I haven't been able to trigger my sony flash in optical slave mode without the flash zebra adapter. The way the menu and manual looks gives the impression the pop up flash can trigger a stand mounted flash directly with no adapters required. Just like you stated above, it's not like Nikon commander mode. So how does it work? Am I missing something? Thanks!

Hi rpavich,

You and I have discussed this elsewhere, thanks again for the tip. For the benefit of other SC readers, you had suggested flash triggering with flash comp turned way down. Flash zebra sells an inexpensive alpha shoe flash trigger. It's not ideal but does the job reasonably well.

Back to your OP, I've been wondering about wireless mode. Did they explain what wireless mode on the RX1 menu is? Since infrared wireless ETTL is a function of the flash I'm confused by this menu item. I haven't been able to trigger my sony flash in optical slave mode without the flash zebra adapter. The way the menu and manual looks gives the impression the pop up flash can trigger a stand mounted flash directly with no adapters required. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Hey,
The way I understand it; wireless mode just allows you to put a compatible wireless flash ON the hotshoe and THAT FLASH will act as a master for the other flashes. You are right...it gives the impression that it happens right from the camera doesn't it? (like Nikon's commander mode) That's why i bought the Sony flash but after being on tech support, the actual situation is different, so I returned the flash.

I was so disappointed.

Back